Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2010 5:59:47 PM EDT
Is it possible to put a turbo charger on a 85 GMC with a V8 Gas under the hood? Sorry for the newbish question.

Thanks

Scott
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:30:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Sure, it is possible.
How well it would function and how much you'd draw out of that motor in its stock form is a different question though.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:33:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Sure, it is possible.
How well it would function and how much you'd draw out of that motor in its stock form is a different question though.

Whats your thoughts on that? Or would I be better off finding a Cummins or a Duramax for it?

Scott

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:36:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sure, it is possible.

Whats your thoughts on that? Or would I be better off finding a Cummins or a Duramax for it?

Scott

There's probably some guys that can help you out a lot better than I can on here, regarding force induction from scratch on a stock V8 motor.
That being said, I'm not sure of the compression you have and the setup you'd be looking at.
What are you looking to get out of this motor by turbocharging it?
Are you looking at performance, power, etc. from a "per dollar" aspect?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:45:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Power is what i'm lacking and needing, performance would be nice to, I feel it needs a lil more giddy up when I'm pulling trailers and in general. I probably dont need it still being in highschool, but its cheaper than a rebuilt Duramax or Cummins. And i dont understand your "per dollar" aspect. Im guessing your saying buying power with add ons.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:51:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Power is what i'm lacking and needing, performance would be nice to, I feel it needs a lil more giddy up when I'm pulling trailers and in general. I probably dont need it still being in highschool, but its cheaper than a rebuilt Duramax or Cummins. And i dont understand your "per dollar" aspect. Im guessing your saying buying power with add ons.

By "per dollar", I mean are you trying to get the most power for you buck...or are you just trying to get the most power regardless of cost?
I'm trying to help you sort out what would be the most cost effective, short-term and long-term, for you and your truck –– if that's what you're looking for as well.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:02:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

By "per dollar", I mean are you trying to get the most power for you buck...or are you just trying to get the most power regardless of cost?
I'm trying to help you sort out what would be the most cost effective, short-term and long-term, for you and your truck –– if that's what you're looking for as well.

My apologies. long day, and most power for my buck would be nice. If i gotta drop some cash i will, but if i can do it for a lower cost that will work just as good i will.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:09:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Not cost effective.  At the minimum, you need:

- turbo(s)
- header/exhaust fabrication
- drill and tap the block for turbo oil feed and return lines
- replace stock cast pistons with forged pistons (if you want to run more than 5psi without cracking pistons)
- high flow/pressure fuel pump
- larger fuel injectors
- computer that can accept a custom tune
- access to a dyno to tune the computer

A better option would be to buy a crate engine or build up a motor to your liking.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:12:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

- turbo(s)
- replace stock cast pistons with forged pistons (if you want to run more than 5psi without cracking pistons)
- larger fuel injectors

A better option would be to buy a crate engine or build up a motor to your liking.

*whistles* So your saying get a rebuilt Duramax or Cummins that has a turbo and drop it in?

Scott

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:17:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

- turbo(s)
- larger fuel injectors

*whistles* So your saying get a rebuilt Duramax or Cummins that has a turbo and drop it in?

Scott

Gasser.  You don't want to try a diesel swap unless you have a complete donor truck of the same model/vintage.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:21:03 PM EDT
[#10]
If you want to tow big, id get a 3/4 ton to 1 ton truck.

Ford F250+

Dodge Ram 2500+

etc etc.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:21:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't mean to be rude when I say that if you don't know that turbocharger is one word, this project won't end well.

If someone makes a kit to drop in a diesel motor of any kind you will be better off than with a turbo gas motor IMO. The fuel injection setup alone will be a large expense unless you are very skilled at tuning.

To be honest, you can probably buy a turbo diesel truck for less than what this project will cost you. A friend of mine just picked up a F450 diesel with a 12' dump on it for $3,750. The hydraulics on the bed need gone through, but the motor has 140K on the 7.3 turbo diesel motor in it. It has a 5 speed and pulls whatever he needs. It came with a huge file of receipts and was thoroughly checked out by a good diesel repair shop. The guy told him that he will never get a better deal on a vehicle.

ETA: The other guys are right that if you just drop a diesel into a half ton truck the truck won't be able to handle it.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:42:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I don't mean to be rude when I say that if you don't know that turbocharger is one word, this project won't end well.

If someone makes a kit to drop in a diesel motor of any kind you will be better off than with a turbo gas motor IMO. The fuel injection setup alone will be a large expense unless you are very skilled at tuning.

To be honest, you can probably buy a turbo diesel truck for less than what this project will cost you. A friend of mine just picked up a F450 diesel with a 12' dump on it for $3,750. The hydraulics on the bed need gone through, but the motor has 140K on the 7.3 turbo diesel motor in it. It has a 5 speed and pulls whatever he needs. It came with a huge file of receipts and was thoroughly checked out by a good diesel repair shop. The guy told him that he will never get a better deal on a vehicle.

ETA: The other guys are right that if you just drop a diesel into a half ton truck the truck won't be able to handle it.

Good point there, it wouldnt have ended well. O hell. Everyone done poked holes in my ideas, which is a good thing, since they know more than me. Now i will be looking for a new truck.

Scott
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:43:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- turbo(s)
- larger fuel injectors

Scott

Gasser.  You don't want to try a diesel swap unless you have a complete donor truck of the same model/vintage.

Little explanation would be nice here.

