Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/28/2009 11:36:12 AM EDT
One towed car... Four FSU kids... Seven cops... 8,800 Pennies... One epic win.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URWkNslcxPM

Link Posted: 7/28/2009 11:43:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Fuck tow companies. Cocksucking scum of the Earth.

Link Posted: 7/28/2009 11:45:19 AM EDT
[#2]
The tow people in Tallahassee are simply ridiculous. Back when I was at FSU, my girlfriend was towed from my complex' lot, even though she had the appropriate decal. I argued with those people for almost 30 minutes, and the decal was still in her car! Nonetheless, I ended up paying the $88 and give them the verbal lashing of a lifetime. I wish I would have thought to do this when I had to retrieve the car.
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 11:46:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I just love seeing tow companies lose.

Link Posted: 7/28/2009 11:49:46 AM EDT
[#4]
For the ADD in the group (namely me), how did it end?  I couldn't get past the 2 minute mark.
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 11:50:46 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

For the ADD in the group (namely me), how did it end?  I couldn't get past the 2 minute mark.

Cunt at the desk wont take pennies, cops show up and tell her it's federal law to take pennies, guy gets his car.

Link Posted: 7/28/2009 11:50:56 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

The cops come and tell the company that they have to take it, several times. The company tries everything to try and reject it, but ultimately have to cave in.

Link Posted: 7/28/2009 11:55:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I tried a similiar stunt once and I must not have been the first b/c without even soo much as a beat they said the would credit my account and issue a receipt as sson as it was counted and I would need to stay to witness it, to make sure it all gets counted.  Then they called what I would guess to be a highschool student, generally labor help person (I suspect relative of the owner) who called me back to her desk and begin to count.  She would count ten and put them in a stack and right down 10 cents. Doe this again. etc.  After Ten Stacks she would circle those ten on the paper and grab the ten stacks and ever so carfully polace them in a roll by hand, close the roll and mark $1 down on the next tally sheet, re totallize the tally sheet to show th addition of the dollar and begin again.

I think after about $25 and hour to hour and 1/2 had gone by, I decided to pay the rest in $20's and take the change to the bank with the auto-counter.....

Link Posted: 7/28/2009 11:58:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Lol, what did you try to pay for?
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 11:58:51 AM EDT
[#9]
He called 911? Should have called the non-emergency line. That would have been pretty freaking funny if the cop had come and given him a ticket for abusing the 911 system.

We tried this once in HS. It was a girls choice dance, and the girls though it'd be funny to pay for the picnic food in pennies. Store wouldn't take it. They tried the "But it's legal tender, you have to take it." Manager came out and pointed to the sign saying they have the right to refuse service, and said that unless it was rolled, they'd refuse to sell us anything.

What a dumb date.
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 12:00:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't necessarily know if I would have called 911 to get the Police out there.
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 12:00:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I think my city needs to be paid in pennies in protest of their new taxes.  This has inspired me...
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 12:06:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Now the towing Co. will take his car just for payback..
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 12:09:29 PM EDT
[#13]
This is funny..

Nice idea, but you're an IDIOT for two reasons:

1. The
girl at the counter that you were harassing has NOTHING to do with your
car being towed; she's just an employee of the company. You just
ruined her day being a total dick for no reason.

2. Businesses
CAN, by law, pick and choose which types of legal tender to choose.
This is why you see businesses saying they won't take $100s, $50s, etc.

You're a fucking idiot.

Apparently someone has failed at life.

Good to the guy for causing a hassle for them, but it sucks he's pissing on her day (she's just a the low-end desk monkey).

How many cops does it take to enforce a non-issue law?

Link Posted: 7/28/2009 12:10:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I must say.......... WIN
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 12:11:21 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

This is funny..

1. Thegirl at the counter that you were harassing has NOTHING to do with yourcar being towed; she's just an employee of the company. You justruined her day being a total dick for no reason.

2. BusinessesCAN, by law, pick and choose which types of legal tender to choose.This is why you see businesses saying they won't take $100s, $50s, etc.

You're a fucking idiot.

Good to the guy for causing a hassle for them, but it sucks he's pissing on her day (she's just a the low-end desk monkey).

Fuck her and fuck that company.

Link Posted: 7/28/2009 12:15:07 PM EDT
[#16]
made me smile ,, fuck em if they cant take a joke .

the police seemed to be happy with it
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 12:15:40 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is funny..

