Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2023 10:37:32 PM EDT
Are Traxxas 4x4 rc trucks worth the money?  I started looking at 4x4 rock crawlers and decided to look at something faster.  
Brushless motors over Brushed motors?
I bought a cheap rc tank last year and and the Grandkids broke it after 2 hrs.   I have been thinking about one ever since.
There is a hobby store near here that is a traxxas dealer near here and has all sorts of parts fro broken traxxas rc stuff.
Link Posted: 7/12/2023 11:45:15 AM EDT
[#1]
+1 on this. We were in a hobby shop a couple of weeks ago, my son expressed interest in some remote control cars. I saw some $200 options, but anything above that is just beyond what I'm willing to spend on a 14 year old's toy.

Link Posted: 7/12/2023 12:03:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Traxxas or Arrma is the way to go.  Think of it like ford vs Chevy .  Lots of parts for them.  I would go 3s brushless.  Don’t upgrade anything until it brakes.
Link Posted: 7/12/2023 6:06:41 PM EDT
[#3]
In my opinion traxxas models are great for durability, speed, and maintenance with plenty of replacement and hop up parts.  I love aarma too, but they just aren’t as easy to work on as traxxas. Check out the traxxas rustler 4x4. As far as price, anything under $350 is not going to have many of the attributes I just mentioned.
Also, working on them is half the fun, esp w a kid since they are just like little cars as far as drivetrain and steering.
Link Posted: 7/12/2023 10:20:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I usually get a new gun for my birthday.  I haven't this year.   Looks like a Traxxas 4x4 with a charger and 2 batteries is cheaper that a gun.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 1:23:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Traxxas stuff is durable and very user friendly.  They keep their platforms around forever and share a lot of parts amongst them so parts and upgrades are plentiful.  ARRMA is very durable and I'd say higher quality but parts support is not as good.  I'd stick to those two brands unless you're wanting to really dive in.  Tekno gives you the best of performance and durability but it will cost you.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 10:52:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Next Question.
While looking for prime stuff and not finding anything I stumbled across fire proof bags to charge and store your batteries in.
I know batteries do catch on fire, but is this really a thing for RC batteries?
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 5:22:18 PM EDT
[#7]
A Slash 4x4 vxl followed me home from the hobby store today.  
Now I just have to find time to play with it.
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 9:32:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Next Question.
While looking for prime stuff and not finding anything I stumbled across fire proof bags to charge and store your batteries in.
I know batteries do catch on fire, but is this really a thing for RC batteries?
View Quote

Yes and no... It's not a terrible idea to charge and store them in a bag. Chances they will ignite using a proper charger and protocol are slim but if they do is is quite catastrophic.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 5:21:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Use a bag for just in case. Also, it’s all over now for you. The addiction will kick in very soon….
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 6:25:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Use a bag for just in case. Also, it’s all over now for you. The addiction will kick in very soon….
View Quote

Yup you are screwed they multiply like guns
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 11:28:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I already started looking a different tires and wheels.
Does anyone use the Traxxas link app?
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 7:43:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I downloaded the app for most of my models but have never used it. Even bought all the little things that screw into the controllers.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 10:09:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I already started looking a different tires and wheels.
Does anyone use the Traxxas link app?
View Quote

I used it on a TRX4.  It makes tweaking things on your radio significantly easier.  Otherwise you have to follow this huge flow chart of flashing LEDs and its rather annoying.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 9:02:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I use the link module with my TRX4M and Rustler 4x4 VXL.  Beats the hell out of using two different controllers.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 10:56:30 PM EDT
[#15]
I have downloaded the app and installed the link on the controller yesterday.    Now I just have to find time to run the slash.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 1:57:21 PM EDT
[#16]
While that is a pretty good deal for what it is, IME the brushed MEGA motors don't last with regular use.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 10:15:40 PM EDT
[#17]
I finally had time to get the slash out.  I took it camping with me because the campground had a rc dirt track.   I need to bring a tank of compress air to blow the dirt and grass out from  under the body.  
I was really surprised how much abused the rc can take.  The body is now scratched up and does not look new any more.  Coming off of one ramp I got about 4ft of air and landed and kept the slash on all 4 wheels.   I hit a speed bump on the way back to the camp site and the rc did not land on on fours  but on the ass end and then the top.

I had fun
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 10:21:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I usually get a new gun for my birthday.  I haven't this year.   Looks like a Traxxas 4x4 with a charger and 2 batteries is cheaper that a gun.
View Quote

RC is alot of things, but it is NOT cheaper than guns - unless you are buying yeet cannons.

Traxxas has alot of support, and you can spend thousands of dollars on shiny bits if your guns are safe queens, or almost as much if you run around and bash it.  BUY QUALITY TOOLS, trust me on this.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 10:56:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Tools I have.
I brought this tank along to play with at our camp site.   The wife thought it looked like fun and wants to drive it in our yard.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 3:38:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Tools I have.
View Quote

Tools you may have, but quality hobby tools are what he's talking about.  Get a quality set of metric hex drivers (MIP, Vanquish, or HUDY).  Your normal tool set allen keys (even high end ones) will have some slop and easily strip screw heads, especially if you end up using stainless steel screws.

ETA: A 2mm ball end MIP driver will save you some time and frustration.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 10:30:15 PM EDT
[#21]
The first thing I did was pick up the traxxas tool kit.  
Top Top