Thanks Scott

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:51:12 PM EDT
[#14]
i didnt see anything posted about what you are towing.  how heavy & how far?
what kind of 85 GMC ?

on top of what is posted above, you may need to upgrade your transmission too.

buying a used diesel truck would probably be a better bang for the buck, but that all depends on your intended use.
as well as what you need versus want in towing
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:21:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Before spending money engine performance/swap stuff have you checked your ring/pinion gear vs tire diameter to see if a r&p change might be what you need?

Brian
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:34:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- turbo(s)
- larger fuel injectors

Scott

Little explanation would be nice here.

Thanks Scott

Lots of parts are different beyond the motor.  You need the diesel's fuel tank, transfer pump, water separator, etc.  You also can't use the gas truck's vacuum brake booster (diesels don't have throttles and don't create enough vacuum).  Plus all the wiring harnesses for the motor and diesel specific transmission.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:39:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Whats in it right now?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:51:12 PM EDT
[#18]
There's a reason you don't see any gasoline trucks with turbos pulling trailers.  Turbos generate TONS of heat, which means high intake temps and detonation.  They're good for a short burst of power every now and then, but if you're looking to hook up a trailer and pull it with a turbocharged gasoline engine, you'll cook the motor on the first steep grade.

Turbo diesels on the other hand are made for just that.  Diesels are incredibly efficient with heat and intake temps, and can put down the torque required to pull a trailer all day long.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:32:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:40:53 AM EDT
[#20]
I have a turbo in good shape from a 14L Caterpillar Diesel sitting on my desk as decoration right now

we can hook it up and see what happens
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:47:08 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I have a turbo in good shape from a 14L Caterpillar Diesel sitting on my desk as decoration right now

not a whole lot. the volume of exhaust gas out of even a 454 would not be enough to turn the impeller on a turbo that big fast enough to make any gains.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:50:46 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Quoted:

not a whole lot. the volume of exhaust gas out of even a 454 would not be enough to turn the impeller on a turbo that big fast enough to make any gains.  
I know, i was being facetious...

Friend worked at Borg Warner for a while and we've got boxes of rejected turbine/compressor wheels, and a few turbos from KP-35's up to the 140 on my desk...

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:59:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sure, it is possible.

Scott

Might have missed it but what it the main use of the truck? u r talking about turbo charging a gas v8 and then ask if it would be better to get a diesel? I'm thinking that you ar gonna be using for heavy towing/hauling?

I would think that if that were the case then buying a diesel vs building a gas tow rig would be the better route.

J-

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:22:37 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

There's a reason you don't see any gasoline trucks with turbos pulling trailers.  Turbos generate TONS of heat, which means high intake temps and detonation.  They're good for a short burst of power every now and then, but if you're looking to hook up a trailer and pull it with a turbocharged gasoline engine, you'll cook the motor on the first steep grade.

Turbo diesels on the other hand are made for just that.  Diesels are incredibly efficient with heat and intake temps, and can put down the torque required to pull a trailer all day long.

I know guys who trailer cars with 2.5L turbo minivans. In hilly areas they are in boost for 10-15 minutes at a time. You can tow with a turbo gas motor...

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:25:23 PM EDT
[#25]
pretty hard to match a diesel in power/reliability.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:03:54 PM EDT
[#26]
85 should be carbed with a ECM IIRC....  Ditch the ECM and go with a 6-71 blower (roots style).....
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:37:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
85 should be carbed with a ECM IIRC....  Ditch the ECM and go with a 6-71 blower (roots style).....

But be ready for tranny work.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:25:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Whats in it right now?

5.0 305 small block.

Scott
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:30:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sure, it is possible.

Scott

Might have missed it but what it the main use of the truck? u r talking about turbo charging a gas v8 and then ask if it would be better to get a diesel? I'm thinking that you ar gonna be using for heavy towing/hauling?

I would think that if that were the case then buying a diesel vs building a gas tow rig would be the better route.

J-

General use, farm use, towing, back and forth to school, hauling girls around. I would love to go out and buy a powerstroke or a cummins (the only used trucks for sale around here) but i have no money.

Scott
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:07:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whats in it right now?

5.0 305 small block.

Scott

Swap in a small block 383 - 350 block/400 crank - and make sure the truck is geared properly for the tire size.

Brian
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:24:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Put a cam in and clean up the heads a little. Maybe bolt on some headers. A blower would be SOOOOO much easier to put  on a carb engine but turbo can be done. You would need a blowthru carb or find an old TPI setup. I was going to do a turbo TPI setup for an old camaro i had before i sold it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:29:06 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now if you had another hairdryer to feed it air...

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:46:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Put a cam in and clean up the heads a little. Maybe bolt on some headers. A blower would be SOOOOO much easier to put  on a carb engine but turbo can be done. You would need a blowthru carb or find an old TPI setup. I was going to do a turbo TPI setup for an old camaro i had before i sold it.

Educate me on a blower please?

Scottq
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 2:58:04 PM EDT
[#34]
I think imma just save up for a cummins.

Scott
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:05:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Before spending money engine performance/swap stuff have you checked your ring/pinion gear vs tire diameter to see if a r&p change might be what you need?

Brian

bolded, quoted underlined and reded for emphasis

Bang for your buck NOTHING will beat a gear swap

this thread is OVER
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:29:02 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Educate me on a blower please?
Scottq

Just slap a 383 stroker and the right gears.. Best bang for the buck.

Thats what we got in here

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:08:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I think imma just save up for a cummins.

If you actually do any amount of substantial hauling and/or towing, you'll be much happier than with any gasser.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top