1. Thegirl at the counter that you were harassing has NOTHING to do with yourcar being towed; she's just an employee of the company. You justruined her day being a total dick for no reason.

2. BusinessesCAN, by law, pick and choose which types of legal tender to choose.This is why you see businesses saying they won't take $100s, $50s, etc.

You're a fucking idiot.

Fuck her and fuck that company.

There's no argument there.  She honestly was pissed that she was going to be forced to do work so close to closing.

Link Posted: 7/28/2009 12:16:27 PM EDT
[#18]
My understanding is coinage is not legal tender. Only paper money and they can chose weather or not to accept the pennies.
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 12:17:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
He called 911? Should have called the non-emergency line. That would have been pretty freaking funny if the cop had come and given him a ticket for abusing the 911 system.

We tried this once in HS. It was a girls choice dance, and the girls though it'd be funny to pay for the picnic food in pennies. Store wouldn't take it. They tried the "But it's legal tender, you have to take it." Manager came out and pointed to the sign saying they have the right to refuse service, and said that unless it was rolled, they'd refuse to sell us anything.

What a dumb date.

My understanding is this:

In your situation the "legal tender" thing doesn't apply because the girls were trying to pay for something before being rendered services (ie buying food). So the store can refuse to sell for any reason. However, in the video "services" were rendered already, so in that case they must take legal tender.
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 12:17:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

THIS
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 12:19:03 PM EDT
[#21]
If a bank can demand that pennies be rolled, I'd think a business could too.

Link Posted: 7/28/2009 12:20:42 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

My understanding is coinage is not legal tender. Only paper money and they can chose weather or not to accept the pennies.

Link Posted: 7/28/2009 12:22:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Having had a properly permitted truck towed from my apartment complex parking lot before, I fully support this action.

Tow company is lucky they didn't get 8,800 ASS pennies.

ETA... I briefly thought about paying my tax bill in pennies, but figured I would get audited every year for the rest of my life if I did so.
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 12:22:33 PM EDT
[#24]
SO, for all of you who think this guy is some kind of genius, I have a question. Would it be alright if you got your next paycheck in pennies? After all, it's legal tender.
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 12:23:29 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Having had a properly permitted truck towed from my apartment complex parking lot before, I fully support this action.

Tow company is lucky they didn't get 8,800 ASS pennies.

All pennies are ass pennies. Well, at least all the pennies I come in contact with!

Link Posted: 7/28/2009 12:27:01 PM EDT
[#26]
check or money order only
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 12:27:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I tried a similiar stunt once and I must not have been the first b/c without even soo much as a beat they said the would credit my account and issue a receipt as sson as it was counted and I would need to stay to witness it, to make sure it all gets counted.  Then they called what I would guess to be a highschool student, generally labor help person (I suspect relative of the owner) who called me back to her desk and begin to count.  She would count ten and put them in a stack and right down 10 cents. Doe this again. etc.  After Ten Stacks she would circle those ten on the paper and grab the ten stacks and ever so carfully polace them in a roll by hand, close the roll and mark $1 down on the next tally sheet, re totallize the tally sheet to show th addition of the dollar and begin again.

I think after about $25 and hour to hour and 1/2 had gone by, I decided to pay the rest in $20's and take the change to the bank with the auto-counter.....

I would've stayed there and made buffy count them.  I'd stay all mother fucking night, right there, if I had to.
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 12:27:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Good to go.
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 12:36:12 PM EDT
[#29]
If a vehicle was improperly taken how can they assess a fee?

I might be inclined to call it in stolen once I located the vehicle and they tried to bill me for the wrongful tow. The towing company's lien on the vehicle doesn't apply when they take a vehicle wrongfully.
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 12:55:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

A huge +1 from me.
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 12:59:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Parking meters here will take your pennies but won't give you credit for em... how's that for illegal  then again with parking meters around here up to $2/hr, you'd fill up the meter pretty fast with those old pennies.
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 1:08:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Good one...

- AG
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 1:10:32 PM EDT
[#33]
My car was towed by my apartment complex one time in AZ when it was legally parked. I went to get my car and the tow company said they are holding the car for payment. I told them I did not authorize the tow and they are owed by the person who authorized the tow not me. They refused to return my car, so I called the police (general number not 911) and told them what was up. They sent a car over and the officer told them they had to give me car back or he would arrest them for grand theft auto.... I got my car with out ever paying for the tow... it was a good day
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 1:15:37 PM EDT
[#34]
I think he had 5.11 pants on, whats his SN?
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 1:25:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
SO, for all of you who think this guy is some kind of genius, I have a question. Would it be alright if you got your next paycheck in pennies? After all, it's legal tender.

no thanks, my car cannot carry a ton of pennies.  plus, I dont do shit to my company just to be an asshole to them.
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 1:31:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Cunt at the desk wont take pennies, cops show up and tell her it's federal law to take pennies, guy gets his car.

