Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2015 6:59:23 PM EDT
11 month old boys. One is a bit larger, more pshycal and has a temperament. The other is smaller, gentel and timid.

The problem started about 3 months ago. The bigger of my sons started biting myself and mom. It was never hard but it wasn't pleasant. We chalked it up to teething.

Fast forward to present and now he's biting his brother, myself and his mom. Hard enough to draw blood and bruises. I can't really tell what he's doing it for. It seems like a attention thing.

(The following some may disagree) I was brought up with pain as punishment. So I tried biting him back, swats on his butt, time outs etc. These are my 1st kids and I've been trying to research best I can and realizing I'm not doing it right.

I don't want to scar them for life. But my littler boy looks like a leopard, myself and wife have bruises too.

I'm trying to pinch his lips every time and console the victim.

I'm at a loss. Any one have some experience here? I feel like a bad father.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:00:05 PM EDT
[#1]
cover the other one with hot sauce....
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:00:48 PM EDT
[#2]
In light of a real response....

Have you tried feeding the kid ?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:01:05 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

cover the other one with hot sauce....
View Quote
Habanero sauce or ghost pepper.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:02:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:02:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Try teaching the "baby sign language".  Biting may be frustration for lack of being able to express himself verbally.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:04:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes. The biter is my little bottomless pit garbage can. They both eat often. But this occurs before and after feeds. They are on solids, exploring foods from dinner table and moving away from blended and soft foods.

I don't feel like this is the issue but willing to try feeding him after a biting. But wouldn't that be like reinforcing a bad action?

/sarcasm :)
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:04:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I hate to say it OP but I think you have found the evil one
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:04:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Thunderdome. Two twins enter, one twin leaves.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:05:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

We joke about that
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:06:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yes. The biter is my little bottomless pit garbage can. They both eat often. But this occurs before and after feeds. They are on solids, exploring foods from dinner table and moving away from blended and soft foods.

I don't feel like this is the issue but willing to try feeding him after a biting. But wouldn't that be like reinforcing a bad action?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe stop feeding him for a while.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:08:06 PM EDT
[#11]
shock collar.  bite=pain.

works on kids just like it does on dogs.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:08:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Separate the boys, keep them separate, and don't let him bite you.  I don't know what else you could do with an 11 month old baby.

View Quote

Yup

My 4 year old gets jealous of his 1yr old sister and acts out just for attention.  When hes away from her hes an angel.  

It will get better, eventually.  Just wait till they are both 3.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:10:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Baby football helmet. Feed him through the mask. He tries to bite, pop the helmet
with a spoon. Soft spot wont be harmed.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:12:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Coat the smaller one in that no thumb suck stuff. It's tastes nasty.  

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:14:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Twins are funny animals I am one.  We do odd things but that is pretty  young.

I think the biting back would do it.

We were identical.   I knew one set of twins who would be in their 80s now.  Non identical  the strong healthy one never liked his brother.

The doctor asked the mother if she wanted the weak one put down. She said no even though he was born with a broken leg.

The weak one did die first at the age of 76. Before he died he was a scout sniper with the USMC in Korea and was what I would call a rifleman.

His big brother never even recognized  his twin as a brother.

I would talk to some one who knows twins. Older kids I would just punish but this one is too young.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:16:03 PM EDT
[#16]
lol, one of my twin girls is/was a biter.  We give her the frozen teething rings whenever she goes to bite, and she has only bit her sister a handful of times.  It's probably been a couple weeks to a month since she last bit one of us (16 months right now, starting biting at around 10 months).  I don't think it's exactly a "behavioral" problem, just part of discovering that they have teeth.  Eventually, your kid will stop.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:17:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Try teaching the "baby sign language".  Biting may be frustration for lack of being able to express himself verbally.

View Quote

This. I don't know about the baby sign language, but determined the frustration from being unable to communicate as the root cause, this was with my son, an only child, biting his mother and I, and himself. My boss had twin sons who are grown adults that I work with now. When they were toddlers, one of them was a biter, bruising and drawing blood. My son and bosses sons both grew out of it as soon as they could get across to you what they wanted. Also. Of my bosses sons, the biter ended up being the dominate, more assertive throughout childhood and I would say even to this day. Though I enjoy working with them both.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:19:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Bite him back. We've had several biters and when they'd bite us, we'd take their hand or arm and give them a bite back... Just hard enough to get a decent indentation in the skin, but that's all. Most of the time they wouldn't even cry, but would just open their mouth and look at us with this "what did you just do to me?!" look. After a couple days they learned to not bite because of the pain they received from it. It saved us and their siblings a lot of teeth-mark scars. A couple of our kids would bite hard enough to draw blood with those little razors they had, so it was imperative to stop them of it asap.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:19:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Negative reinforcement
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:21:29 PM EDT
[#20]
swat his bare ass every single time he bites and for Christ's sakes keep it to yourself!

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:21:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

There's always an Evil Twin, but maybe the truly Evil Twin is biting himself, and blaming it on the other.  

In all seriousness, OP, you've got to protect the littler one.    Can you imagine how terrifying it would be to have a Cannibal Brother?  

Can you imagine what that's doing to him psychologically?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:22:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Rub the one down being bit with hot pepper or bitter apple
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:23:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Niles and Holland?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:25:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Separate the boys, keep them separate, and don't let him bite you.  I don't know what else you could do with an 11 month old baby.

View Quote

Yeah this. I mean 11 mo - that isn't even a year. I don't even think there is a way to for them to understand WTF you are doing. I wouldn't use physical pain. I mean 11mo is pretty young. I am not against spankings per se, but if they aren't even walking or talking yet, I don't think the have the capacity to understand why you are hurting them.

Also this another example about nature vs nurture. They are twins and they already have different personalities. It is pretty amazing how some of this stuff gets hardwired early on.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:26:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Bite the kid back.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:26:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top