Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2002 8:05:29 PM EDT
Here's the story: Our student government here  held a "Tuck-in" auction today. Basically what happens is a person will get up and propose to do some(like taking the winner out to dinner for free, doing the winner's laundry , etc.) and people will bid money to be the person to get the "prize." The proceeds go to a charity chosen by the guy who was running the auction(he is computing for "Charity King" for our organization among other Campus orgs. The winner gets crowned at homecoming.) Well, being the proud gun owner I am, I offered to take somebody to the range to learn to shoot a gun. Well, a freshman girl ended up winning(for $23 for those who care).

So we are going either next friday or the following friday. I'll probably start here off with my bolt .22, but she really wants to shoot my AR(don't they all? [;)])

Anyway, any suggestions about things I make sure I do? I'm definitely going to give her a safety speech.

Just increasing the ranks of pro-gun people. I've always wanted to take non-gun people out to the range, I just never had the ammo or time to do so. Now I do [:)]
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 8:16:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Assuming that the girl had never shot a firearm before, I'd place an emphasis on the "sport" aspect of shooting, on Olympic competition, on the technology involved in modern firearms and ammo, on developing good marksmanship skills, on timing, on good ear and eye protection, on shooting at bullseyes and not silhouettes; and a lesser emphasis on hunting and military applications of guns.  I'd probably start shooting rifles from a bench so that she won't be struggling with controlling the weight of the rifle, and so that you minimize the variables involved in the process.  I'd shoot from a range that makes hitting the bullseyes possible.
Pick a nice, sunny day, and have fun.  
Be respectful, drive defensively, wear your seatbelt, and be safe, never threatening.

Sounds like a fun blind date.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 8:18:19 PM EDT
[#2]
so let me guess... there was a $25 OPENING bid?  [;)]

.22 is the way to start (after SAFETY, of course) [:)]

good luck!

Link Posted: 9/19/2002 8:18:22 PM EDT
[#3]
get a bunch of human shaped targets, with blue UN helmets

talk to her the whole time about how she has to get ready to repel the UN invasion

Link Posted: 9/19/2002 8:20:03 PM EDT
[#4]
yer gonna get [sex]

..all that power in her wittle hands
[:D]
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 8:23:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Safety; History; Engineering; Process of ignition/components of the cartridge; rifling imparting the spin on the bullet; what's left of the cartridge after the bullet leaves the bbl.; ALL in simple terms to give her an idea of what's happening when she pulls the trigger.

The .22 bolt-action and an AR15 would be enough for a 2-3 hour session and to pique her interest and understanding.  She won't be afraid of guns if she knows what they are and how they work.

Good Luck.
You've got a great day ahead of you.
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 9:03:28 PM EDT
[#6]
First off, CONGRATULATIONS Liberty!  Great idea.

Second, a lot of you guys don't get out much do you?  There is not a woman around who wants to hear about engineering or the combustion process or the history or the technology.  

Think about this from her perspective:  She wants to have fun, she's probably nervous.  

Give her a SIMPLE safety lesson (4 rules great).  Don't emphasis that if she messes up she'll lose her hand and for heaven's sake don't give her any line like "And if you point that rifle at me, I'll blow your head off!

Let her shoot at some relatively close targets maybe some reactive targets (soda cans?).  Its nice to actually see something hit.  

Let her try the AR.  Especially if you have a light barrel (vice one of the heavy barrel target models so popular a few years ago).  She can handle the recoil.

Try a little humor.  Its well known that the devil has no sense of humor.  

Bring the .22 also in case she's freaked by the AR.  (Some people like the idea but can't actually do it.)  If you have a .22 pistol, bring that too.

Give us a report how it goes.

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 9:31:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
get a bunch of human shaped targets, with blue UN helmets

talk to her the whole time about how she has to get ready to repel the UN invasion

View Quote

Buwhahahahahaha.

Anyway, is she hot?
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 9:36:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I agree with frances on the soda cans and spinner targets.  Makes things a little more interesting.  Have you met this young lady before?  If not, I would try to get ahold of her before you go and just try to get to know each other.  It will break the ice before the big day.  

