User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/16/2015 9:59:10 PM EDT
Did I miss a thread on this?
http://www.space.com/28284-planet-x-worlds-beyond-pluto.html

"Planet X" might actually exist — and so might "Planet Y."

At least two planets larger than Earth likely lurk in the dark depths of space far beyond Pluto, just waiting to be discovered, a new analysis of the orbits of "extreme trans-Neptunian objects" (ETNOs) suggests.

Researchers studied 13 ETNOs — frigid bodies such as the dwarf planet Sedna that cruise around the sun at great distances in elliptical paths. [Meet Our Solar System's Dwarf Planets]

Theory predicts a certain set of details for ETNO orbits, study team members said. For example, they should have a semi-major axis, or average distance from the sun, of about 150 astronomical units (AU). (1 AU is the distance from Earth to the sun — roughly 93 million miles, or 150 million kilometers.) These orbits should also have an inclination, relative to the plane of the solar system, of almost 0 degrees, among other characteristics.

But the actual orbits of the 13 ETNOs are quite different, with semi-major axes ranging from 150 to 525 AU and average inclinations of about 20 degrees.

"This excess of objects with unexpected orbital parameters makes us believe that some invisible forces are altering the distribution of the orbital elements of the ETNOs, and we consider that the most probable explanation is that other unknown planets exist beyond Neptune and Pluto," lead author Carlos de la Fuente Marcos, of the Complutense University of Madrid, said in a statement.

"The exact number is uncertain, given that the data that we have is limited, but our calculations suggest that there are at least two planets, and probably more, within the confines of our solar system," he added.

The potential undiscovered worlds would be more massive than Earth, researchers said, and would lie about 200 AU or more from the sun — so far away that they'd be very difficult, if not impossible, to spot with current instruments.

Trujillo and Sheppard suggested that the orbits of 2012 VP113 and Sedna are consistent with the continued presence of a big "perturber" — perhaps a planet 10 times more massive than Earth that lies 250 AU from the sun.

"If it is confirmed, our results may be truly revolutionary for astronomy," de la Fuente Marcos said.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:00:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Getting nothin but static on Planet Z
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:00:36 PM EDT
[#2]
There's only 9, counting Pluto.  The end.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:01:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh, oh!  Here comes Neburu, the home of the Anonaki race.  According to the Mayan calendar, they are over due.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:02:06 PM EDT
[#4]
IBU

In Before Uranus.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:03:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Oh, oh!  Here comes Neburu, the home of the Anonaki race.  According to the Mayan calendar, they are over due.
View Quote
Screw that, just make sure no one breaks the Seal of Repulsion.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:04:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
IBU

In Before Uranus.

View Quote

That's what she said.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:05:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Something, something uranus.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:07:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's cool.  I want to be the first guy to bang an alien chick.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:07:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Well fuck. If we can't even figure out our own solar system what confidence do I have in anything else.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:09:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Wouldn't it technically be planet IX and X, since pluto got demoted?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:11:10 PM EDT
[#11]
How are we finding earth like planets in other solar systems....yet we don't know if there are hidden planets in our own?

Explain please.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:11:42 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

How are we finding earth like planets in other solar systems....yet we don't know if there are hidden planets in our own?

Explain please.
View Quote

Vastly different methods of searching.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:12:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Explain please.
View Quote

We see those other planets passing in front of their stars.  Kind of hard to do that with our own solar system.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:13:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What, you've never smashed a chick with a visa/green card?

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:14:06 PM EDT
[#15]
That's no moon.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:14:42 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote
I, for one, can't wait to enjoy the Ixian technology.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:14:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Yadda, yadda, yadda...Uranus
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:15:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Explain please.
View Quote

We find planets that are very close to their star by observing the tiny variations they cause in the light shining from that star.  Finding something that far away from a star is very, very difficult due to the lack of light reflecting on the object.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:15:52 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The spice must flow.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:16:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Final Fantasy ETNO
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:16:21 PM EDT
[#21]
I was under the understanding that the odd orbits of Neptune and Uranus were already explained by the cross-orbital theory - dependent on a peculiar alignment of the planets and concerning their, thereby, peculiar gravitational pull on each-other - which cast them into their current, rather bizarre orbits.