Cops were wrong. I remember seeing on the U.S. Mint or Treasury's website that businesses aren't required to accept any particular denomination.

The clerk could (and should) have made them at least roll it up.

"Sorry, but I'm not counting it. Your car will be just fine right where it is (for another $120/day storage) until you fine gentlemen can roll it up."
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 1:34:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Epic fucking win. I hate tow companies like that with a passion
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 1:34:40 PM EDT
[#38]
This reminds me...

Remember the thread about the guy who had a boot on his car in front of his house, then put his car on rollers, moved it into his garage, and posted the ensuing hilarity when the owner of the boot tried to get it back?

Sometimes it's good to bully the bullies.
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 1:34:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Those cock suckers at Professional Parking Services towed my goddamn delivery van when I drove up to move my little sister (FSU student) from one apartment complex to another. There was a Tallahassee PD officer working the complex off duty that night and he assured me I could park my van there. I wake up in the morning to find it gone. I went to the leasing office and complained to the manager, she told me to go get my van and called the company who released it free. I get to the van and it's fucking unlocked with the driver window down.

If their building caught fire, and all their employees burned to death I wouldn't care. No, wait...I would. I would smile.
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 1:38:56 PM EDT
[#40]
No way I'm going to listen to that annoying voice for 10 minutes.
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 1:39:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
This reminds me...

Remember the thread about the guy who had a boot on his car in front of his house, then put his car on rollers, moved it into his garage, and posted the ensuing hilarity when the owner of the boot tried to get it back?

Link?
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 1:40:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Those cock suckers at Professional Parking Services towed my goddamn delivery van when I drove up to move my little sister (FSU student) from one apartment complex to another. There was a Tallahassee PD officer working the complex off duty that night and he assured me I could park my van there. I wake up in the morning to find it gone. I went to the leasing office and complained to the manager, she told me to go get my van and called the company who released it free. I get to the van and it's fucking unlocked with the driver window down.

If their building caught fire, and all their employees burned to death I wouldn't care. No, wait...I would. I would smile.

I'm just sayin'...

(This is only humor and is in no way promoting criminal activity.)
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 1:41:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
This reminds me...

oh that was great, couldn't find the original but here are the cliff notes
Link
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 1:42:35 PM EDT
[#44]
I see someone found it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 1:42:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Meh, get even, call at 3 am for a locked out vehicle. Cancel at last minute saying you found them.

They don't get paid, you get even.......................

One can play "dirty" on both sides of the tow hook.
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 1:48:48 PM EDT
[#46]
When considering payment by pennies, refer to the  coinage act of 1965 and the definition of legal tender.  Private businesses can place restrictions on then types of currency accepted unless it is a debt.  For most retail transactions, there is no debt.  In situations like a restaurant, where you pay after you eat, or a service that has already been performed, a debt exists and legal tender must be accepted as payment.
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 1:52:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

US Code, Title 31, Subtitle IV, Chapter 51, Subchapter I:

§ 5103. Legal tender
United States coins and currency (including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks) are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues. Foreign gold or silver coins are not legal tender for debts.
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 1:54:25 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This reminds me...

Link?

Copy of legendary epic win, reposted on another forum.

Link Posted: 7/28/2009 2:10:32 PM EDT
[#49]
I'd say they have to accept it since they are basically holding your vehicle hostage until you pay....your willing to pay if they don't want to accept it then I would say they could be charged with theft at that point.

just my opinion.

T
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 2:15:57 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

For the ADD in the group (namely me), how did it end? I couldn't get past the 2 minute mark.

Cops were wrong. I remember seeing on the U.S. Mint or Treasury's website that businesses aren't required to accept any particular denomination.

The clerk could (and should) have made them at least roll it up.

"Sorry, but I'm not counting it. Your car will be just fine right where it is (for another $120/day storage) until you fine gentlemen can roll it up."

Yup, this is correct. The tow company can refuse a stack of pennies. Its not federal law that they have to take it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top