And remember, NO  [sex] unless she has photo ID showing she 18!  Other than that, just have fun and definately go over safety and make sure to inform her that we shoot because its fun, not to become proficiant at killing people (military exempt)

Keving67
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 9:41:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I have taken several "initiates" to the range and almost all now regularly ask to go again.  I learned fast to use the simplest gun in stock to keep them from getting intimidated.  I have found propoints and holo sights are excellent ways to build confidence quickly.  Have some "fun" guns on hand to expand the session with depending on how she takes to it.  You have to tailor the day to her skill/comfort level as you go and DON'T push her to keep shooting if she wants to stop.  Aside from the commandments MAKE SURE TO GO OVER THE PARTS OF THE GUN FIRST BEFORE GOING TO THE LINE. Have her show you how to engage/disengage the safety. Have her dry fire the gun a few times if you are not opposed to that to let her feel where the trigger breaks and to go over breathing.  And for god's sake don't start in on her about the politics of gun control unless she initiates it.  Just show her we are not all a bunch of "nuts" or "hicks".  If you have one near, go the the swankiest, cleanest and well lit range in town. Hope that helps!  

HINT- the ladies like a clean bathroom.
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 10:21:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I've taken several ladies to the range for their first time holding the large and powerful.

Reactive targets are a big crowd pleaser as stated above.

One tip, stand behind her and position her so that she hits the targets and well, you know, contact.  This is also an excellent way to begin what could end up as a long evening.
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 10:26:28 PM EDT
[#11]
don't forget ears and eyes.
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 10:31:20 PM EDT
[#12]
YES!!!   DUDE!!!!    

OK...   try some easy and reactive targets...  like balloons....   make it fun!!!  New shooters like to know when they've hit the target...   don't forget to throw in dinner or lunch...  
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 10:37:06 PM EDT
[#13]
After you do the saftey stuff- make it fun
10/22 or the like usually leaves them reaching
for "MORE AMMO!"
If she wants to try the ar I suggest ear plugs
with muffs over them
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 11:15:07 PM EDT
[#14]
NO PISTOLS!  I let a girl from New Delhi, India talk me into letting her shoot my 44 Magnum in 1970.  After carefully demonstrating (1 shot) and explaining what to do, she took the SA revolver and held on tight UNTIL IT WENT OFF!

Landed 15 feet behind her after leaving an inch long scrape right up the middle of her forehead.  Hard to explain to a non-English speaking Hindu mother who suspected my friendship motives from the getgo.
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 11:21:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Anyway, is she hot?
View Quote

LMFAO.  It is funny how that is often the first question.
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 11:21:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 11:22:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 1:36:08 AM EDT
[#18]
It's the old girlfriend from Canada gag... [:D]

P.s. Sorry bro! With the previous as a prelude, it was bound to happen [whacko]
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 3:23:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
NO PISTOLS!  I let a girl from New Delhi, India talk me into letting her shoot my 44 Magnum in 1970.  After carefully demonstrating (1 shot) and explaining what to do, she took the SA revolver and held on tight UNTIL IT WENT OFF!

Landed 15 feet behind her after leaving an inch long scrape right up the middle of her forehead.  Hard to explain to a non-English speaking Hindu mother who suspected my friendship motives from the getgo.
View Quote

so did you nail her?
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 7:04:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for the suggestions. I hadn't thought of some of the things.

BTW, Yes she is hot, but she has a boyfriend [:(]

It will still be fun though! [:)]

Link Posted: 9/20/2002 8:08:02 PM EDT
[#21]
If she has a boyfriend, why did she bid on ya? [>:/]
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 4:46:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Duh, because she is a closet slut of course silly!
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 9:43:37 AM EDT
[#23]
I will second (or third) the whole thing about NO tech or engineering speeches. My wife's eyes glaze over when I try and tell her HOW a new on works, but she enjoys seeing the targets splat when she hits them. Definately take an assortment-you may find her actually becoming bored with the lack of report and recoil of a .22 after a bit.

Nick
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 10:54:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Thanks for the suggestions. I hadn't thought of some of the things.

BTW, Yes she is hot, but she has a boyfriend [:(]

It will still be fun though! [:)]

View Quote

Bring the boyfriend along to hold targets. [BD]
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 11:00:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Teach or tell her that shooting, and enjoying firearms is not wrong or inherently evil and owning a gun in America is the right of every American, including her.
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 7:57:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Duh, because she is a closet slut of course silly!
View Quote

Or maybe, just maybe, she wanted to try something new.  Guys! (exasperated voice)

Liberty:

So, how did it go?  Should we send her an application for SAS?

