Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 15
Posted: 8/5/2020 3:37:27 PM EDT
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-08-05/u-s-weapons-maker-seeks-ban-on-chinese-competitor-s-sights?srnd=politics-vp

U.S. Weapons Maker Seeks Ban on Chinese Competitor’s Sights

A Michigan weapons maker is seeking to halt imports of what it says are cheap Chinese knockoffs of its battery-powered pistol sights.

Trijicon Inc. filed a patent complaint with the U.S. International Trade Commission on July 29, saying that Holosun Technologies Inc., of Los Angeles County, is working with a manufacturer in China to sell “red dot” sights that replicate features on which Trijicon has held a patent since 2013.

While the Trump administration has made intellectual property protection a key plank of its policy towards China, patent cases such as Trijicon’s are subject to detailed legal procedures. Ben Langlotz, a gun patent attorney with Langlotz Patent & Trademark Works LLC not working on the case, said there are multiple patents on red-dot sights, spanning a variety of characteristics.

Trijicon claims its sights have housing with increased durability and easier use. The technology is used in Trijicon’s Specialized Reflex Optic, which has a recommended retail price of $749. The most expensive Holosun sight referenced in the complaint goes for about $471, its website shows.

Trijicon, whose biggest source of revenue last year was from federal law enforcement agencies, said in its complaint said that its sights are used by hunters in competitions and for target shooting. The market for guns and related products has boomed amid rising social unrest in the U.S. this year.

Trijicon also filed a mirror suit in federal court in California, but that’s likely to be on hold until the ITC case is done. Agency investigations typically take 15-18 months, while a typical patent case in district court lasts two to five years.

Trijicon declined to comment, as did a representative from Holosun.

The ITC case is In the Matter of Certain Red Dot Sights and Components Thereof, 337-3477, U.S. International Trade Commission (Washington). The district court case is Trijicon Inc. vs. Holosun Technologies Inc., 20-6742, U.S. District Court for the Central District of California (Los Angeles)
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 3:42:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice to see a 2A giant like Trijicon go after a smaller company like Holosun. Not.

I don't think people who can afford trigi's will go for holosun. EDIT: or trijicon make some cheaper shit if you want that market.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 3:45:09 PM EDT
[#2]
In I guess.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 3:45:16 PM EDT
[#3]
This will help all those guys waiting for their Holosun 508t v2s.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 3:45:29 PM EDT
[#4]
FPDNNI
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 3:45:32 PM EDT
[#5]
There is  very little resemblance between Trijicon and Holosun sights othe than footprint. Also, Holosun is beating Trijicon on innovations and features. Trijicon sounds like sour grapes.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 3:48:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Is Trijicon regretting having some of their products manufactured in China now?  Who didn't see this coming?
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 3:50:04 PM EDT
[#7]
IMO it's telling that they didn't elaborate on what was the patent infringement.

Sour grapes, because no one wants to pay twice as much for less features.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 3:50:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I’m ok with it.  Fuck China.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 3:52:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 3:52:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Trijicon cant beat their price point or innovation.
Force them out of buisness
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 3:52:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is  very little resemblance between Trijicon and Holosun sights othe than footprint. Also, Holosun is beating Trijicon on innovations and features. Trijicon sounds like sour grapes.
View Quote

Yeah, the Chinese worked out the technology all on their own and Trijicon is just mad they're making it cheaper, not like they're known for stealing tech or anything.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 3:53:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Nice to see a 2A giant like Trijicon go after a smaller company like Holosun. Not.

I don't think people who can afford trigi's will go for holosun. EDIT: or trijicon make some cheaper shit if you want that market.
View Quote

Nice to see an American support IP theft by the fucking Chinese.  Not.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 3:53:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I’m so torn. Fuck China, and I LOVE Trijicon as a company. I have more trijicon optics than other makes combined, and I’ve got a lot of optics. Still, Holosun is doing some really neat stuff in the pistol RDS market. I wish Trijicon were making a 507K competitor, for example, but they don’t. I REALLY want the batteryless RDS Holosun prototyped too. That’s some futuristic Star Trek shit.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 3:54:17 PM EDT
[#14]
That Holosun in has lots of features. Seems more feature rich than trijicon. What features are the suing over?
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 3:54:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Looks like charging $500-$800 for basic, featureless red dots isn’t working out for them anymore.

Link Posted: 8/5/2020 3:55:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Trijicon is too expensive

Perhaps Trijicon could try to manufacture some optics for the lower budget minded people?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 3:56:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Trijicon is the HK of the optics business.

They do not care about you civilian consumer types .... We are not their primary market and never will be.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 3:57:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 3:57:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Easy there cowboy. Didn't necessarily say I like Holosun (I am an eotech fan) but competition is good for the market. Might push Trijicon to move forward a bit. Lets be honest, that new MRO for $800+ is ridiculous. Edit: I see it is 630 on optics planet. Still high. I think eotech and aimpoint are high as well, but we do pay for durability.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 3:57:45 PM EDT
[#20]
A company that can't build a red-dot without magnification or durable (not counting was accused by Meprolight for stealing their reflex design 25 years ago)

or

A company that's known to building milspec red-dot sights.......................................for the Chinese paramilitary...

......I'll have a coke, bud....
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 3:58:26 PM EDT
[#21]
In

I have a Holosun, but would have chosen a trij had it not been for the price tag.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 3:58:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Fuck China
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 3:59:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Trijicon is too expensive, probably for a few reasons, for many. Many people don't want to pay that kind of money so they go for an alternative source.

Perhaps Trijicon could try to manufacture some optics for the lower budget minded people?
View Quote

Same with 3M/Peltor Comtacs.