Of course, I'm explaining it horribly - but, I'll blame the Makers 46 for that!
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:19:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh um.  It's all fun and game to you now.  Just wait until Neburu comes draggin' all that space junk behind him, showering earth with rains of space irons and rocks.  Do you even Coast to Coast, son?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:19:51 PM EDT
[#23]
My healing crystal vendor knew all about Nibiru way before the scientists did.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:21:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

We find planets that are very close to their star by observing the tiny variations they cause in the light shining from that star.  Finding something that far away from a star is very, very difficult due to the lack of light reflecting on the object.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Explain please.

What if these Spaniards in the article were to land a probe on Uranus?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:22:01 PM EDT
[#25]

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:22:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My healing crystal vendor knew all about Nibiru way before the scientists did.
View Quote

Shit!  You even spelled it right.  George Noori would be so proud!  
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:23:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Explain please.

Also something about the way the stars "wobble" due to gravitational interactions between the stars and the planets.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:27:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:29:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Can't count Pluto if you don't count Eris.

Instead of subtracting planets from the list, we should keep adding. It makes science more interesting to kids.

Mercury
Venus
Earth
Mars
Ceres
Jupiter
Saturn
Uranus
Neptune
Pluto
Haumea
Makemake
Eris
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:29:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Getting nothin but static on Planet Z
View Quote

L O L!
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:30:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:30:46 PM EDT
[#32]
And...."That's no moon."
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:31:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
If true, why wouldn't we have seen their gravitational effects on various objects that have passed through our solar system?

I guess it is possible that their orbits are so large that it could take centuries to rotate the sun, but at some point the sun would lose them and they just fly out into space??

I'm in no position to argue this, but I would have thought we would have seen their effects by now even if they weren't easily visible.

Interesting stuff.
View Quote

They compared it to Sedna, which has an insanely far orbit.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:31:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Keep in mind that most stars are binary this could indicate a brown dwarf that we just have not noticed yet because we have not looked for it.  They don't emit in the visible spectrum much or at all though they do show up in IR and do perturb orbits of the other bodies in the system.  If they are so far out they may not affect the orbits of the closer in objects in any initially noticeable way but after studying the orbits of those bodies for a long time we can detect the slight wobbles and variances.  

I say do more research and don't rule it out or confirm it until the evidence is in and it passes a peer review.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:32:44 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote
Pluto got voted back in.

Getting ready to find out a lot more about Pluto in the next year - New Horizons arrives.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:35:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Neva been dun befo
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:36:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:36:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

http://www.newscientist.com/data/images/ns/cms/dn6295/dn6295-1_834.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If true, why wouldn't we have seen their gravitational effects on various objects that have passed through our solar system?

I guess it is possible that their orbits are so large that it could take centuries to rotate the sun, but at some point the sun would lose them and they just fly out into space??

I'm in no position to argue this, but I would have thought we would have seen their effects by now even if they weren't easily visible.

Interesting stuff.

http://www.newscientist.com/data/images/ns/cms/dn6295/dn6295-1_834.jpg

Holy crap.  Voyager 1 is only 130 AUs from the sun.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:36:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Explain please.
View Quote

Beer goggles
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:37:06 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Keep in mind that most stars are binary this could indicate a brown dwarf that we just have not noticed yet because we have not looked for it.  They don't emit in the visible spectrum much or at all though they do show up in IR and do perturb orbits of the other bodies in the system.  If they are so far out they may not affect the orbits of the closer in objects in any initially noticeable way but after studying the orbits of those bodies for a long time we can detect the slight wobbles and variances.  

I say do more research and don't rule it out or confirm it until the evidence is in and it passes a peer review.
View Quote
I find it difficult to believe we'd miss something that IR active nearby.  In that band it would be like not noticing the tactical nuke going off across town.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:37:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Explain please.

