[#3]
Magnets

Link Posted: 8/14/2012 7:43:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Suckers will pay it
Link Posted: 8/14/2012 7:46:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Because it says Toyota on it.

When  I was looking for a truck, I came across plenty of used F-150s, Rams, and Silverados for $4000 or so that were in pretty good shape. The cheapest Toyotas had well over 300,000 miles and were full of rust and various other problems––-for the low price of $6500 and going up from there.
Link Posted: 8/14/2012 7:47:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Yuppie Mama Wagon of Choice.............
Link Posted: 8/14/2012 8:00:46 PM EDT
[#7]
You think a Sequoia is expensive, look at the Land Cruiser.

I love my 4Runner though.
Link Posted: 8/14/2012 8:11:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Check out the infinity qx56.  It's not much more expensive. I was looking at sequoias until I saw the qx up close.
Link Posted: 8/14/2012 8:14:47 PM EDT
[#9]
because people think that it is a Japanese brand car it will make gold dust come out of the exhaust and last for 1,000,000,000 miles with nothing but an oil change.
Link Posted: 8/14/2012 8:16:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Because it says Toyota on it.

IIRC, there's also a mandatory TADSI ("Toyota Asshole Dealer Sales Incentive") fee tacked on to every vehicle.

You'd be surprised at how much money it takes to recruit and retain top-notch assholes for sales positions...
Link Posted: 8/14/2012 8:16:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Yep, landcruisers compete directly with Range Rovers.

But at the same time, Tahoes are quite expensive as well when comparing to sequoias.
Link Posted: 8/14/2012 8:18:26 PM EDT
[#12]
3 years old...........good as new.

save some money
Link Posted: 8/14/2012 8:26:51 PM EDT
[#13]
My dad has an 02 Sequoia Limited with close to 150k on it. The only work done to it so far has been pads/rotors and oil changes. It even has the original battery still It now is in need of a front suspension rebuild but still runs great. We've taken it on several trips down south or out west and the ride is so smooth and comfy. It kicks the shit out driving/riding in any of the big 3's offerings. Toyota builds quality shit.
Link Posted: 8/14/2012 8:36:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I originally wanted a Sequoia. Once I started shopping around, I figured out really quick that I could not afford it. I don't get it. I ended up with a Crewmax Tundra which is basically the same thing except it has a bed instead of a 3rd row seat and back roof/hatch. So, 15-20k more for that? - Now, I have decided that I probably really didn't need the Sequoia anyway.
Link Posted: 8/14/2012 8:40:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/14/2012 8:48:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Amen.
Link Posted: 8/14/2012 9:00:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Toyota Sequoia, why so expensive?

FIFY,

And I don't know. Fan boys I guess. Toyota makes a quality product but no better than a honda at 70-80% of the price.

Link Posted: 8/14/2012 9:03:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Took a 2010 in on trade over the weekend. It's the Platinum model and a very nice rig. Priced along the same lines as an LTZ Tahoe or SLT Yukon.

It won't sit on the lot very long.
Link Posted: 8/14/2012 9:04:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

FIFY,

And I don't know. Fan boys I guess. Toyota makes a quality product but no better than a honda at 70-80% of the price.

What is Honda's equivalent of a double cab Tacoma, or a Tundra?
Link Posted: 8/14/2012 9:06:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:

FIFY,

Does honda make a truck with a V8 engine?  I can't tow crap with a Honda.
Link Posted: 8/14/2012 9:10:15 PM EDT
[#21]

I love Chevys but the toyotas last longer, get better mpg, and retain their value better which means better resale. For a passenger vehicle I'd rather have a Toyota, for pulling I'd have a duramax. Which is what I have lol.

I wouldn't mind shelling out more money for a Toyota becaus I know it will keep its value.
Link Posted: 8/14/2012 9:11:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Suckers will pay it

^This^
Link Posted: 8/14/2012 9:15:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Even the older ones hold there value. Problem with buying them used is they are good quality and don't really break so people don't maintain them or just do the basics.  By the time your looking at buying it used you have to do all the fluids, timing belt etc. with other imports like BMW,Mercedes they are maintained better becaus stuff does breaks and people fix it the majority of the ones I have seen are better maintained because of this.
Link Posted: 8/14/2012 9:16:47 PM EDT
[#24]

Chevy/GMC dealers are accustomed to selling their products for well below sticker price.

Toyota dealers aren't.
Link Posted: 8/14/2012 9:18:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:

FIFY,

If it's fanboys, there are enough out there to make it worthwhile to consider when comparing resale and replacement values.

