Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/15/2015 3:02:41 PM EDT
Announcement expected momentarily. If he doesn't get the death penalty, I'll be pissed...

The stories of the survivors and first responders were dramatic and haunting. Among them:

• Smoke coming out of Krystle Campbell's mouth as she screamed. The 29-year-old restaurant manager clutched her best friend's hand, said her legs hurt and then bled to death in the street. It took all of a minute.

• Lingzi Lu screaming in horror and agony as she covered her eyes with her long, tapered musician's fingers. The 23-year-old grad student vomited repeatedly as she bled to death. A police officer stood vigil by her side, even after being ordered to leave her body behind at the crime scene. The officer said she didn't want Lu to be alone.

• Denise Richard, blinded in one eye by bomb shrapnel, crouching over the shredded, 70-pound body of her 8-year-old boy, Martin, begging him to live: "Please, Martin, please!" Her husband, Bill, faced a difficult choice: Stay, or run to save their daughter? He scooped up 6-year-old Jane, her leg gone, and carried her to safety.

• Sydney Corcoran telling jurors what it felt like to slip toward death:

"I was dying. The blood was leaving my body. I was bleeding out. I remember thinking that this was it, I'm going to die, I'm not going to make it. And I remember feeling like I was just going to sleep. And it just felt so cold, and I almost felt peaceful because I just felt like I was going to sleep and I knew I was fading fast."

Boston bombing: The dead and injured 20 photos

Martin Richard, 8, was in the second grade and loved the Red Sox. He was the middle of three children and is best known for a school project in which he made a poster with a peace sign and the words "No more hurting people." He was less than 4 feet from the second bomb. He bled to death as his mother leaned over him, begging him to live.

Hide Caption

1 of 20

Lingzi Lu, 23, was a graduate student from China, studying statistics. A gifted musician and public speaker, she was enjoying her time in the United States. She decided to watch the Boston Marathon as a study break. The second bomb sliced her leg open from hip to toe, and she bled to death. Her aunt called her "a beautiful nerd."

Hide Caption

2 of 20

Krystle Campbell, 29, was remembered by her father as his "Princess," but she loved sports and the outdoors and "wasn't a girly girl," he said. She put on big family parties and was close to her brother. She was working as a restaurant manager. She was burned and cut by hot shrapnel from the first bomb and bled to death.

Hide Caption

3 of 20

Sean Collier, 26, grew up in a big "Brady Bunch"-blended family and always wanted to be a police officer. He viewed the world from a moral stance, and felt a strong sense of right and wrong. He loved to race cars with his brother and go on family vacations. He was shot to death in his patrol car on the MIT campus because the Tsarnaev brothers wanted his gun to use in their escape.

Hide Caption

4 of 20

Celeste Corcoran, left, and her daughter, Sydney Corcoran, recovered in the same hospital room. Doctors were able to save Sydney's leg, but Celeste lost both of hers. Sydney recalled how she felt the life drain from her body and believed she was dying. Celeste felt great frustration when she couldn't rush to her daughter's side. "I never forget I'm a double amputee," Celeste said. "There's always a level of discomfort."

Hide Caption

5 of 20

Adrianne Haslet-Davis is a ballroom dancer. She remembers walking through the crowd on Boylston Street, holding hands with her husband, Adam, and feeling happy and in love. Then the bombs went off. Her husband, who is in the military, told her they'd been in a terrorist attack. But the second bomb went off before they could leave. She knew immediately something was wrong with her foot, and could see blood everywhere. She couldn't hear her own screams and thought she was dead. They were dragged into the Forum restaurant, and a first responder recalled hearing her husband apologize to her over and over for bringing her to the event. She testified that he recently checked himself into a Veterans Affairs mental health program.