Two choices (if you don't want to risk eBay/ used market)  Spend almost a grand on a comms headset or spend ~150 on a comms headset.

I know if there was a commercial version of the Comtac that went for 350-400 (with EVERYTHING, not just the headset and then another 400 in parts to make it work), I would buy that.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 3:59:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Trijicon is too expensive, probably for a few reasons, for many. Many people don't want to pay that kind of money so they go for an alternative source.

View Quote

Or just buy the Fakog factory and start marketing them as legit Trijicon optics.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:00:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Buy Chinese shit then.

I’ll keep buying Trijicon and Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:00:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I’m ok with it.  Fuck China.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:00:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Arfcom: F China for stealing American intellectual property!

Also Arfcom: but Muh cheap Red Dot!
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:01:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
That Holosun in has lots of features. Seems more feature rich than trijicon. What features are the suing over?
View Quote
Size?  Application?
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:01:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Trijicon cant beat their price point or innovation.
Force them out of buisness
View Quote

Trijicon does not violate other's patents, then illegally manufacture other's intellectual property with lower quality in China.

Get it now?

Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:01:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Fuck China
View Quote

This!
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:01:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Uh, WTF?
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:02:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
IMO it's telling that they didn't elaborate on what was the patent infringement.

Sour grapes, because no one wants to pay twice as much for less features.
View Quote

Trijicon's complaint filed in federal court is very specific about the infringement. Don't blame Trijicon because the Bloomberg reporter didn't or can't summarize it. As best as I can summarize, Trijicon holds a patent on mini/reflex red dots constructed a certain way with certain features. Holosun copied Trijicon's patented design. You could certainly have a broader discussion about recent trends in patent law and the USPTO's willingness to issue patents, but I don't see how Trijicon can be faulted for correctly using U.S. intellectual property protections.

I'm surprised at the number of people here on the "If the Chicoms can rip it off and make it cheaper, screw the people that made it first and patented it if it saves me a few bucks" bandwagon. And we sit around wondering what happened to U.S. manufacturing. Apparently, the American people themselves sold it to the low bidder.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:02:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
In

I have a Holosun, but would have chosen a trij had it not been for the price tag.
View Quote
Opposite for me.  I've got 2 508T V2s on order, but would gladly pay more for a Trijicon if they made anything with comparable features.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:03:05 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm kinda surprised with all the "China is a**hole" and "F**k China" sentiment on this board that so many people in this thread are running to defend Holosun.

So patent infringement is OK if the original product is "too expensive?"

I'd like to see what the courts say.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:03:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Arfcom: F China for stealing American intellectual property!

Also Arfcom: but Muh cheap Red Dot!
View Quote

What do expect? If you wanted to start manufacturing a cheap red dot here in the US, you would get ran out by the top dogs. EoT,AP and triji. Not to mention we can make anything cheap here. Thanks unions.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:03:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Fuck the Chicoms, if they are stealing patented things they are thieves and need to be treated as such
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:04:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Easy there cowboy. Didn't necessarily say I like Holosun (I am an eotech fan) but competition is good for the market. Might push Trijicon to move forward a bit. Lets be honest, that new MRO for $800+ is ridiculous. Edit: I see it is 630 on optics planet. Still high. I think eotech and aimpoint are high as well, but we do pay for durability.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IP theft ? Competition
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:06:26 PM EDT
[#38]
ARFCOM: Fuck China, IP theft, COVID, etc, etc.

ALSO ARFCOM:  Im to cheap to buy American so fuck Trijicon for suing a company who makes cheaper knock offs.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:06:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Uh, WTF?
View Quote

I will say it one last time. I am not supporting commie china. It is more for market competition. I didnt even know about the 508t until this thread.
Lets be honest again, half the 'supposed gun guys in GD' buy shit because it is used by the .mil. It would be nice to see the top 3 move forward a bit. Eotech I am looking at you with battery life.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:07:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Trijicon does not violate other's patents, then illegally manufacture other's intellectual property with lower quality in China.

Get it now?

View Quote

Seems doubtful Holosun has used Trijicon "proprietary" technology. And I don't think you can patent a "pistol mounted sight" as a protected technology.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:08:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Seems doubtful Holosun has used Trijicon "proprietary" technology. And I don't think you can patent a "pistol mounted sight" as a protected technology.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get it now?

otherwise they'd be using sig, aimpoint, leupold...etc.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:08:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Know wonder I can't find a 512C anywhere.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:09:28 PM EDT
[#43]
I'd like to know what IP Holosun, a relative newcomer to the MRDS market has supposedly stolen from Trijicon.  Burris, Insight, Docter, Fowler, CMORE, Leupold, and probably others all had MRDS offerings that existed prior to Holosun even incorporating in 2015.  Did they steal Trijicon's IP?  

The Holosuns use an RMR footprint is the only real similarity between them.  

By all means if Trijicon feels Holosun did steal IP, sue them.  That's what the court is for.  I just have a hard time believing that's actually the case in this instance.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:11:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Fuck the Chicoms, if they are stealing patented things they are thieves and need to be treated as such
View Quote

Actually it is part and parcel of Asian culture in general.  No fucks are given for IP on the continent, it's not just China .
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:12:18 PM EDT
[#48]
GD: fuck china!

also GD: hold my beer while I buy every chinese product in sight

china is gay, fuck china.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:12:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Know wonder I can't find a 512C anywhere.
View Quote

Damn, they've even got a 512 optic now?

Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:12:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get it now?

Yeah I guess this is where I’m at. If they’re legitimately using their patented R&D fuck that. If it’s some sour grapes thing, then fuck that. I really like Trijicon so I want to give them the benefit of the doubt here, but until I know that I don’t feel good casting onto either side of this.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top