Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2003 11:17:44 AM EDT
A buddy of mine is flying to see his sister for Christmas, leaving next week.  After some discussion he decided to not ship his normal carry handgun to her address (in V.A.) as his KY concealed carry isn't recognized there.

With the threat level raised today, he called me to consult if he should try to check a weapon on his flight.  He's having second thoughts about being away from home without a PDW.  Unfortunately, his sister's an anti, so he can't just borrow one while there.

He's flying U.S. Air, if that makes a difference.  I told him I'd see what you guys think and let him know.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 12/21/2003 11:30:28 AM EDT
[#1]
So long as the ultimate destination is not DC you should be OK.

Reagan National Airport is  actually in VA so he should be OK.

He can open carry to be legal....
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 11:46:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

A buddy of mine is flying to see his sister for Christmas, leaving next week.  
View Quote

Uh, I think he's going to be a little late.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 11:48:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Ok, so he's leaving Tuesday, sorry, I lost track of days.  Guess he's leaving this week.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 12:50:01 PM EDT
[#4]
DC is one of the worst places for gun laws. If he is going to stay or vist DC with a pistol he wil be breaking the law.

Dont get me wrong DC is a good place to be armed, but the laws suck for legal carry
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 1:05:28 PM EDT
[#5]
U-bad,

I realize that about D.C. but he said they have no plans to go to D.C. that he knows of, and as Shivan said, Regan is in VA.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 1:09:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
DC is one of the worst places for gun laws. If he is going to stay or vist DC with a pistol he wil be breaking the law.

Dont get me wrong DC is a good place to be armed, but the laws suck for legal carry
View Quote

Agree 110% Was there a few weeks ago and used to be there a few times a month, damn near a second home.

If he is in VA and not DC he will be ok. The airlines have their own regs IAW FAA regarding firearms transportation and they actually have no regard for local laws, thats your problem. I cant see any Firearms section in the USAIR website, like most carriers have. Trust me the ticket counter people will NOT know the laws, they only guess. Anti!

The way I always do it is to put it in a locked box inside baggage, but kinda easy to get to. Go
to the ticket counter and say, "I need to fill out a firearms declaration". They hand you the form to sign, stick it [b]inside[/b] the bag and poof. I never have a problem.

Ammo must be stored seperate [b]in the original manufacturers container[/b].

DC is a place that will make a man have to make serious decisions about being a law obiding citizen or being [s]an unarmed victim[/s] stupid.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 8:12:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Assuming he’s landing at either Regan National or Dulles, he really shouldn’t have a problem getting it there.  I’m not entirely certain he could have legally shipped it to his sister, anyway.

He won’t be able to carry it concealed in Virginia, but at least he’ll have available if the balloon goes up!!

He [b]absolutely[/b] doesn’t want to make a wrong turn and find himself in DC with it!!
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 12:45:47 AM EDT
[#8]
John would have shipped to himself at his sister's address, which appears to be legal, but apparently all the carriers have policies now to prevent this.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 2:06:32 AM EDT
[#9]
About a year ago I really messed up but didn't know it and neither did the counter people.
I had 2 1911's and 2 M1's in a locked case.  (4 guns is a no no)  Sitting right next to them was loaded magazines and clips with live ammo. Another no no.  The counter people had to spend several minutes looking for the regs and the tags.  They had me pick them up and show the were unloaded.  Although they had no idea what to look for, I had to show them.  One of the security guards came over looked and said "Nice Shotguns."  Other than that no problems and no one freaked.  Of course this was in Dallas.  Coming back from Houston an anti bitch at the counter made me miss my plane on purpose by stalling.  I complained and the other lady that took care of me was very nice and the Airlines bought my dinner.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 3:49:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
U-bad,

I realize that about D.C. but he said they have no plans to go to D.C. that he knows of, and as Shivan said, Regan is in VA.
View Quote

I was just going by the title of the thread.

[b]Traveling by air to D.C. with firearms [/b]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top