Hide Caption

6 of 20

Erika Brannock was the last bomb survivor to leave the hospital. She came to the marathon from her home in suburban Maryland to cheer her mother on and was excited about being able to get so close to the finish line. Her sister, Nicole Gross, testified that she recalled pushing Brannock through the crowd so they could get closer. "I said, 'One, two, three, go,' and as soon as I said, 'Go,' the bomb went off," Gross said. Brannock told reporters in 2013 that she saw flashes of orange and yellow light and was knocked to the pavement. She couldn't move her foot and thought she was going to die. She said she's had moments when she was angry with the bombers but "I can't waste my energy being angry. I need to save energy for getting well and for being with people who care about me and want me to get better."

Hide Caption

7 of 20

Jeff Bauman remembers looking down at his legs. "It was just pure carnage. I could see my bones and the flesh sticking out, and I just went into tunnel vision. I thought this is really messed up, this is messed up, that's all I said in my head. This is how it's going to end. This is it. I had a great life. I saw the world. I played sports growing up. I had a lot of friends ... I made peace with myself at that point."

Hide Caption

8 of 20

Heather Abbott was outside the Forum restaurant when the second bomb went off. "I was catapulted through the doors of the restaurant, which was open. I landed in a puddle of chaos and blood and glass. People were running in herds by me, through the restaurant to get to the back exit, away from where the bomb was." Her foot was badly mangled, and she decided to amputate below the knee. She wears a prosthetic with toes and a high heel.

Hide Caption

9 of 20

J.P. Norden, left, and his brother, Paul Norden, did not testify during the trial, preferring to put the bombing behind them. Their mother, Liz, is outspoken in the survivor community.

Hide Caption

10 of 20

Karen Rand McWatters lost a leg -- and one of her best friends. She and Krystle Campbell spent the day laughing and posting selfies on Facebook before heading to the finish line. She was knocked to the ground by the first blast, and heard the second before she could understand what was happening. Her foot was turned in the wrong direction, but she dragged herself toward Campbell. She couldn't see how badly hurt her friend was. "I got close to her head, and we put our faces together. She very slowly said her legs hurt, and we held hands and very shortly after her hand went limp and we never spoke again."

Hide Caption

11 of 20

Mery Daniel, a young mother from Haiti, was attending her second marathon when she was knocked to the pavement. She lost a leg, and the other leg was also damaged. She had pushed herself from ESL classes all the way to medical school, and instead found herself relearning how to walk with a prosthesis. She wears her "Boston Strong" T-shirt proudly.

Hide Caption

12 of 20

Marc Fucarile was at the marathon with friends, and was struck by hot shrapnel from the second bomb. His pants caught fire, and he suffered burns over 90% of his lower body. His belt buckle was so hot, it burned his hand when he tried to undo it. One leg was blown off at the scene, and he's still trying to save the other, but might not win that battle, he said. He's had more skin grafts than he can remember.

Hide Caption

13 of 20

Patrick Downes and Jessica Kensky Downes met when they were interns on Capitol Hill. She lost both legs and was pushed into court in a wheelchair. Her aide dog, Rescue, lay beside her as she testified. "I remember being happy, I remember feeling sunlight on my face. I remember feeling free." And then the bomb went off. Because she is a nurse, she focused on saving her husband. His foot and part of his leg were hanging by a thread. She remembers screaming, and not being able to hear anything. This photo was taken before she decided to amputate her second leg in January. "I wanted to paint my toenails and put my feet in the sand. I wanted all of those things, and to lose my second leg was a gut-wrenching decision."

Hide Caption

14 of 20

Rebekah Gregory was celebrating her birthday weekend at the marathon with family and friends. She remembers coming to after the blast and reaching for her 5-year-old son, Noah. She could see bones protruding from her arm. She also lost a leg below the knee. Like many bomb survivors, she was convinced she was going to die that day. She is using a blade to run again. After she testified, she wrote a note to Dzhokhar Tsarnaev on her Facebook page saying she is not afraid of him.