Link Posted: 9/24/2002 8:17:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Forget that .22 stuff.. start her off on the AR [8D]

I learned to shoot on my friends bushmaster carbine.  Me, my brother, and another friend who has never shot before all went to the range.

After a 30 minute or so safety lesson and Q&A at his apartment we headed to the range and started shooting up all kinds of things with his AR.  Then we shot his Sig P220 .45 and then his Remington  700 .308.

We were all hooked after that day.  This was in February and now 2 of the 3 new shooters that  day have AR-15's [8D]

Starting out with reactive targets has spoiled me though... shooting at paper targets just bores me to death... but I can make a day out of blowing away old printers/keyboards/monitors/etc.
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 8:38:55 AM EDT
[#28]
I'll second the "don't bore the crap out of her" suggestions. She want's to SHOOT, not listen to you gab all day:-). Sure, DEF. go over the safty stuff. I'd bring a variety of guns, but not to many as she may freak out. Use paper AND reactionary targets.

I've also found MOST girls enjoy shooting a handgun more, so if you have a good, safe handgun, like a nice 1911, Sig p220, or HK USP .45, take that out:-). Whatever you do, don't take a 9mm, or she'll think you are to inept to handle a real gun:-D. He He He. . . .

No really, they do seem to like handguns from my experiance. Also, .22 is good to have so you don't scare them, but as others have said, she may want to shoot a "real gun" after you've broken her in on the .22, so take an AR or something FOR SURE. Go over safty and the operation of EACH gun, every time she switches to a new one.

Learning safty IS learning to shoot. Having fun is what keeps them shooting. You can explain how they work later if she wants to know.

Don't forget to take Eye's and Ear's for both of you!

JMO,
Justin
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 10:27:41 AM EDT
[#29]
I can tell you what not to do. Don't hand her a 12 gauge shotgun with instructions to grip the gun tightly and shoot from the hip to see what the recoil is like before having her shoot from the shoulder. I did this with my wife once and after she fired off the round I noticed a small trickle of blood hitting the ground. You guessed it. She didn't grip the gun tightly and the trigger and trigger guard slammed back into her fingers. That was the first and last time she ever fired the shotgun.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 11:00:07 AM EDT
[#30]
KEEP YOUR DICK IN YOUR PAMTS, hehehe

You have a REPSONISBILITY to win that girl over to the point that she has all her freinds wanting to shoot with ya.  Don't bring up the politics, just fun.  

Take one for the team and invite her boyfreind to keep yourself honest. That may be 2 people that will have the influence on others you may teach also.

Almost everytime I go to the range with someone new (girl guy, kid, even my dad who never had interest)  they all liked any pistol, a ruger 10/22 AND am M1 CARBINE. My wife LOVES the M1 carbine, I guess a big noise with little recoil???size????  I don't have an AR, but no shotguns or SKS's or AK's wouldn't go bigger than 223 the first time out by any means.

I woudl'd take any guns that malfunction alot either.  take your good quality magazines to minimize bad feeding, etc.  

Reactive targets good.  

IF you usually save brass don't.  I've gotten funny looks from newbies for this before.

KEEP IT FUN! but of course SAFETY IS PARAMOUNT

main lesson:  Gun people are not a bunch of crazy ass nuts.  Most folks are surprised at how stictly gun folks adhere to safety
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 11:26:50 AM EDT
[#31]
I've taken several new shooters over the past couple of years.  Here's what I've found works the best.  

1.  Don't bother yakking about RKBA, politics, and other crap UNLESS they ask you about it.  Otherwise they'll write you off as a loony gun nut.  

2.  22's are their friend.  A great way to teach basic shooting and have them enjoy getting hits.  Pistol & rifles, btw.  Once they've gotten the hang of shooting a 22, they can move on to other guns.  

3.  Get Shoot-N-See's for paper targets. An easy way for them to get instant feedback (well, when they can see it).  

4.  Teach Safety first.  Then teach shooting.  You'll be glad you did.  My local range has a nice safety lecture they go through before you can shoot (for the 1st time).

