Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2011 5:31:13 AM EDT
Got a new 2011 Tundra CrewMax with Rock Warrior package.  Same as the Taco guy, looking to use it as a DD/BOV.  Any mods or things to know?  This is my first truck.  

BTW, bedliner is first.  Since I don't have a payment on the Tundra () I can't afford to do the Line-X thing so a plastic liner is going in it.

Crappy cell pic
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 6:34:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I like my Tundra, however I have the 2007 which had a few flaws they have hopefully worked out in the 2011 model, like the radio reception sucked and the shocks were crap.

One thing I found out was normal was the "thud" you get from the two piece driveshaft sometimes after stopping at the stoplight quickly. Apparently it releases tension sometimes after you have stopped. Service department says this is normal. Takes getting used to.

Another tundra quirk was the smog pumps going out early after getting wet and sucking in water and corroding due to poor placement. Hopefully they fixed that on the 2010 model. It was covered by the 5 year emmisions warranty but still a pain when unexpected, and they didn't go out at the same time. About $2000 of warranty work.  That's when I found out about Tundra "limp mode".  That's the one thing I hate about mine.
If certain trouble lights come on, the computer puts the engine into a reduced power "Limp mode" and you have to bring it is or it runs like a golf cart (Intentionally).
I guess it's their way of making sure you don't ignor ethe lights. This happened when the smog pumps went out (two times), but apparently it happens for any major issue the computer senses.

I wish Ranch Hand made bumpers for it, some day maybe.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 7:26:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Got a new 2011 Tundra CrewMax with Rock Warrior package.  Same as the Taco guy, looking to use it as a DD/BOV.  Any mods or things to know?  This is my first truck.  

BTW, bedliner is first.  Since I don't have a payment on the Tundra () I can't afford to do the Line-X thing so a plastic liner is going in it.

I put one of the custom made fabric 'Bed Rugs' in my Tacoma. Dampened the road noise, rinsed out easy, fitted for all the plug outlets and bed tie downs. Also,  bed dividers will keep stuff in place.

Have fun, great trucks. I passed on a 6-speed manual TRD Off-Road and am still kicking myself.

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 7:40:27 AM EDT
[#3]
This was the '08 I owned:

Good truck. I traded to drive a car and now I'm back in a truck- 2011 Sierra.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 7:53:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I have an '04.

(I hate you fuckers with the new ones!!!!!!!!!!! I want one so bad.)
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 8:18:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have an '04.

Mine's an '04 as well.

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 8:42:35 AM EDT
[#6]
i worked at toyota as a service advisor for a while, it always made my day better talking to tundra owners instead of prius owners
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 8:48:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
i worked at toyota as a service advisor for a while, it always made my day better talking to tundra owners instead of prius owners

In before Matthew_Q's tidal wave of butthurt.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 8:49:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

no shit
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 8:50:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Working in ther service department at toyota i got to take this 2011 crewmax rock warrior home for a couple days in place od my 2002 duramax....i still would not have done a straight up trade for my 2002 2500hd with 150,000 miles for that toyota
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 8:51:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

im guessing he drives a prius?
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 9:05:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Good truck. I traded to drive a car and now I'm back in a truck- 2011 Sierra.

Don't feel bad. I traded my 07 F150 for a Corolla, hated it then trade back into an 07 Tundra. I hate small cars.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 9:09:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have an '04.

I think the older model Tundras were better.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 9:31:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Working in ther service department at toyota i got to take this 2011 crewmax rock warrior home for a couple days in place od my 2002 duramax....i still would not have done a straight up trade for my 2002 2500hd with 150,000 miles for that toyota
http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt302/AllstarGraphics1/184700_1641368280219_1417182714_31424558_1308486_n.jpg

Good for you.

Back on topic?
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 9:34:48 AM EDT
[#14]
nvm.  not a hijack.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 12:30:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I like my Tundra, however I have the 2007 which had a few flaws they have hopefully worked out in the 2011 model, like the radio reception sucked and the shocks were crap.

One thing I found out was normal was the "thud" you get from the two piece driveshaft sometimes after stopping at the stoplight quickly. Apparently it releases tension sometimes after you have stopped. Service department says this is normal. Takes getting used to.

Another tundra quirk was the smog pumps going out early after getting wet and sucking in water and corroding due to poor placement. Hopefully they fixed that on the 2010 model. It was covered by the 5 year emmisions warranty but still a pain when unexpected, and they didn't go out at the same time. About $2000 of warranty work.  That's when I found out about Tundra "limp mode".  That's the one thing I hate about mine.
If certain trouble lights come on, the computer puts the engine into a reduced power "Limp mode" and you have to bring it is or it runs like a golf cart (Intentionally).
I guess it's their way of making sure you don't ignor ethe lights. This happened when the smog pumps went out (two times), but apparently it happens for any major issue the computer senses.

Ranch hand does make bumbers for it. Good luck finding them in stock, get on a list and wait. Tuff Country makes some as well.
And OP, if you can't swing a spray in bed liner, why not a DIY like a herculiner? Anything beats a plastic liner.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 2:12:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Ranch hand does make bumpers for it. Good luck finding them in stock, get on a list and wait. Tuff Country makes some as well.

I'll have to call them, didn't see them on their web site.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 2:30:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I drive a '05 Tundra Quad cab and am familiar with the "clunk" after stopping. I initially thought it was from the rear leaf springs being wound up, but I found that it's the slip yoke in the rear driveshaft. Whenever I get the clunk at a stop light, I give the grease fitting on the driveshaft spline a few pumps with the grease gun. On mine, it's right in front of the rear differential.

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 2:36:31 PM EDT
[#18]
I drove an '04 DoubleCab for 7 years.  I traded it on a 4Runner Limited last October.  I ended up hating the 4Runner.  Last Monday I bought a PreRunner.  For as much as I would love another big ass truck, there really was no way for me to justify it to myself.  

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 2:36:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ranch hand does make bumpers for it. Good luck finding them in stock, get on a list and wait. Tuff Country makes some as well.

Ranch Hand Tundra Bumper

Tuff Country Bumpers
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 2:52:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My aunt and uncle have a Ranch Hand grill guard on their 2010. Pretty nice IMO, it doesn't block the hi-beams or shine them back in your face at all.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 7:36:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

im guessing he drives a prius?

Correct.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 8:28:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ranch Hand Tundra Bumper

Tuff Country Bumpers

I really like that Tuff Country Apache model.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 8:36:29 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a 2011 Tundra TRD Sport just like this one.
eta - The only things I added to it were a TRD rear anti-sway bar and a TRD dual exhaust.

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 8:50:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Save up the money and do the LineX, don't bubba your truck with a drop-in or a roll-on liner.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 8:53:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
eta - The only things I added to it were a TRD rear anti-sway bar and a TRD dual exhaust.

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn73/AKSU_album/529e094e.jpg

damn nice truck
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 9:27:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

lighter weight
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 9:37:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

lighter weight

Bookmarked, thanks!
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 6:34:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Still driving my '03 here. If it ever wears out I'll get one of the new ones. Only got 260k on it. Will need another timing belt in 20-30k and eventually I'll have to put shocks on it. Still tight and rattlefree.  Toyota seems to build'em pretty good.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 2:09:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn73/AKSU_album/529e094e.jpg

That is sweet looking.  Black was my first choice but the dealership that had a black one didn't want to deal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top