Hide Caption

15 of 20

Roseann Sdoia had run a 5K the day before the marathon. She heard the first bomb and decided to run for it. Then she saw two explosions of white light at her feet. She knew she'd lost a leg before she hit the ground. She saw a severed foot with a sock and remembers asking herself if she wore socks that day. "It was somebody else's foot." She thought she'd rather die than live as an amputee but then considered all the people she'd be leaving behind. So she willed herself to stay conscious and fight.

Hide Caption

16 of 20

Jane Richard, in the pink skirt, lost her leg. She holds the hand of her brother Henry as they walk down Boylston Street with their parents and others after an April 15 ceremony this year. She was standing next to her brother Martin behind a metal barricade when the second bomb went off. Her father, Bill, took one look at Martin, knew he wouldn't make it and focused his efforts on saving Jane. She sang in April at Fenway Park on opening day.

Hide Caption

17 of 20

Mary Jo White and Bill White, right, had gone with son Kevin into the city for lunch and were on their way back to "the T," as Boston's public transportation system is called, when they decided to stop by the finish line. They were just feet away from the first bomb. Bill, a veteran who earned a Purple Heart in Vietnam, lost his leg above the knee. Kevin, who serves as the family spokesman, says his parents, who are in their 70s, don't like to talk about the events of April 15, 2013. He told his local newspaper he "really has no feelings" for Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.

Hide Caption

18 of 20

Steve Woolfenden, a biomedical researcher, was pushing his son, Leo, in a stroller along Boylston Street. His wife was running the marathon, and they were making their way to the finish line when the first bomb went off. He started to turn the stroller around in the crowd, but the second blast caught them. Woolfenden's leg was severed on the scene. He could see it still in the boot next to him, the tibia protruding. His focus was on Leo and getting him help.

Hide Caption

19 of 20

Leo Woolfenden was lifted from his stroller by a first responder as the boy's father lay on the ground with a severed leg. Leo suffered a skull fracture.

• And Jeff Bauman describing his thoughts as he looked down at the place where his legs had been and saw a bloody bone protruding from the torn flesh: "This is messed up." He said he "knew instantly that my legs were gone."

In one of the trial's most dramatic moments, prosecutor Mellin paused during his closing for what turned out to be 20 seconds. He gained the attention of everyone in the courtroom as silence consumed them.

Twenty seconds. It seemed like forever. And then Mellin said: Multiply that pause by 12, and that's how long Tsarnaev stood with his backpack bomb behind a row of children.

He also brought home the continuing ripples of devastation, ticking off the names of the 17 people who lost limbs in the blast:

Jeff Bauman

Erika Brannock

Celeste Corcoran

Mery Daniel

Rebekah Gregory

Patrick Downes

Jessica Kensky

Karen McWatters

William White

Heather Abbott

Roseann Sdoia

Marc Fucarile

Paul Norden

J.P. Norden

Adrianne Haslet-Davis

Steve Woolfenden

Jane Richard

For them, and for the families of Krystle Campbell, Martin Richard, Lingzi Lu and Sean Collier, this case will never be over.

Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:06:37 PM EDT
[#1]
They should blow his legs off with a bomb and then let him bleed out -- as long as it took more than 2 hours.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:15:06 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

They should blow his legs off with a bomb and then let him bleed out -- as long as it took more than 2 hours.
View Quote

At least.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:16:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Listening.......get on with it, CBS Boston!

I would prefer he rot in prison, DON'T give him what he wants.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:16:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I vote life in prison. Don't misunderstand me, it's not out of sympathy for him, it's because I believe a life in Florence ADX is worse than death.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:17:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm watching and I think that he'll get the DP.  Don't have a problem if he does.

Chris
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:19:16 PM EDT
[#6]
He will get death penalty which will later be commuted to life without parole. /Thread.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:19:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
He will get death penalty which will later be commuted to life without parole. /Thread.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:20:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

At least.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At least.

I'm oddly ok with this.