I bought an '86 Ranger in 1991 for $7500.00, and drove it for about eight years. At the end of that time, I had to pay someone (the junkyard...) to take it off my hands. I'd spent something like $10,000.00 in repairs keeping that thing on the road over that time frame, too. The Toyota truck that replaced it was a 1990. Paid $7000.00 for it, and when it was stolen in 2002, the insurance company was forced to pay me $8100.00 when they totaled it out. Yeah, I had to go to an independent adjuster to make that happen, but that's what a comparable truck was going for in 2002. Maintenance costs in that five-year span? Just about nil––All I did was change the oil. The Ranger went through two transmissions in the first five years I owned it.

Bought a 1993 4Runner a few years later for around the same price, and when that thing got totaled in an accident, the only things I could find in comparable condition were priced at around $9300.00. Which was precisely what the insurance company wound up settling for.

Toyotas, for whatever reason, hold their value. Buy one used, maintain it properly, and you'll probably come out money ahead when it comes time to sell it. Whatever you spend on a comparable US-made vehicle? You're basically pissing it away.

Hell, I've got a twenty year-old Land Cruiser out in the driveway right now that still drives and handles better than some of the brand-new US-made SUVs that belong to friends of mine. It's not just the "fanboy" factor, either––Toyota makes good stuff, and their lemon-to-good car ratio is a hell of a lot better than most manufacturers. The other nice thing? They stand behind their products, at least in my experience.
Link Posted: 8/14/2012 9:32:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I love Chevys but the toyotas last longer, get better mpg, and retain their value better which means better resale. For a passenger vehicle I'd rather have a Toyota, for pulling I'd have a duramax. Which is what I have lol.

I wouldn't mind shelling out more money for a Toyota becaus I know it will keep its value.

No, no they don't.
Sequoia's are notorious for expensive repairs, burn as much fuel as a Nissan Armada and resale value is the same as a Tahoe or Yukon that cost $10-15K less than the Toyota when they were sold new.
I'm stating this because ACV is what it is and Black Book pricing tells me so.
The rig we took in over the weekend is sharp as a pin, low Kms and no damage history. It sold for a tad over 80 grand 2 1/2 years ago. The asking price on our lot is just over 1/2 of that and we will get it because the market sets the price, and that's the price the maket will bare.

The Sequoia is a nice rig but it's not really any better than its competition and if you want to sell one you have to sell it at a competitive price.
Link Posted: 8/14/2012 9:35:38 PM EDT
[#27]
It's gigantic.
Link Posted: 8/14/2012 9:39:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, no they don't.
Sequoia's are notorious for expensive repairs, burn as much fuel as a Nissan Armada and resale value is the same as a Tahoe or Yukon that cost $10-15K less than the Toyota when they were sold new.
The rig we took in over the weekend is sharp as a pin, low Kms and no damage history. It sold for a tad over 80 grand 2 1/2 years ago. The asking price on our lot is just over 1/2 of that and we will get it because the market sets the price, and that's the price the maket will bare.

The Sequoia is a nice rig but it's not really any better than its competition and if you want to sell one you have to sell it at a competitive price.

Sorry, your in canada. Things are different down here. If its like you say up there cool I believe you. Not down here.
Link Posted: 8/14/2012 9:43:35 PM EDT
[#29]

Drive any domestic SUV with 50k miles on it and then a Toyota SUV with 200k miles on it and you will understand.

Link Posted: 8/14/2012 9:43:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Because people are willing to pay it.   It's that simple.  If you aren't willing to pay that much, there is a bigger fool standing right behind you with cash in hand.  

Link Posted: 8/14/2012 9:48:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, no they don't.

Sorry, your in canada. Things are different down here. If its like you say up there cool I believe you. Not down here.

No worries. I recon with the economy 'down there' that the competition would be much tighter. Buyers market and such.

Link Posted: 8/14/2012 9:55:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

What trim level?  SR5, Limited, Platinum?  

They're basically a dressed down Land Cruiser
Link Posted: 8/14/2012 10:21:51 PM EDT
[#33]
My 2002 Tundra with 140k miles is a tighter, less worn out truck than the 2010 F150 with 40k I drive at work. Thats why.
Link Posted: 8/14/2012 10:52:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Sequoia is bigger in every dimension including wheelbase, has a whole lot more cargo volume and a larger fuel tank than the LC.  The Sequoia is a body on frame while the LC is unitized body  It also has nowhere near as capable a 4wd system. It also has 1400lb less towing capacity.  Shares the same engine/trans though, but the Sequoia has an independent rear suspension while the LC has a 4 link with a semi floating axle.

I wish they would offer a diesel option!

Link Posted: 8/14/2012 10:59:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Toyota's hold their value.  My base model Toyota Tacoma (4 cylinder engine, 2-WD, tiny ass tires) is the first vehicle I've owned that has maintained a positive value, it's still worth more than what I owe on it.  Every other vehicle I've owned I was always underwater with it until right before the loan was paid off.

Link Posted: 8/14/2012 11:16:10 PM EDT
[#36]
One thing I have noticed spending years out deep in the woods.

