Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2003 5:51:05 AM EDT
I have been offered a position at a company located in Troy Michigan. This new position finally raises my salary to six figures, but I would like some info on Troy Michigan. What is the cost of living like, housing costs, how are the neighborhoods - I have heard bad things about detroit, is Troy similar? basically any info on Troy Michigan would be appreciated. I have lived my whole life in the Houston area, so I guess this would be a big change huh..

Thanks,
Mike
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:14:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Here goes.  I just moved to Michigan from Texas in March so this is new to me too.

I called my wife at work and asked her  Beautiful is all she said.

Troy is north of 12mile and apparently it is filled with beautiful homes and neighborhoods.

She turns around and says that we could live there comfortably just as we do now. And yes we live comfortably.

So...just a quick note. I live in a real sweet two story home with a great piece of property surrounded by woods; yet, I live in a city suburb. My home is $ $170,000...and she compared it to her old home, so if you are making six figures...you got made if you move North of 12mile...

They have basements too!!!!

Good Luck with it

Edit: she made me feel like it was comparing Houston with Katy...get out of the city and you find the truly nice neighborhoods.

Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:21:16 AM EDT
[#2]
You'll find taxes to be considerably higher than Texas; most firearm reulations are more restrictive----but not as bad as a Chicago, NJ, Cali, etc.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:34:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You'll find taxes to be considerably higher than Texas; most firearm reulations are more restrictive----but not as bad as a Chicago, NJ, Cali, etc.
View Quote

TO add to this...I still have and use my Texas CCW..but that ends today for I need to get my Michigan Drivers License.
We have state income tax unlike Texas...Unless you get a Michigan DL you cant buy Handguns of course..unless you get a Michigan CCW you have to go thru all this bullshit to buy a handgun.
I truly miss the laws of the west.
Michigan is so in debt it is ridiculous.  There is highway robbery on gas prices...The lowest is on wednsday and the highest is thursday thru sunday.  Charge what they want and when for the shit.  Insurance cost more. Michigan is a no fault state.
I have found to enjoy this state because I like snow; however, if my job offer pans out for May...my ass is moving back to central Texas and I will NEVER look back.  I am Jersey born and Michigan is pretty close to it. Which I despise. My family is only an 8 hour drive so maybe thats why I like it here.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:52:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Troy is in Oakland County which has the highest income per capita in Michigan. White collar, upper middle class. It has very good schools, and city services. A very good place to live. T

There are some very nice suburbs around Troy that are cheaper to live in. The north/west end of the neighboring city of Sterling Heights for example has the same housing, good services and good schools but lower costs as it is in Macomb County.

I suppose those from out west might look at Michigan with distain, but we have tons of rivers and lakes and woods and outdoor sports all year round. Hunting and fishing is very good and the northern part of the state is as pretty as you can find anywhere. It is a shall issue CCW state and the gun laws are better than in most places other than the southwest.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:57:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Being a long time michigan resident, I generally agree with reconbyfire, however, in regards to firearms laws michigan is not new jersey.  I lived for a year in maryland-that's new jersey- if it rains, by law you have to turn your car headlights on.  By law if it snows, your sidewalk must be shoveled, you'll get a ticket if you don't.  And the firearms laws are truly draconian.

Michigans firearms laws arn't that bad, if you have a CCW, hey you've got it made.  There is also abundant fishing and hunting all around the state.  

Is Michigan God's country? I don't know, for me it's pretty damn close.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:55:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Troy's cool for the most part.

I personally would rather live north of there (Rochester Hills) or northeast (Shelby Township). I'm in Shelby a lot. There is a lot of new construction there. It's in Macomb county which is cheaper to live in (Housing values at very least, possibly taxes although I don't know that one) than Oakland co. is.

Basically, I reiterate what Monkeyman said. ; )

jim
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 9:14:34 AM EDT
[#7]
I agree with the above memders and failed to mention...Michigan is a beautiful state when it comes to water and wildlife....the outdoors here is spectacular..especially in the UP

Link Posted: 12/15/2003 9:47:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Never been to Troy. But If you move fromTexas to Michigan you will have to register all of your handguns when you get there. You register then at the local PD or Sheriff's office, at a cost of about 12.00 each. Technically, they are suppossed to make you wait 6-months to register them, but most departments will waive that residency requirement.

If you have alot of handguns (rare in Michigan) you better make an appointment. Becuase you'll be there all day, with some grumpy clerk.  Oh, anything in your collection that measures under 30" is a handgun. Including BB Guns & PG Shotguns.

It would probubly be easier to sell all your handguns in Texas and buy new stuff after you get to Michigan.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top