Txl
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:21:20 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I vote life in prison. Don't misunderstand me, it's not out of sympathy for him, it's because I believe a life in Florence ADX is worse than death.
View Quote

Death is the only way society can be assured he never gets out.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:23:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd take the chance.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:25:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Question is whether he could be of any value in terms of providing intelligence or study of to help prevent future terrorist attack of a similar nature AND whether that couldn't be accomplished leading up to his execution. If so, than keeping him alive would be advisable.

The other consideration is whether his imprisonment would possible motivate someone to try to secure his release through threats or terrorist actions?

Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:26:12 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I'd take the chance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd take the chance.
Tell that to this guy.....

Oh...wait...you can't.

Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:26:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Death
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:28:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Hang him, publicly.

Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:29:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Question is whether he could be of any value in terms of providing intelligence or study of to help prevent future terrorist attack of a similar nature AND whether that couldn't be accomplished leading up to his execution. If so, than keeping him alive would be advisable.

The other consideration is whether his imprisonment would possible motivate someone to try to secure his release through threats or terrorist actions?

View Quote

He was probably nothing more than his brother's lackey that doesn't know shit. My guess is that no one will try to save him through violent means.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:30:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Death isn't good enough...

But fuck it, I'll push the plunger/throw the switch/pull the trigger.

I'll sleep just fine at night too.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:30:30 PM EDT
[#17]
there aren't many time in life that I will say this but I'd pull the trigger.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:30:37 PM EDT
[#18]
He's gonna die

Bye bye. You worthless piece of shit
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:31:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Good.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:31:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Kind of surprised the jury did its job. Now we need a fast lane to the electric chair.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:32:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Well done boston
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:32:20 PM EDT
[#22]
In before FBHO pardon.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:32:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:33:03 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
He was probably nothing more than his brother's lackey that doesn't know shit. My guess is that no one will try to save him through violent means.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

He and his brother are just scumbag cocksuckers who came to this country, enjoyed all of it's opportunity...then decided it would be cool to kill a bunch of people to show their gratitude.

Kill that cocksucker...

Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:33:15 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Well done boston
View Quote
He'll die of old age in prison before they actually do it.

Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:33:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
He's gonna die

View Quote

Of old age.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:33:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Kind of surprised the jury did its job. Now we need a fast lane to the electric chair.
View Quote

I vote firing squad
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:34:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
<a href="http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/150417085633-martin-richard-large-169.jpg" target="_blank">http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/150417085633-martin-richard-large-169.jpg</a>
Oh...wait...you can't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd take the chance.
<a href="http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/150417085633-martin-richard-large-169.jpg" target="_blank">http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/150417085633-martin-richard-large-169.jpg</a>
Oh...wait...you can't.

Oh don't try to play me with that crap. Why exactly do you think he might get out of prison if sentenced to life w/o parole?
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:34:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Of old age.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He's gonna die

Of old age.

why? He got the death penalty
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:35:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Death, a gruesome or at least swift one, is the strongest message of deterrence that would be murders can be sent.

There is no message of deterrence in a prison sentence no matter how terrible the prison life may be as no one will ever here about it, they will only understand that the killers are still enjoying life while locked up having everything provided for them.

Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:35:46 PM EDT
[#31]
This is such good news it deserved two threads.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:36:16 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He's gonna die

Of old age.

So did Richard Ramirez, aka the Night Stalker.

Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:36:45 PM EDT
[#33]
I wonder how long till Obama commutes his death sentence?
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:37:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Rot in hell motherfucker
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:37:08 PM EDT
[#35]
It's funny, but I'm watching MSNBC as the verdict was read and now the pundits are talking about how bad the SuperMax prisons are and they're almost coming to the conclusion that the death penalty would actually be more humane for him, lol.

These times...they are a changin'.

Chris
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:37:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Good. Fuck him.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:37:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Couldn't have happened to a more deserving flesh sack.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:37:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Should be death by 22 LR brick
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:37:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:37:58 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Announcement expected momentarily. If he doesn't get the death penalty, I'll be pissed...