The further I get from the pavement, the less likely it is to see anything but a toyota.

Have you not seen the hilux destruction test? They can't destroy it!
Link Posted: 8/14/2012 11:51:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
One thing I have noticed spending years out deep in the woods.

The further I get from the pavement, the less likely it is to see anything but a toyota.

Have you not seen the hilux destruction test? They can't destroy it!

A Hilux would be so awesome! Maybe one day we will be so lucky.
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 12:09:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Chevy/GMC dealers are accustomed to selling their products for well below sticker price.

Toyota dealers aren't.

Toyota didn't take a Bailout, and Toyota dealers don't have to give them away to move them either.

Link Posted: 8/15/2012 12:21:27 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Sequoia is bigger in every dimension including wheelbase, has a whole lot more cargo volume and a larger fuel tank than the LC.  The Sequoia is a body on frame while the LC is unitized body  It also has nowhere near as capable a 4wd system. It also has 1400lb less towing capacity.  Shares the same engine/trans though, but the Sequoia has an independent rear suspension while the LC has a 4 link with a semi floating axle.

I wish they would offer a diesel option!

Plus they have like 4 different LCD tvs in them.  I rode in one with one of our director's

Link Posted: 8/15/2012 12:28:10 AM EDT
[#40]
Because everyone knows the quality that is Toyota.

Link Posted: 8/15/2012 12:36:32 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Toyota dealers aren't.

Toyota didn't take a Bailout, and Toyota dealers don't have to give them away to move them either.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,504055,00.html
http://www.emptywheel.net/2011/08/23/the-other-auto-bailout-ford-toyota-and-harley-davidson/

Yes, Toyota took a bailout.  It didn't come from our government and it wasn't as big as the GM bailout, but they still ASKED FOR and RECEIVED a bailout.
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 12:42:41 AM EDT
[#42]
For the past year I have been looking at Jeep Cherokees to replace my Mustang and the Jeeps can be had for at least $2000 less for a comparable Toyota.
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 1:40:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Toyota dealers aren't.

http://www.emptywheel.net/2011/08/23/the-other-auto-bailout-ford-toyota-and-harley-davidson/

Yes, Toyota took a bailout.  It didn't come from our government and it wasn't as big as the GM bailout, but they still ASKED FOR and RECEIVED a bailout.

I don't care what Toyota had to do in Japan to stay afloat.

They make dependable, quality products that hold their value and that's all I care about.
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 1:45:36 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
For the past year I have been looking at Jeep Cherokees to replace my Mustang and the Jeeps can be had for at least $2000 less for a comparable Toyota.

There is a good reason for that

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 1:47:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Toyota dealers aren't.

They make dependable, quality products that hold their value and that's all I care about.

You seemed to care in your previous post or else you wouldn't of posted that.

Just so I'm clear on this:
American bailouts = Evil, will never buy that product again!
Foreign bailouts = Who cares?

Here I was thinking that all bailouts were bad thinking.  Silly me...
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 2:12:34 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, landcruisers compete directly with Range Rovers.    

But at the same time, Tahoes are quite expensive as well when comparing to sequoias.

The new landcruisers are around $90k
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 2:35:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Toyota dealers aren't.

And what about having the US bail them out too?

http://jalopnik.com/5704575/ford-bmw-toyota-took-secret-government-money

The double dip bailout?
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 2:52:57 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Toyota's hold their value.  My base model Toyota Tacoma (4 cylinder engine, 2-WD, tiny ass tires) is the first vehicle I've owned that has maintained a positive value, it's still worth more than what I owe on it.  Every other vehicle I've owned I was always underwater with it until right before the loan was paid off.  

I bought my last Taco in 2009. With all the discounts and perks I walked away paying right around $24K off the lot. Today, with 50K miles on it, the Kelly BB is just about what I paid for it.  I like Toyos and have driven their trucks/cars for 20 years but the resale prices are a bit crazy, much like Honda.
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 3:10:06 AM EDT
[#49]
Because they are uber reliable, will easily run 300,000 miles and are built like a tank.

Ford, Chevy and GMC all have huge pension benefits that cost between $1,350-1,750 per vehicle sold.  Toyota doesn't so they can invest that money into higher quality materials where the domestic companies have to cut corners to cover pensions.  Those changes explain why Toyota's have better build quality.

And don't think I'm a domestic basher.  We owned an Expedition and now own a F150.  Both do not have the same quality as my old Tacoma (that I wish I still had) or my wife's new Sienna.  Domestics are getting better, but they are still behind the Toyota.
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 3:37:43 AM EDT
[#50]
Might cost a bit more than GM vehicles, but they hold their value more as well. At least from what I have noticed..

Regardless, I went from a Dodge to a Toyota and pickup and couldn't be happier.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top