Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:37:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Awesome.  I had seen some of those years ago, and always wished I had saved them.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:50:41 PM EDT
[#2]
first couple look like the "scrubbing bubbles" LOL
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:52:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Oh, it'll do some heavy duty cleaning, all right.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:53:32 PM EDT
[#4]
very cool
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:55:08 PM EDT
[#5]
mmmmm....mushrooms (drooling)
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:55:29 PM EDT
[#6]
someone with strong web-fu please make them into an animated .gif
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:56:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Hot spicy boner!

I just watched "The Atomic Bomb Movie: Trinity and Beyond," today.  Pretty awesome, we need MORE multiple megaton atmospheric tests these days.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:57:51 PM EDT
[#8]
here's a good video compilation...

thatvideosite.com/view/1471.html
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:59:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd like to pick me up some of that green glass left behind after all that sand was fused together.

^^BTW, maybe you should say the link above is not work safe maybe? hmm...?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:00:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Iran in 12 months
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:04:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
someone with strong web-fu please make them into an animated .gif

It wouldn't work, they're different fields of view.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:04:44 PM EDT
[#12]
tag
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:05:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Looks like someone opened up a can of sunshine
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:08:31 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

...and set to Strapping Young Lad's "Love."  Pretty cool.

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:11:54 PM EDT
[#15]
tag
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:29:58 PM EDT
[#16]
tagged
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:43:02 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, it'll do some heavy duty cleaning, all right.

"So you won't have toooooooooooooo"
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:03:51 AM EDT
[#18]
no guy wire propagation, full sphere, or elevation I don't think that' s Trinity.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:05:11 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

...and set to Strapping Young Lad's "Love."  Pretty cool.

Damn right, that really made the video.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:13:30 AM EDT
[#20]
my bad, yes it is, slow exposure.  

your missing half the story.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:23:18 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
no guy wire propagation, full sphere, or elevation I don't think that' s Trinity.

It is from the Trinity test shot, the guide wires have already been consumed.  More pics here;  Trinity

If the radiance of a thousand suns
Were to burst at once into the sky,
That would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...
I am become Death,
The shatterer of Worlds.

The Bhagavad-Gita

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:33:17 AM EDT
[#22]
cool to see, but i truly hope we never have to pop one off again!

full size ani here
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:53:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Cool pics.

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:12:11 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

It is from the Trinity test shot, the guide wires have already been consumed.  

Consumed? After only .016 seconds?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:13:27 AM EDT
[#25]
whoa
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:17:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Think thats cool? Find some pics of the castle bravo shot :-D
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:26:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Actually I think the coolest shots of nukes going off are the ones from "Trinity and Beyond: The Atomic Bomb Movie" where they mounted fission warheads on missiles (Nike Zeus?) and launched set them off in space.

Have to find those pics!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:31:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Cool.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:06:22 AM EDT
[#29]
FROM HERB YEATES

"The image above shows the growing fireball, taken about one millisecond after detonation, from [possibly the BOLTZMAN shot].

***Boomholzer note:  Google Rapatronic camera

There are two striking features about this picture - the spikes projecting from the bottom of the fireball, and the ghostly mottling of the fireball surface.

The peculiar spikes are extensions of the fireball surface along ropes or cables that stretch from the shot cab (the housing for the test device at the top of the tower) to the ground. This novel phenomenon was named a "rope trick" by Dr. John Malik who investigated it. The effect had been observed in earlier tests when spikes were seen extending along cables that moored the shot towers to the ground. During Snapper Malik conducted experiments using different kinds of cables and ropes, and with different surface treatments. Consequently the spikes in this picture may be due to either mooring cables, or Malik's own test ropes.

The cause of the "rope trick" is the absorption of thermal radiation from the fireball by the rope. The fireball is still extremely hot (surface temperature around 20,000 degrees K at this point, some three and a half times hotter than the surface of the sun; at the center it may be more than ten times hotter) and radiates a tremendous amount of energy as visible light (intensity over 100 times greater than the sun) to which air is (surprise!) completely transparent. The rope is not transparent however, and the section of rope extending from the fireball surface gets rapidly heated to very high temperatures. The luminous vaporized rope rapidly expands and forms a spike-shaped extension of the fireball. Malik observed that if the rope was painted black spike formation was enhanced, and if it was painted with reflective paint or wrapped in aluminum foil no spikes were observed.

Cause of the surface mottling. At this point in the explosion, a true hydrodynamic shock front has just formed. Prior to this moment the growth of the fireball was due to radiative transport, i.e. thermal x-rays outran the expanding bomb debris. Now however the fireball expansion is caused by the shock front driven by hydrodynamic pressure (as in a conventional explosion, only far more intense). The glowing surface of the fireball is due to shock compression heating of the air. This means that the fireball is now growing far more slowly than before. The bomb (and shot cab) vapors were initially accelerated to very high velocities (several tens of kilometers/sec) and clumps of this material are now splashing against the back of the shock front in an irregular pattern (due to initial variations in mass distribution around the bomb core), creating the curious mottled appearance.

The photograph was shot by a Rapatronic camera built by EG&G. Since each camera could record only one exposure on a sheet of film, banks of four to 10 cameras were set up to take sequences of photographs. The average exposure time was three millionths of a second. The cameras were last used at the Test Site in 1962."
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:16:29 AM EDT
[#30]
A couple more good ones of the Trinity shot here:

www.nevadasurveyor.com/atomicbomb/
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:30:09 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is from the Trinity test shot, the guide wires have already been consumed.  

Consumed? After only .016 seconds?

A millisecond is an eternity when your talking about a nuclear reaction.  Plus look at the photo again and look at the scale, you will notice that the fireball is at that time over 200 meters in size.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:04:33 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Think thats cool? Find some pics of the castle bravo shot :-D

ETA:  You can find more info here Nuclear Weapons Archive

Want Castle Bravo, well here you go and breakout the sunblock.

The Shrimp device; which became the basis for the Mk21 bomb and later converted to the Mk36 bomb.

Fireballs

The Bravo crater in the atoll reef had a diameter of 6510 ft, with a depth of 250 ft.

This is a fallout map of the Bravo shot if it where detonated over Washington DC,  numbers you see are the  radiation dose in roentgens (R) for the first 96 hours after the test.

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:13:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Very cool!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:05:20 PM EDT
[#34]
I haven't seen that many mushroom clouds since the first episode of Battlestar Galactica!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top