Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2003 8:58:47 AM EDT
I`ve been wondering about this for a while.  
1.If two guys walk into a gunstore to trade firearms, Person #1 passes the NICS, but Person #2 fails, what happens to the firearms? Will Person #1 still get his firearm form Person #2? And what will happen to the firearm that was suppossed to go to Person #2? Thanks

And NO this didn`t happen to me or anyone that I know!
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 4:01:17 AM EDT
[#1]
The transactions could be voided.  Just because NICS passed, does not mean the dealer HAS to transfer the firearms.  If he has reason to believe that an illegal act would occur, he is required to NOT finish the transfer by passing on the firearm.

It really is up to the 2 guys.

#1 ends up with 2 guns... but no doubt #2 wants some money or maybe to not allow the transaction to complete.

mark
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 6:50:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks budam. Now for two curve balls.
1.What would happen if both failed?
2.This is a diffent question. If a guy trades in a firearm to offset cost of a new firearm but fails the NICS, is he allowed to keep his gun that he was going to trade in? Thanks
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 3:48:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Thanks budam. Now for two curve balls.
1.What would happen if both failed?
2.This is a diffent question. If a guy trades in a firearm to offset cost of a new firearm but fails the NICS, is he allowed to keep his gun that he was going to trade in? Thanks
View Quote

In both cases...

If the guns have not have ownership transferred to another party, then the original owner keeps it...
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 9:36:06 PM EDT
[#4]
If two guys walk into a gun shop to swap guns then they would be on planet pluto. I doubt that would ever happen here.

If a NICs on a purchase fails the dealer is supposed to contact the ATF and review the 4473 to see if the purchaser has commited another crime by lying on the form.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 11:53:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If a NICs on a purchase fails the dealer is supposed to contact the ATF and review the 4473 to see if the purchaser has commited another crime by lying on the form.
View Quote

Give me a pointer, if you would please.

I remember giving them inforamtion about who to contact if denied along with their NTN, but nothing about calling BATF to review 4473...

Always willing to learn, though...
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 12:10:07 PM EDT
[#6]
If 2 guys are trading guns, why in the hell would they do it in a gunstore?

Maybe they feel guilty about excercising their constitutional rights and both want to give away some money for transfer fees that they don't need.

Steve
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 1:18:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Maybe they feel guilty about excercising their constitutional rights and both want to give away some money for transfer fees that they don't need.

Steve
View Quote

PA requires that private transaction(s) of handguns be conducted by an FFL or at the Sheriff's office unless you meet one of the exemptions (spouse, child, LEO etc.)

Link Posted: 12/25/2003 6:58:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Steve
View Quote

PA requires that private transaction(s) of handguns be conducted by an FFL or at the Sheriff's office unless you meet one of the exemptions (spouse, child, LEO etc.)

View Quote

Thanks for clearing that up.
That sucks.

Steve
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 8:44:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes I spoke improperly. The situation I was thinking of is when the transfering dealer had knowledge of or found out that the potential buyer was a felon or had lied on the form. In that situation the knowledge of the diaqualifie felon trying to buy a firearm should be reported to the ATF.

Because the NICS found the buyer to be a felon and that he admited it to the dealer this would not be good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top