The stories of the survivors and first responders were dramatic and haunting. Among them:

• Smoke coming out of Krystle Campbell's mouth as she screamed. The 29-year-old restaurant manager clutched her best friend's hand, said her legs hurt and then bled to death in the street. It took all of a minute.

• Lingzi Lu screaming in horror and agony as she covered her eyes with her long, tapered musician's fingers. The 23-year-old grad student vomited repeatedly as she bled to death. A police officer stood vigil by her side, even after being ordered to leave her body behind at the crime scene. The officer said she didn't want Lu to be alone.

• Denise Richard, blinded in one eye by bomb shrapnel, crouching over the shredded, 70-pound body of her 8-year-old boy, Martin, begging him to live: "Please, Martin, please!" Her husband, Bill, faced a difficult choice: Stay, or run to save their daughter? He scooped up 6-year-old Jane, her leg gone, and carried her to safety.

• Sydney Corcoran telling jurors what it felt like to slip toward death:

"I was dying. The blood was leaving my body. I was bleeding out. I remember thinking that this was it, I'm going to die, I'm not going to make it. And I remember feeling like I was just going to sleep. And it just felt so cold, and I almost felt peaceful because I just felt like I was going to sleep and I knew I was fading fast."

View Quote

Martin Richard, 8, was in the second grade and loved the Red Sox. He was the middle of three children and is best known for a school project in which he made a poster with a peace sign and the words "No more hurting people." He was less than 4 feet from the second bomb. He bled to death as his mother leaned over him, begging him to live.

Hide Caption

1 of 20

Lingzi Lu, 23, was a graduate student from China, studying statistics. A gifted musician and public speaker, she was enjoying her time in the United States. She decided to watch the Boston Marathon as a study break. The second bomb sliced her leg open from hip to toe, and she bled to death. Her aunt called her "a beautiful nerd."

Hide Caption

2 of 20

Krystle Campbell, 29, was remembered by her father as his "Princess," but she loved sports and the outdoors and "wasn't a girly girl," he said. She put on big family parties and was close to her brother. She was working as a restaurant manager. She was burned and cut by hot shrapnel from the first bomb and bled to death.

Hide Caption

3 of 20

Sean Collier, 26, grew up in a big "Brady Bunch"-blended family and always wanted to be a police officer. He viewed the world from a moral stance, and felt a strong sense of right and wrong. He loved to race cars with his brother and go on family vacations. He was shot to death in his patrol car on the MIT campus because the Tsarnaev brothers wanted his gun to use in their escape.

Hide Caption

4 of 20

Celeste Corcoran, left, and her daughter, Sydney Corcoran, recovered in the same hospital room. Doctors were able to save Sydney's leg, but Celeste lost both of hers. Sydney recalled how she felt the life drain from her body and believed she was dying. Celeste felt great frustration when she couldn't rush to her daughter's side. "I never forget I'm a double amputee," Celeste said. "There's always a level of discomfort."

Hide Caption

5 of 20

Adrianne Haslet-Davis is a ballroom dancer. She remembers walking through the crowd on Boylston Street, holding hands with her husband, Adam, and feeling happy and in love. Then the bombs went off. Her husband, who is in the military, told her they'd been in a terrorist attack. But the second bomb went off before they could leave. She knew immediately something was wrong with her foot, and could see blood everywhere. She couldn't hear her own screams and thought she was dead. They were dragged into the Forum restaurant, and a first responder recalled hearing her husband apologize to her over and over for bringing her to the event. She testified that he recently checked himself into a Veterans Affairs mental health program.

