Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/3/2004 3:10:52 PM EDT
The Toys -R- Us in Lexington, KY just put up signs at the entrance, "No firearms allowed on premises".  I questioned the manager about it, and she said, "They were told to.".  I told her that I would be posting this info to the 'Net, and they would be losing sales.  She was polite, but one of the sales girls yelled, "It's a TOY store, why do you need a gun?".  I asked her if that was her choice to decide for me, but the manager looked at her, and she shut up.

Anybody know if this is corporate policy?

Michael
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:12:45 PM EDT
[#1]
cary anyway.

whos going to know.

you can always say you didnt see the sign
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:13:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Walk in there with a cowboy belt and plastic cowboy revolvers. I dare you.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:15:58 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
cary anyway.

whos going to know.

Not a good idea.

I hate it when we give advice like this to each other. Who are you looking out for anyway?

Complain in writing, write their corporate offices, don't shop their... but don't break the law.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:20:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I remember when I was a kid, Sears, Montgomery Wards, and Toys-B-uses, all had Ilses that had metal hampers packed with toy guns. They were awesome. Now, try to find just one decent cap gun there.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:24:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
cary anyway.

whos going to know.

Not a good idea.

I hate it when we give advice like this to each other. Who are you looking out for anyway?

Complain in writing, write their corporate offices, don't shop their... but don't break the law.

i am the master at bad advice.

however in this situation, i feel that carrying is a very important right that we all should look out for.

keep that attitude and before you know it, we will have concealed carry laws in all 50 states but every store will have a NO carry sign on thie door.

sounds like a shit deal.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:29:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
cary anyway.

whos going to know.

Not a good idea.

nothing wrong with that advice, most they can do IF they find out is ask you to leave.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:33:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I could see NY or Kali , but Kentucky. WTF
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:33:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
cary anyway.

whos going to know.

Not a good idea.

i am the master at bad advice.

however in this situation, i feel that carrying is a very important right that we all should look out for.

keep that attitude and before you know it, we will have concealed carry laws in all 50 states but every store will have a NO carry sign on thie door.

sounds like a shit deal.

I agree that carrying is a very important right and we, as gun owners, need to excercize that right. However, I don't think you should patronize a business that forbids carrying on their premise.

Make a point to write some letters. Hey - you can even make it a point to get a few other gun owners together and picket outside while carrying. Maybe you can make a point that way.

What I don't want to see are gun owners finding themselves in hot water because that had to have the latest "Strip Tease Barbie" from Toys-R-Us and decided to carry when they posted a no firearms sign.

Be smart about it and fight with your economic power.  You won't do gun owners any favors by getting arrested while carrying on Toys-R-Us property.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:36:15 PM EDT
[#9]
mrstang01: Tell the mgr of the Toy-r-Us, you're going to take your business and that of your friend's to Wall-Mart, that should get her attention. Toys-R-Us has been losing market share to Wall-Mart for a few years now and they're trying to crawl out of their hole. Hit'em where it hurts, in the bank account.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:36:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Our local mall just posted no CCW signs. I was meeting a friend from another firm for lunch there when I saw the new signs, and I went back out to my car and grabbed my .38 just because.

In Michigan 'No CCW' signs don't mean shit legally.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:38:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Shoot man, I can't carry ANYWHERE in California. I wish my only problems were toy stores not allowing concealed carry.

Having said that, screw 'em. Purchase your toys elsewhere, and write them a letter indicating as much.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:39:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Im confused.  Were you planning on taking a weapon into the Toys R Us?  I mean.. I completely realize that little purple dinosaurs and peekachoo's are terrifying but.. do you really need a weapon in toys r us...?

Edit: maybe Im just not understanding the event completely.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:41:31 PM EDT
[#13]
picketing for gun ownership\carrying in front of a toy store will do absolutely no good.

the whole idea behind picketing is that people walking into the establishment will see your point of veiw and the possibility of striking a nerve in them.

now, what demographic are most likely to visit the store? women..with kids or expecting ,aging from maternal to 14?

not the best group of people to expect to jump on board gun ownership rights activism.

i understand you would like to keep things lawfull. and that great. good model to be.

but most people arent heard until the shit has been stirred.
thats just the way it is.

no one lifts a finger anymore unless they are directly threatend by someone elses actions.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:42:20 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Lexington Kentucky can almost be described as a mini San Francisco.  Seriously it's just about that far liberal, left, and gay.

Plus the State has a pre-emption law on gun laws, no other government below the state can make their own gun laws.  That hasn't stopped Lexington from charging gun dealers an additional fee to setup shop in Lexington.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:43:14 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Im confused.  Were you planning on taking a weapon into the Toys R Us?  I mean.. I completely realize that little purple dinosaurs and peekachoo's are terrifying but.. do you really need a weapon in toys r us...?

