Warning

 

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 3/30/2006 2:30:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/30/2006 2:42:35 PM EDT by Daytona955i]
Okay, so I know this girl and this is something that she wrote. Could this possibly be something that can actually happen to people? Anyone ever heard of this before? Excuse the writing, it was written informally after all.


...to explain why in fact i liked grapes so much... its a facinating story really

when i was young i had a yeast infection in my stomach lining, apparently this wasnt just any yeast infection because obviously my stomach acid would have killed that and it would not have been a good living/growing environment for yeast... so this was super human bacterial yeast (making sense? prolly not)

anyway.. as you prolly know the fermentation process of fruite is sped up by the presence of yeast... and it yeilds (you guessed it) alcohol. So everytime i drank juice it fermented in mystomach and turned to alcohol thus making me drunk... and needless to say grape juice worked the best/fastest which is prolly why i liked it so much... and prolly why i named my dog after the only vice i had at 5 years old

Needless to say this was not a easy condidtion to diagnose so i was drunk for a good portion of my childhood... cos after all think of how much juice you consumed as a kid...



I'm not sure myself, seems highly unlikely. (She's 22 years old right now by the way.)
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:32:21 PM EDT
That would fucking own
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:34:50 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:35:24 PM EDT
LOL

TOTAL, TOTAL BS.

even the fastest genetically-engineering brewing yeast takes 24 hours to complete it's fermentation. there is no way possible that the grape juice would be fermented enough to get her drunk before it passed through her system. unless she had a blockage or something and it was staying in there for days and days, in which case she'd probably die anyways.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:36:02 PM EDT
It would have to be in there a loooooong time to get her drunk
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:39:01 PM EDT
Belly Wine?

Fruit of the Womb?

Silly silly girl.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:39:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Zakk_Wylde_470:
That would fucking own



sums it up right there.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:41:21 PM EDT
Anyone who uses "cos" rather than "because" or "'cause" isn't drunk, they are lazy and stupid.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:46:58 PM EDT

That's retarded.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:47:54 PM EDT
That story is total BS...
As stated by someone else, the juice would have passed through her system before it had a chance to ferment.
I have never heard of a yeast infection in someones stomach, and SERIOUSLY doubt its possibility.

Absolute BS
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:54:16 PM EDT

super human bacterial yeast


Tell her that bacteria are from a different kingdom of life than yeasts (fungi). Bacteria are prokaryotes, yeasts are eukaryotes (and are our close cousins, along with slime molds!).

But, bacteria are capable of mixed acid fermentation; and so, for 100 moles of glucose consumed, Escherichia coli (an enteric bacterium) can produce 42 moles of ethanol, 44 moles of CO2, and a mixture of organic acids (succinic, lactic, acetic and traces of formic). Certain lactic acid bacteria can also produce ethanol (Eg., Lactobacillus lycopersici will produce 70 moles of ethanol from 100 moles of glucose).

So, although I tend to agree with everyone else regarding the BS-ness of all this, there may be a small chance that these types of organisms dominated her intestinal flora and may have converted sugar to ethanol.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:59:04 PM EDT
This story sounds a bit off, but it could just be because of the girl's medical ignorance. Similar situations have been documented in the medical literature. The best example I can think of off the top of my head was of a Japanese man, I believe, who was overdosed with antibiotics. The high doses of antibiotics killed off the natural fauna of his intestinal tract. For those of you that don't know, the human gut is filled with an incredible amount of symbiotic microorganisms such as bacteria that aid in digestion (they can digest materials that our enzymes can't, they produce vitamins, they're also the reason lactose intolerance really sucks). Back to the story: So, in effect, the man's intestines were sterilized leading to pretty serious digestive problems. To solve the problem, physicians "reseeded" his bowels with new bacteria. However, the procedure sort of backfired in that a non-native strain of bacteria was introduced that produces ethanol as a waste product. The end result was that the man got plastered every time he ate sugary foods.

In the end, they figured out their mistake, killed off the bacteria again, and started over.

I learned about this story in cell biology. Hopefully I didn't screw up too many of the details.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:04:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TulaneBME:
This story sounds a bit off, but it could just be because of the girl's medical ignorance. Similar situations have been documented in the medical literature. The best example I can think of off the top of my head was of a Japanese man, I believe, who was overdosed with antibiotics. The high doses of antibiotics killed off the natural fauna of his intestinal tract. For those of you that don't know, the human gut is filled with an incredible amount of symbiotic microorganisms such as bacteria that aid in digestion (they can digest materials that our enzymes can't, they produce vitamins, they're also the reason lactose intolerance really sucks). Back to the story: So, in effect, the man's intestines were sterilized leading to pretty serious digestive problems. To solve the problem, physicians "reseeded" his bowels with new bacteria. However, the procedure sort of backfired in that a non-native strain of bacteria was introduced that produces ethanol as a waste product. The end result was that the man got plastered every time he ate sugary foods.

In the end, they figured out their mistake, killed off the bacteria again, and started over.

I learned about this story in cell biology. Hopefully I didn't screw up too many of the details.



Now this sounds right to me. I'd guess we have ethanol production all the time in our guts (not the stomach), but other bugs probably use the ethanol for their own metabolism. An imbalance in the gut ecology could lead to a net production of ethanol.

BTW - It's been estimated that 90% of all the cells in/on our body are bacteria. Yes, we're 90% bacteria!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:08:19 PM EDT
i had a friend tell me some grapes got smashed on his drive way and after it rained the geese ate them and got drink. needless to say the guy is a cronick liar and always good for a laugh.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:43:32 PM EDT
And what happens to all that CO2? Major gas attack! I have a hard time believing the yeast can break down the sugars fast enough to get someone drunk. Wine can take 7-12 days to finish primary fermentation.
Top Top