Hide Caption

6 of 20

Erika Brannock was the last bomb survivor to leave the hospital. She came to the marathon from her home in suburban Maryland to cheer her mother on and was excited about being able to get so close to the finish line. Her sister, Nicole Gross, testified that she recalled pushing Brannock through the crowd so they could get closer. "I said, 'One, two, three, go,' and as soon as I said, 'Go,' the bomb went off," Gross said. Brannock told reporters in 2013 that she saw flashes of orange and yellow light and was knocked to the pavement. She couldn't move her foot and thought she was going to die. She said she's had moments when she was angry with the bombers but "I can't waste my energy being angry. I need to save energy for getting well and for being with people who care about me and want me to get better."

Hide Caption

7 of 20

Jeff Bauman remembers looking down at his legs. "It was just pure carnage. I could see my bones and the flesh sticking out, and I just went into tunnel vision. I thought this is really messed up, this is messed up, that's all I said in my head. This is how it's going to end. This is it. I had a great life. I saw the world. I played sports growing up. I had a lot of friends ... I made peace with myself at that point."

Hide Caption

8 of 20

Heather Abbott was outside the Forum restaurant when the second bomb went off. "I was catapulted through the doors of the restaurant, which was open. I landed in a puddle of chaos and blood and glass. People were running in herds by me, through the restaurant to get to the back exit, away from where the bomb was." Her foot was badly mangled, and she decided to amputate below the knee. She wears a prosthetic with toes and a high heel.

Hide Caption

9 of 20

J.P. Norden, left, and his brother, Paul Norden, did not testify during the trial, preferring to put the bombing behind them. Their mother, Liz, is outspoken in the survivor community.

Hide Caption

10 of 20

Karen Rand McWatters lost a leg -- and one of her best friends. She and Krystle Campbell spent the day laughing and posting selfies on Facebook before heading to the finish line. She was knocked to the ground by the first blast, and heard the second before she could understand what was happening. Her foot was turned in the wrong direction, but she dragged herself toward Campbell. She couldn't see how badly hurt her friend was. "I got close to her head, and we put our faces together. She very slowly said her legs hurt, and we held hands and very shortly after her hand went limp and we never spoke again."

Hide Caption

11 of 20

Mery Daniel, a young mother from Haiti, was attending her second marathon when she was knocked to the pavement. She lost a leg, and the other leg was also damaged. She had pushed herself from ESL classes all the way to medical school, and instead found herself relearning how to walk with a prosthesis. She wears her "Boston Strong" T-shirt proudly.

Hide Caption

12 of 20

Marc Fucarile was at the marathon with friends, and was struck by hot shrapnel from the second bomb. His pants caught fire, and he suffered burns over 90% of his lower body. His belt buckle was so hot, it burned his hand when he tried to undo it. One leg was blown off at the scene, and he's still trying to save the other, but might not win that battle, he said. He's had more skin grafts than he can remember.

Hide Caption

13 of 20

Patrick Downes and Jessica Kensky Downes met when they were interns on Capitol Hill. She lost both legs and was pushed into court in a wheelchair. Her aide dog, Rescue, lay beside her as she testified. "I remember being happy, I remember feeling sunlight on my face. I remember feeling free." And then the bomb went off. Because she is a nurse, she focused on saving her husband. His foot and part of his leg were hanging by a thread. She remembers screaming, and not being able to hear anything. This photo was taken before she decided to amputate her second leg in January. "I wanted to paint my toenails and put my feet in the sand. I wanted all of those things, and to lose my second leg was a gut-wrenching decision."

Hide Caption

14 of 20

Rebekah Gregory was celebrating her birthday weekend at the marathon with family and friends. She remembers coming to after the blast and reaching for her 5-year-old son, Noah. She could see bones protruding from her arm. She also lost a leg below the knee. Like many bomb survivors, she was convinced she was going to die that day. She is using a blade to run again. After she testified, she wrote a note to Dzhokhar Tsarnaev on her Facebook page saying she is not afraid of him.

