Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2004 1:30:10 AM EDT
Hi All,

I’m in the market for a tow rig to pull my Toyota Pickup on an 18’ tandem axle trailer w/ trailer brakes.  I’ve been looking at an ’04 GMC 2500HD, with the 6.0 and auto.  I’ve always been a Ford guy, but GMC has 0% financing, so…

The truck will be a semi-daily driver primarily.  Will I be satisfied with this, or should I look for a Powerstroke Super Duty with the 7.3, and call it good?

Thanks,

Michael

Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:18:49 AM EDT
[#1]
My dad REALLY likes his GMC Duramax. He pulls a 10,000# fifth wheel with it. The Allison tranny is very nice. Decent economy too (but not as good as my cummins)

Karl
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:38:59 AM EDT
[#2]
There's a reason why the Ford Powerstroke Diesel outsells all the rest.
The Chevy Duramax Diesel is made for Chevy by the JAPS.
The Dodge Cummins isn't bad either.

I would go with the Ford Powerstroke, hands down.
There are tons of aftermarket performance parts for the Powerstroke, should you be inclined to dramatically increase the factory HP and torque numbers.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 5:44:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Note, I should have said, the GMC is a gasser.  Maybe I should have phrased it, should I get a new gas GMC 2500HD, or a used Diesel F250 SD?  
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 5:49:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Go diesel, or go home.  Ops
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 5:53:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Go diesel, or go home.  Ops

AMEN.

Dude get a diesel.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 5:55:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
There's a reason why the Ford Powerstroke Diesel outsells all the rest.
The Chevy Duramax Diesel is made for Chevy by the JAPS.

The Ford PSD outsells the rest because its less expensive and FoMoCo Credit company will finance ANYONE.  All you have to say is that you have $X00.00 to spend per month, and they will finance you.  You might have an interest rate of 17.9% for 84 months, but they will finance you.  

The DuraMax was designed and built JOINTLY with Isuzu, that is true.  However Isuzu is the 2nd oldest producers of diesel engines in the world, just something to think about.  

BTW, isn't "JAPS" a racial statement?  Maybe your own bias and racism is coming out a bit TOO much in your post.

Oh yeah, the new 6.0 PSD had some pretty significant failures since its inception and the older 7.3 PSD was built off of a gas engine block.  I think its ironic that people still wrongly accuse GM for using a gas engine conversion for the 6.2 and 6.5 diesels.  When in fact, these were designed by Detroit Diesel...  Hmmm.  Oh well, have a nice day.

Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:35:10 PM EDT
[#7]
The Nissan and Isuzu diesels tend to be modified versions of marine diesels.  Greater oil sumps, sleeved cylinders and bearings, etc.  Pretty damn good engines.

If you are putting a lot of miles on it a cost analysis may indicate a diesel is worth the cost difference.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:51:11 PM EDT
[#8]
For power there is no equal to the Ford Diesel.

Ever try hauling six bulls, 2,000lbs each, up a Wyoming mountain-side??

Only truck that will do it is a Ford Diesel.  Been there, done that.....
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:01:00 PM EDT
[#9]
only diesel that will do blah blah blah, horseshit

opinions are like assholes, everybody has one..............

mine is that the 7.3L ford, which was made by INTERNATIONAL was a good engine, ford has done away with that and gone to the 6.0 which until proven i will consider an impressive piece of shit

dodge cummins is a bad mamajama, unfortunately it's built in a dodge and thus i'd avoid it as well unless i was strapped for money and HAD to have a diesel

chevy duramax apparently has the bugs worked out of it and is now second only behind the cummins and only be a few #s, its up to 320hp and 590ft/lbs now if i remember correctly, the fuel filter is a certifiable bitch to change but since the early fuel rail problems were fixed i havent heard of any real problems with them, plus they're in a chevy which to me is a plus

6.0 gas chevy i would not get to pull

8.1 gas chevy is a bad bitch, it's what i have but you'd best own some BP stock because i get 10mpg without anything behind me
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:04:34 PM EDT
[#10]
TexRdnec, why would you not choose the 6.0 gasser please?
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:49:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Here is all you need.

It works for a living (RV transporting). And not one problem other than the passanger sunvisor broke.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:07:05 PM EDT
[#12]
The 7.3L did not start our as a gas block. It is a great engine. Get the PSD, not only is the truck better, the Diesel is a must for towing.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:11:38 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The Nissan and Isuzu diesels tend to be modified versions of marine diesels.  Greater oil sumps, sleeved cylinders and bearings, etc.  Pretty damn good engines.

PaDanby touches on an aspect that you may not have considered: Isuzu/Chevy/GMC, Mitsubishi, UD/Nissan Diesel and Hino all make small Class 3-5 COE trucks that come with excellent diesels as standard equipment - for about the same price as a 1-ton pickup from any of the Big Three. These are commercial-duty vehicles (good for 300K between overhauls, and very rebuildable), yet not as big or hard-to-manuver as a Freightliner or International. Slap a utility/tow bed on the back, and you've got a great hauler/support vehicle.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:31:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 9:08:55 PM EDT
[#15]
MickeyMouse, that sounds like the truck I'm looking at, except it's 4wd.  What kind of mileage do you get towing a loaded trailer?
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 9:48:57 PM EDT
[#16]
I have always been a Chevy fan, BUT, I would not trade my 2000 Ford 4x4 Superduty with the 7.3 powerestroke for any other truck out there.  I got it with the 6spd and have put the Hypertech tuner in it.  It's not quite as fast as my 2000 Trans Am but it will give it a run for the money and it will flat out pull a house behind it.  I tow a 30ft travel trailer and it will run at 80mph all day long and not even feel its back there.
Top Top