Wow...

I carry as often as I can. I guess I just didn't get issued that crystal ball that some people did when I was born. I try to be prepared whenever I can - don't you?

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:45:50 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Its about being able to protect yourself anywhere and everywhere, obviously ToysR Us is anti 2nd amendment. I ignore the signs, if your carrying concealed properly, who will know?
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:46:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

same logic goes into carrying in schools.

who would need to carry a firearm in a school? full of children?..

wouldnt you have liked to have heard that a teacher carried a 45 at columbine and put an end to the sick bastards that went on a rampage? killing many other students?

a threat can happen anywhere.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:47:39 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Well, if a bad guy comes in there and creates a hostage situation, then I guess he would need a weapon now wouldn't he?

Folks don't understand that when businesses disarm lawful citizens, that business is an ideal target for criminals.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:47:54 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow...

I carry as often as I can. I guess I just didn't get issued that crystal ball that some people did when I was born. I try to be prepared whenever I can - don't you?

I dont know.. i dont have a permit to carry.. and im not sure if I could get one.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:53:16 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow...

I dont know.. i dont have a permit to carry.. and im not sure if I could get one.

being in iowa you have some restrictions, but are much better off than i am in IL.

read up on it and get one if possible.

it will help you se the other side of the argument
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:56:09 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow...

being in iowa you have some restrictions, but are much better off than i am in IL.

read up on it and get one if possible.

it will help you se the other side of the argument

Well.. im not really on any side of this "argument" I'm more in the "asking questions" stage.  Anyway, from what I have just read it sounds like it would be a pain in the ass for me to get a permit:  This site> www.lcav.org/states/iowa.asp#carryingconcealedweapons yeah.. its an "anti gun" site but it pretty much tells me that i have to have a good reason to carry in iowa.... i think.  I will read more into it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:02:22 PM EDT
[#22]
looks like all you need is a prerequiste firearms safety class and your set.

when they ask you why you need it...well thre is a flood of answers...

i feel it is my constitutional right.
i feel the need to protect my family
i feel the need to protect myself.
im afraid triumph955i will kick my ass..
i have no criminal record and see no reason why i should not have a CCW.
lawfull citizen and yo haven no reason to refuse my application.

the list goes on.

go for it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:02:41 PM EDT
[#23]
IIRC...

I saw a report on CNBC about a month ago that Wal-Mart had hurt them so badly, they were thinking about closing down - except for baby division. I also seem to recall, that because they purchased many of their stores when real estate was cheaper and positioned them close to malls - they would make a killing just selling their property holdings.

So... why kick a dead horse. In two years it will be Home Depot or Lowes anyhow  

Link
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:04:55 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Well.. im not really on any side of this "argument" I'm more in the "asking questions" stage.  Anyway, from what I have just read it sounds like it would be a pain in the ass for me to get a permit:  This site> www.lcav.org/states/iowa.asp#carryingconcealedweapons yeah.. its an "anti gun" site but it pretty much tells me that i have to have a good reason to carry in iowa.... i think.  I will read more into it.

Please don't let the "pain in the ass" factor deter you. "They" want you to be discouraged from getting a CCW. Don't let 'em win.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:06:55 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lexington Kentucky can almost be described as a mini San Francisco.  Seriously it's just about that far liberal, left, and gay.

Plus the State has a pre-emption law on gun laws, no other government below the state can make their own gun laws.  That hasn't stopped Lexington from charging gun dealers an additional fee to setup shop in Lexington.

So true.  If I didn't like my job so much here in Lexington, I would move to the Lousiville area.  
Lexington is run by the libs, just look at the messed up sh*t our dumbf**k woman mayor is doing to us with this stupid water co take over.  ANd then listen to how they justify it.  The stupidity is frightening.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:07:25 PM EDT
[#26]
I'll check here in VA and let you know.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:09:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Shop on the internet.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:38:25 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Because gangbangers and dopers shop at the same stores you do, including We Be Toys.  Likewise do mentals and other potential threats frequent stores that the sheeple consider to be 'safe zones'.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:40:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Why were you at Toys - R- Us anyway?
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:57:39 PM EDT
[#30]
mrphelps, you obviously haven't been around here long, that sounds like almost exactly the words the mouthy clerk asked me.  If you sheep don't choose to carry, and wish to bleat for the po-po when the wolves come to your door, fine, do so, but don't come bitch to me and my fellow sheep-dogs on ARFCom when your ass gets torn up.

I carry every day because I choose to, I take responsibility for my life and my actions.  

I know Toys-R-Us is going down the tubes, and if this is a Corporate policy, I'll help pull the plug, but if it's a local thing, we can get it changed, KC3 has succeeded in KY before, and it's worked in other places too.