Hide Caption

15 of 20

Roseann Sdoia had run a 5K the day before the marathon. She heard the first bomb and decided to run for it. Then she saw two explosions of white light at her feet. She knew she'd lost a leg before she hit the ground. She saw a severed foot with a sock and remembers asking herself if she wore socks that day. "It was somebody else's foot." She thought she'd rather die than live as an amputee but then considered all the people she'd be leaving behind. So she willed herself to stay conscious and fight.

Hide Caption

16 of 20

Jane Richard, in the pink skirt, lost her leg. She holds the hand of her brother Henry as they walk down Boylston Street with their parents and others after an April 15 ceremony this year. She was standing next to her brother Martin behind a metal barricade when the second bomb went off. Her father, Bill, took one look at Martin, knew he wouldn't make it and focused his efforts on saving Jane. She sang in April at Fenway Park on opening day.

Hide Caption

17 of 20

Mary Jo White and Bill White, right, had gone with son Kevin into the city for lunch and were on their way back to "the T," as Boston's public transportation system is called, when they decided to stop by the finish line. They were just feet away from the first bomb. Bill, a veteran who earned a Purple Heart in Vietnam, lost his leg above the knee. Kevin, who serves as the family spokesman, says his parents, who are in their 70s, don't like to talk about the events of April 15, 2013. He told his local newspaper he "really has no feelings" for Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.

Hide Caption

18 of 20

Steve Woolfenden, a biomedical researcher, was pushing his son, Leo, in a stroller along Boylston Street. His wife was running the marathon, and they were making their way to the finish line when the first bomb went off. He started to turn the stroller around in the crowd, but the second blast caught them. Woolfenden's leg was severed on the scene. He could see it still in the boot next to him, the tibia protruding. His focus was on Leo and getting him help.

Hide Caption

19 of 20

Leo Woolfenden was lifted from his stroller by a first responder as the boy's father lay on the ground with a severed leg. Leo suffered a skull fracture.
• And Jeff Bauman describing his thoughts as he looked down at the place where his legs had been and saw a bloody bone protruding from the torn flesh: "This is messed up." He said he "knew instantly that my legs were gone."

In one of the trial's most dramatic moments, prosecutor Mellin paused during his closing for what turned out to be 20 seconds. He gained the attention of everyone in the courtroom as silence consumed them.

Twenty seconds. It seemed like forever. And then Mellin said: Multiply that pause by 12, and that's how long Tsarnaev stood with his backpack bomb behind a row of children.

He also brought home the continuing ripples of devastation, ticking off the names of the 17 people who lost limbs in the blast:

Jeff Bauman

Erika Brannock

Celeste Corcoran

Mery Daniel

Rebekah Gregory

Patrick Downes

Jessica Kensky

Karen McWatters

William White

Heather Abbott

Roseann Sdoia

Marc Fucarile

Paul Norden

J.P. Norden

Adrianne Haslet-Davis

Steve Woolfenden

Jane Richard

For them, and for the families of Krystle Campbell, Martin Richard, Lingzi Lu and Sean Collier, this case will never be over.

Sad

Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:38:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:38:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Carry him out back and put a bullet in his head. Let his corpse rot.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:38:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Massachusetts doesn't have the death penalty yet when this happens they make sure he's tried in federal court so he can be put down... Don't get me wrong he deserves to die but seems to me like MA wants to say they don't have capital punishment while at the same time having the option when they really want to by pushing it to federal court.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:39:37 PM EDT
[#44]
So is this one of those deals where it takes 25-30 years for all the appeals to work their way through the system before they actually kill him?
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:39:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm surprised how much those pictures and stories still tear up my heart.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:39:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:39:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Hang him

NEVER FORGET

NEVER FORGIVE
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:40:00 PM EDT
[#48]
And in 20-30 years if and when it happens, we'll barely remember today.

Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:40:23 PM EDT
[#49]
What are the chances he will get executed?  If he got convicted in a Texas court I would say it was a done deal, but in Mass I would say it is slim to none.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:40:26 PM EDT
[#50]
They should let him go... in downtown Boston. See what happens.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top