Posted: 9/28/2005 1:14:00 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:25:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Weren't harsh words banned already?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:28:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:28:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't see anything wrong with this.  Our public school (elementary and middle school) in town does the same thing.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:29:50 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I don't see anything wrong with this.  Our public school (elementary and middle school) in town does the same thing.  

Ever see the movie "Demolition Man"?  That's where it's headed. Soon it will be "Anything not good for you is bad for you, therefore, illegal."
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:30:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:45:27 AM EDT
[#6]
A scary thought.  The Govt knows whats best for you.

Max
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:50:45 AM EDT
[#7]
We didn't have soda machines or junk food for sale when I was in school and very few kids were overweight.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:44:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Tennessee has done this in elementary and
middle schools. No more bangers, or meat slurry.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:47:27 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Me neither but i do believe that once you ban one thing, you will ban everyhting.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:17:42 AM EDT
[#10]
The school system will have to raise taxes now since they will not be getting the revenue that the junk food vendors give them to keep their vending machines in the schools.

Overall, I think this is just another way of proposing that since sheeple have no self control, we need to remove anything that may harm them.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:44:36 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me neither but i do believe that once you ban one thing, you will ban everyhting.

Smokers were right all along....
I remember having this convo about a year ago when everyone up here did the happy "no smoking anywhere" dance. I laughed and warned it was only the beginning...alcohol, fatty foods, gampbling, etc...would all follow suit.

Heh. Vegas is shakin' in their boots!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:00:14 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Weren't harsh words banned already?

No they are not. A student is allowed to tell his teacher to fuck off 5 times per day. They keep a record of the occurances. After the 5th time, the student is then in trouble.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:05:34 AM EDT
[#13]
I don't see this as a tinfoil hat topic, I guess.  I don't see any reason schools should make money off selling kids unhealthy foods.  They can still get that from their parents, or bring it to schools on their own. That doesn't mean the school should promote it.

My wife is a teacher.  There's a visible change in kids' behavior, from normal & teachable to behavior problems after loading up on 4 cans of Mountain Dew and 3 candy bars for lunch.

You're paying for the schools.  What do you want the students to be doing?  Learning something, staying healthy?  Or getting obese early (and staying that way for life, studies show, thereby costing YOU money in Medicare/Medicaid and health insurance) and staying stupid?

This is a no-brainer.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:13:40 AM EDT
[#14]
I think this is a good example of alarmism on the conservative side. The article could have been easily titled "England decides to remove soda and candy machines from public schools" and everyone would say 'oh okay that's a good idea I guess'. But "ENGLAND BANS JUNK FOOD AND DECLARES HITLER PRIME MINISTER OH NOES" is much more of an attention getter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top