Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2006 7:44:57 PM EDT
Wifes friend sent this over earlier, is she true or false?

Canada actually has a higher gun ownership per capita statistic than the States, despite the reputation that were a bunch of peacekeeping pussies. Not that that means anyone actually USES their guns. ;)
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:47:45 PM EDT
[#1]
It's possible - Canada isn't necessarily Vegas.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:48:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I doubt it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:50:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Canada is much more rural than the US, so it is possible. They just dont have as many who believe in the RTKBA, alot of elmer fudd types im shure.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:52:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I know when my buddy moved to Canada they confinscated all of his pistols, so that's kind of why this quote was a shock to me.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:52:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I think the possibility that some ARFCOMERS here have more per capita than Canada, is probably more true.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:53:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:53:57 PM EDT
[#7]
IIRC, I think it's true that the ownership RATE is higher in Canada than the U.S. ....in other words, there are more guns in America, but Canadians are statistically more likely to own a firearm.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:00:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
IIRC, I think it's true that the ownership RATE is higher in Canada than the U.S. ....in other words, there are more guns in America, but Canadians are statistically more likely to own a firearm.

Probably...I bet they have alot of rabid moose up there tearing up the town
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:00:35 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Thats how I have heard it too. She must have been watching bowling for columbine. That moron spoke of that in the movie. And before anyone bitches because I watched it, it was a pirated internet copy, and I just had to see what everyone was complaining about.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:20:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:22:07 PM EDT
[#11]
They're probably all big game (read moose) rifles.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:27:58 PM EDT
[#12]
http://www.guncontrol.ca/Content/TheCaseForGunControl.html

Don't hotlink that because it's a gun control website.  Thier table show the US having more guns per capita.  The US is .82 to Canada's .25.  Take it with a grain of salt though because it is a gun control website.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:30:37 PM EDT
[#13]
That may be the case, but I bet more americans own belt feds per capita then canadians.

*sigh*

someday...
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:32:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Approx 32 476 700 people in Canada and an estimated 7 to 9 million firearms.
<shrug>...I know how many I own..

32 million, huh?

Time to annex.

I'm kidding. Sort of.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:33:58 PM EDT
[#15]
It's not true. theres is 260 million guns and 290 million americans. I think there is like 40 million canadains and only 8 million guns.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:35:29 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

32 million, huh?

Time to annex.

I'm kidding. Sort of.

Canada is already our bitch.

Edit:
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:43:50 PM EDT
[#17]
I would say false. But then again,what the hell do I know?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:52:59 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Did you register your guns up there?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:08:50 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
That may be the case, but I bet more americans own belt feds per capita then canadians.

*sigh*

someday...

LOL That's funny because I emailed her a picture of my 1919 and said "BETCHA CANT OWN THESE IN CANADA!!" and thats when she returned fire with that statistic.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:17:10 PM EDT
[#20]

striker said:

REALLY?  I could have sworn Canada had, like, seven or eight thousand people, tops.  Huh.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:32:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Little old NZ (with Licences required for all firearms)

Some guestimates from various sources..

Total Population 4 Million,
Licences 270,000 people. (7%)
Legal Number of Guns, 1 to 1.3 Million.
illegal estimate number of guns 10-15,000.

Not a huge amount of the population have them, but if they do. (4.5 guns per owner on average)

Oh, Cat C licence holders. (in the USA you'd call this Class 3 I believe) about 3,200

Small little country at the end of the world.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:37:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Texas alone has more guns than Canada!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:46:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:14:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Canada has high rates of ownership as has been said approx population of 32 million number of guns estimated from 7-11 million firearms.
Canadians have less guns per owner, more owners per capita.

And yes, some (grandfathered owners before 1979) own F/A 1919's and any licenced owner can own a semi 1919. Oh ya, we can get "real" 550's (semiform, anyway), too.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:16:06 PM EDT
[#25]

There are about 32M people and there are over 7Million REGISTERED guns . Source of info, the Canadian Firearms Center Gun Registry ( the horses mouth ). I assure you there are a whole lot more that people....er ...forgot to register

That aside having lived in Michigan , Ohio lots of Canadian provinces I can conclude the following

1. Way more handguns in the USA . Reason is hanguns are restricted in Canada so you can't really plink with them anywhere other than a range, and you can't really hunt with them ( legaly ) so lots of Canadians couldn't be bothered

2. In some states you find lots of big game hunters with 30-30, handguns, shotguns etc , as well as there are some states ( or part of...eg MI ) where you can't use a rifle to hunt.

Out in Western Canada ( huge area essentially little people ) ALL the people I hunt with are using high end Sako TRGs, Accuracy International, Weatherbys, custom builds in 338 Lapua, 30-378Wby, 300Wby, 300win, lots of Ultramags, 257Wby

Not until you hunt the Rockies or praries can you appreciate the advantage of accurate rifles in calibers that can reach out

One of the guides in the Kananaskis part of the rockies has you sight in at his ranch before going out for elk / sheep. He has a 100yrd , 200yrd, 400yard gong . I've "helped" lots of visitors ( who typically never been out west ) try to hit the 400yard gong ( its 2 ft round so its not that hard ! ). Its amazing how many can't eve hit the 200yard  let alone the 400 ! This guide will not set you up for a long shot if you can't reach out there. Which is why he has the little test before going out

So to assume we are all farmer boys with lever guns is wrong

3. Lots of ARs , even in the super tree hugging city of Vancouver . Lots of precision / tac rifles as well. Go the ranges on the weekends and more than half are more are "black" rifles

4. Since the vast majority of Canada is rural there are lots of places where they blantantly disregard gun laws.

5. Lots of gun racks in pickup trucks in the US , hardly any in Canada ( they are stuffed behind / under the seat )

6. Near impossible to get a CCW in Canada yet strangely all the gun stores stock and sell lots of holsters !

7. Can't legally own silencers ( private ownership ) here
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top