Michael
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:29:37 PM EDT
[#31]
I decide if I carry, not Toys R Us. I will not give up my 2nd Amendment rights because of their stupid and unenforceable policy.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:45:36 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Incredibly stupid advice. When a premises is posted, you can be charged with criminal trespass and loose your permit.

Sometimes we are our own worst enemies.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:47:25 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
cary anyway.

whos going to know.

Not a good idea.

It's not a law.

Otherwise, I agree with you.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:50:39 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
cary anyway.

whos going to know.

Not a good idea.

It is not the fucking law it is store policy.  I say carry if you are otherwise doing so legally.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:54:51 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
cary anyway.

whos going to know.

Not a good idea.

+1
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:55:21 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Walk in there with a cowboy belt and plastic cowboy revolvers. I dare you.

+1000  
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:58:45 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

It is not a weapon, it is a tool, and I agree you are not seeing the event clearly.
If it is legal for him to carry concealed and he does so to protect his family and himself why should he stop when he enters a toy store?  I take personal defense seriously and always carry a handgun with me. Always.
Church check
7-11 check
Work check
Grocery store check
Park check
School field trip to the Reagan library with my daughters 5th grade class check

Why would you leave the best tool to defend your family, that can be easily carried and concealed behind when you might need it?
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:05:12 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Shoot man, I can't carry ANYWHERE in California.

That's complete and utter bullshit. Live in a county where permits are readily fulfilled, and you can. CA and more specifically, non-CA gun-owners opinions, are bad enough already without some subgenius grossly overstating the situation.

Saw one of yoru earlier posts, you're coming off as either a child or a
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:12:35 PM EDT
[#39]
if we go any farther with this "dont shop at Blah Blah they are ANTI's" we are no longer going to have places to shop
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:17:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Im going to agree with you fully on Lexington being liberal-city. The thing is, that and Louisville (to a lesser extent) are about the only places in the state like that. And they arent big enough to influence the rest of the state nearly as much as the big cities in somewhere like California. As somone that will get their CCL next summer when I turn 21, I'm not sure if I would disarm myself in a situation like that, or carry anyway. Guess I'll figure it out when I face that situation.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:32:25 PM EDT
[#41]
The idea of  concealed carry means nobody knows that your packing.
If your doing it right they will NEVER know

i say carry the thing where you wish, just be aware that there are pro's and con's for every decision you make.  Weigh them out and use your own best judgment.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:53:21 PM EDT
[#42]
except that in NY no one realizes we (at least those of us in counties with judges who don't restrict our permits) have CCW
only weapon signs I can remember seeing were at Gander Mountain. said all bows and guns had to be cased, then it said that doesn't apply to CCW

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:58:11 PM EDT
[#43]
for a non-anti view on the process
www.packing.org/state/index.jsp/iowa

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:00:21 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

If you were a terrorists you could make a hell of an impression on the american people by shooting up a toy store. That would be real terror. Allah would be happy if Johnny Jihad shot up an ass load of kids picking out toys for christmas.

So when Mohammed Abdula is drawing out his AK47 do you want to have a gun to protect your kids while they are looking a toys?

Or how about when the single mom who lost her kid decides to take out some children because if the state won't let her have hers then no one should be able to keep a kid. Would you lie your gun then?

Thats why you need a gun or Toys R US
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:04:05 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

I hope your kidding
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:16:28 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

When did purple dinosaurs come into the discussion? This is about is protecting yourself and your family from violent criminals. Violent criminals can be inside Toys R Us just as easily as they can be anywhere else - they certainly aren't concerned about purple dinosaurs.

Quoted:
Incredibly stupid advice. When a premises is posted, you can be charged with criminal trespass and loose your permit.

Sometimes we are our own worst enemies.

Depends on the state laws. Here in Florida, signs don't mean anything, and the worst they can do is ask you to leave. Only if you refuse to leave or leave and come back can you be charged with trespassing.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:27:11 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I remember when I was a kid, Sears, Montgomery Wards, and Toys-B-uses, all had Ilses that had metal hampers packed with toy guns. They were awesome. Now, try to find just one decent cap gun there.

Maybe you should send them to Nebula M78!
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:58:32 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
cary anyway.

whos going to know.

Not a good idea.

nothing wrong with that advice, most they can do IF they find out is ask you to leave.

In Ohio, that is bad, bad, bad.
As in felony bad.
Carrying where it is posted "No CCW" is a felony offense.

So while I agree with you in theory, I have a mortgage to pay, and President to vote for, and guns to keep.
I'd rather not support them with my $ anyway.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:01:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Shop elsewhere.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:49:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Cant' CCW anywhere here in NE. Open carry yes, but no sneaky defense..........
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top