Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2006 3:48:31 PM EDT
I want one of the $700 dollar cheapo trailers to pull my 1100 pound mower between my houses.

Will a ball hitch that goes on the bumper work or do I need a real trailer hitch installed?

Thanks for the help.

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:50:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Didn't you have a little ol truck?  Will it tow 1100#?

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:51:25 PM EDT
[#2]
On a truck or van? If so, then the bumper mounted ball will be fine.

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:56:00 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Dodge dakota v6

It's my beatemup truck.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:57:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Look in the owners manual.  Usually it will tell you.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:57:59 PM EDT
[#5]
That would be more than fine.   I have a friend that still pulls his 3,000lb boat with the ball in the bumper of his Ford Ranger.

Also, don't buy a harness kit, you can splice it yourself in 10 minutes.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 4:05:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
That would be more than fine.   I have a friend that still pulls his 3,000lb boat with the ball in the bumper of his Ford Ranger.

Well, that's only if you know which wires you need.  I needed a CSM to do mine, though, I'd assume they make it easier on trucks than they do on cars.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 4:07:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dodge dakota v6

It's my beatemup truck.

Put a ball in on her and go
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 4:07:27 PM EDT
[#8]
The key thing to look out for is the max tongue weight rating for a bumper mount. IIRC rated tongue weight on a bumper is usually around 150-200 lbs for a small/midsize truck.

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 4:13:07 PM EDT
[#9]
SPEND THE MONEY FOR A TOWING PACKAGE.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 4:19:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, that's only if you know which wires you need.  I needed a CSM to do mine, though, I'd assume they make it easier on trucks than they do on cars.

A simple multimeter is all he'll need.  He really only needs brakes.  Directionals are option since he's only driving between his houses.  Parking lights for night can either be tapped into the back lights or taken from any 12V source.  I don't think he'll have any problem.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top