Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2002 7:55:05 PM EDT
Is it illegal to attach a bayonet to a post-ban rifle if you use DUCT TAPE or BALING WIRE?

The law only states bayonet lug, not bayonet.

Technically, by law as opposed to ATF reasoning, you could permanently mount a bayonet to damn-near anything..no?

Link Posted: 11/21/2002 8:36:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe, by law, a 'bayonet lug' is any device used to permit the mounting of a bayonet to a weapon...
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 9:07:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll take this just a step further towards insane... What about a bayonet mount on the buttstock... Lethal butt stroking..

Isn't the wording in regards to mounting to the barrel?
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 9:49:42 PM EDT
[#3]
How about a big switch blade mounted in the buttstock...Now THAT might be illegal!
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 4:18:34 AM EDT
[#4]
How about just sharpen the end of the barrell... ha ha ha
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 6:55:00 AM EDT
[#5]
[:D]
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 7:07:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
How about just sharpen the end of the barrell... ha ha ha
View Quote

That's actually interesting...You could call it a barrel-o-net...It would basically be a huge hypodermic needle...damn.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 7:54:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Ive got a good idea... someone needs to invent the extendable stock instead of a colapsable... I guess you could find out what the shortest legal length of a stock can be. (such as the short entry stocks) then make it so it will be extendable....

Then sharpen the barrel so you have a nice hypodermic 5.56mm guage needle...

present that to the ATF for ruling and then stand back and listen to what creative new assumption about the law they will come up with...

ha ha ha.....  just wish i had the time.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 8:56:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I believe, by law, a 'bayonet lug' is any device used to permit the mounting of a bayonet to a weapon...
View Quote

The statutory definition of "assualt weapon" doesn't use the term "bayonet lug," it uses "bayonet mount."  See 18 U.S.C. sec. 921 a.30.B.111.  "Bayonet mount" is not defined in the statute, the US Cide, the Code of Federal Regulations, the Federal Register, or the case law.

If you want to affix a bayonet with duct tape and say there's no mount, good luck.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top