5.  Teach them basic stuff for shooting.  Grip, stance (if they are standing), cheek weld for rifles, trigger control, sight picture and sight alignment.  Have them dry fire a couple of times before actually shooting live rounds.  Tell them exactly what to expect when they pull the trigger.  

6.  If someone's nervous about doing anything, take the gun away and have them relax for a minute.  Have them dry fire a couple of times more.  Ask them what they are afraid of, demonstrate a couple of times, etc.  Sometimes the noise is bothersome.  Maybe from a neighboor's 44mag, for example.  Wait to have them shoot till it's a bit quieter, or talk to the guy with the 44 and have him hold off for a few minutes.  

7.  Most of all, make sure they have fun.  If you're going out somewhere hot, bring water/sodas.   Snacks if you are going to be out for a few hours, etc.   I take pictures with new shooters.  

8.  Follow up a couple of days later and make sure they had a good time, see if they have anymore questions, etc.  Send them their pics (or links to their pics if they are online).  

If they had a good time, they will want to go again.  No problem, they'll have more questions and be more likely to buy a gun if so.  But, after the 3rd time I start bugging them about getting their own guns, though.  [:)]

Lastly, for the morons out there, DON'T hit on her, etc., while you're trying to do this.  After you're away from the range and the guns are put away, then you can try, if you have too.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 7:24:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Thanks for the suggestions. Very valuable.

I don't have a handgun(yet... [;)]), so that is out.

The date set to take her(and her boyfriend) is Sat. October 5. I post what happens then, and pictures when I get them developed.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 3:08:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Today is the day we went out to the range. Her, her boyfriend, and a friend who is in the Young Marines. They all had a great day. They did pretty good as far as hitting the targets.
I started them off with my .22 bolt at 25 yards, then we moved up to the 50 yard ranges. After they were comfortable with that, I let them use my AR. The girl said she was only going to shoot 1 or 2 rounds with it, but she ended up shooting about 50 rounds. [:D]
I used Shoot-N-See targets to make it easier see when they shot it. They all did pretty well.

It was a good day.

---
On another note:

A guy that was there had a 98 broomhandle that he let me shoot. It was pretty sweet.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 3:17:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Here's the story: Our student government here  held a "Tuck-in" auction today. Basically what happens is a person will get up and propose to do some(like taking the winner out to dinner for free, doing the winner's laundry , etc.) and people will bid money to be the person to get the "prize."

.......Well, a freshman girl ended up winning(for $23 for those who care).

View Quote

So basically you were part of a male "date" auction and the winning bid was only $23?

[size=4][b][red]AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHA!![/b][/red][/size=4]

Sorry man....I couldn't help it. [;D]

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 3:33:38 PM EDT
[#35]
I prolly shouldn't tellthis tale here, but WTF.

One of the guys out here tells about teaching some gal to shoot. He took her out a couple of times and I guess she got pretty good with a .38, so good that she bought herself a cheap .38, put it in the drawer and forgot about it.They didn't date for too long, though.

Less than a year later some * broke in to her place and found homself gutshot for his troubles.

Needless to say, she went through considerable effort to look him up and thank him in person. She traveled over 400 miles to meet him at the dock when the vessel he was working on came in.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 5:25:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Less than a year later some * broke in to her place and found homself gutshot for his troubles.

Needless to say, she went through considerable effort to look him up and thank him in person. She traveled over 400 miles to meet him at the dock when the vessel he was working on came in.
View Quote

That is a good story and one that happens quite often, I hope.

The woman in the story is a class act to take the time to visit the one who first introduced her to firearms and could be credited with saving her life.

Link Posted: 10/21/2002 8:20:55 AM EDT
[#37]
Good to hear it was a good time!!!

Hope she goes and tells all her freinds of her EVIL experience with you, and asks to bring along several freinds to join our diabolical cult[:D]...

Congrats guy,well done, glad you got an extra guy or two in there also!!!

Link Posted: 10/21/2002 8:27:00 AM EDT
[#38]
[red][size=5]tell us about her HOOTIES![/red][/size=5]
Link Posted: 10/21/2002 3:48:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Good idea to have the BF come along. If she's hot, sabatoge their relationship by putting an earring or somthing where she'll find it!!!Then you can move in for the kill at the next opportunity!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top