Also something about the way the stars "wobble" due to gravitational interactions between the stars and the planets.

http://www.planetary.org/explore/space-topics/exoplanets/how-to-search-for-exoplanets.html

THANKS!  Who says that GD is completely useless?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:39:50 PM EDT
[#42]
I say we leave Planet X alone:

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:40:19 PM EDT
[#43]

Chaos

there's space pirates there
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:41:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I find it difficult to believe we'd miss something that IR active nearby.  In that band it would be like not noticing the tactical nuke going off across town.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to mention that such a large source of gravity would cause our solar system to have eccentricities which could not be explained by our current single star model.

If I remember correctly, we found Neptune by first observing the orbit of Uranus and working out the type of gravitational interference that would be required to cause that orbit and then predicting where that source of gravity would be in the solar system.  And this was in the mid-1800s.  Another star would have already been spotted using such methods.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:45:26 PM EDT
[#45]
MULTI-PASS!!!!

nah, doesn't matter right?  there's a three planet sweet spot in this solarsystem for life right?   right?

ballbearings these days.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:47:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Instead of subtracting planets from the list, we should keep adding. It makes science more interesting to kids.

Mercury
Venus
Earth
Mars
Ceres
Jupiter
Saturn
Uranus
Neptune
Pluto
Haumea
Makemake
Eris
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mercury
Venus
Earth
Mars
Ceres
Jupiter
Saturn
Uranus
Neptune
Pluto
Haumea
Makemake
Eris

YOU SIR!!!! get the post of the thread award.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:56:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Did I miss a thread on this?
http://www.space.com/28284-planet-x-worlds-beyond-pluto.html

"Planet X" might actually exist — and so might "Planet Y."

At least two planets larger than Earth likely lurk in the dark depths of space far beyond Pluto, just waiting to be discovered, a new analysis of the orbits of "extreme trans-Neptunian objects" (ETNOs) suggests.

Researchers studied 13 ETNOs — frigid bodies such as the dwarf planet Sedna that cruise around the sun at great distances in elliptical paths. [Meet Our Solar System's Dwarf Planets]

Theory predicts a certain set of details for ETNO orbits, study team members said. For example, they should have a semi-major axis, or average distance from the sun, of about 150 astronomical units (AU). (1 AU is the distance from Earth to the sun — roughly 93 million miles, or 150 million kilometers.) These orbits should also have an inclination, relative to the plane of the solar system, of almost 0 degrees, among other characteristics.

But the actual orbits of the 13 ETNOs are quite different, with semi-major axes ranging from 150 to 525 AU and average inclinations of about 20 degrees.

"This excess of objects with unexpected orbital parameters makes us believe that some invisible forces are altering the distribution of the orbital elements of the ETNOs, and we consider that the most probable explanation is that other unknown planets exist beyond Neptune and Pluto," lead author Carlos de la Fuente Marcos, of the Complutense University of Madrid, said in a statement.

"The exact number is uncertain, given that the data that we have is limited, but our calculations suggest that there are at least two planets, and probably more, within the confines of our solar system," he added.

The potential undiscovered worlds would be more massive than Earth, researchers said, and would lie about 200 AU or more from the sun — so far away that they'd be very difficult, if not impossible, to spot with current instruments.

Trujillo and Sheppard suggested that the orbits of 2012 VP113 and Sedna are consistent with the continued presence of a big "perturber" — perhaps a planet 10 times more massive than Earth that lies 250 AU from the sun.

"If it is confirmed, our results may be truly revolutionary for astronomy," de la Fuente Marcos said.

View Quote

I was just thinking this same thing about 2 weeks ago.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:58:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Prepare your anus.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:08:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What you don't know is alien chick bangs YOU!
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:11:15 PM EDT
[#50]
There was an article on Universe Today on the twelfth that claimed that all of the bright objects in the Kuiper belt had most likely already been found.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top