Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2017 8:48:17 PM EDT
The Park Is Mine (1986) - Trailer

A film about a Vietnam Veteran tired of being pushed around and treated like shit. A friend of his who also served commits suicide while dying of cancer. In his note, he tells Tommy Lee Jones that he had a plan to take over Central Park and raise awareness for down and out vets. 

Tommy Lee Jones keeps the plan alive and goes through with it. Laying siege to Central Park and keeping the NYPD out. The Deputy Mayor wanting to use this crisis to enhance his career and the Police Commissioner not wanting to jeopardize his agrees and a two man Merc team is inserted into the park.

One is a Dutch National that has served in South East Asia and Africa and the other is a former Viet Cong that likes money. 

In the end, Tommy Lee Jones raises awareness for vets, wins the fight, and surrenders.
View Quote
Why do I bring this typical 80s film up today?

Because the nation has been at war for 16 years and there is no end in sight. We have political division and a ton of disgruntled veterans that have been treated like shit. We have politicians willing to use crisis for their personal gain in career and numerous LE command staff that sides with the politicians to protect their golden goose of a job.

So take it for what it is or think about it and try to apply that contexts of the film's into today's world.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:10:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Are those blanks?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:13:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are those blanks?
View Quote
Yes, those are blanks.

Welcome to the 1980s 
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:14:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I remember watching that film with my Brother shortly after it came out.  We laughed all the way through it.  In a cheesy, campy way it was actually good. Not sure how it's held up though, but I may watch it again someday when I'm bored.  Along with movies like Dark Star and The Challenge, it might still be campy, cheese goodness.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:17:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I need to see this one
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:25:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I remember watching that film with my Brother shortly after it came out.  We laughed all the way through it.  In a cheesy, campy way it was actually good. Not sure how it's held up though, but I may watch it again someday when I'm bored.  Along with movies like Dark Star and The Challenge, it might still be campy, cheese goodness.
View Quote
I saw it back in the day and recently. It actually held up pretty well and has some period known names in it. The Plot could work today. 
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:26:29 PM EDT
[#6]
The book was much better.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:38:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I loved this movie when I was a kid.  Need to watch again.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:41:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The book was much better.
View Quote
That's the case with just about everything.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:42:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Are those blanks?
View Quote
No, they are fluted bullets
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:44:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:04:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I like that movie, it's a good watch.

I watched First Blood a year ago for the first time in 20 years.  I was impressed in the beginning how Stallone played a Vietnam veteran who is clearly used to being shit on by people because of his appearance.  He does a good job of portraying someone weary of it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:09:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yes, those are blanks.

Welcome to the 1980s 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are those blanks?
Yes, those are blanks.

Welcome to the 1980s 
Watch the movie, Tommy uses live and blank rounds throughout the film, on purpose.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:16:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Watch the movie, Tommy uses live and blank rounds throughout the film, on purpose.
View Quote
doesn't he switch between mags of live rounds and mags of blank rounds without swapping a blank-firing adaptor on or off his rifle?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:20:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Great movie but hard to find. I could not locate a dvd or video tape when I recently looked. Found an upload on youtube but video quality was not very good.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:21:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I had a VHS copy of that back when I was in the Army.

Good flick.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:23:55 PM EDT
[#16]
I personally am everywhere...
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:24:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Great movie but hard to find. I could not locate a dvd or video tape when I recently looked. Found an upload on youtube but video quality was not very good.
View Quote
available on Amazon Prime
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:42:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
doesn't he switch between mags of live rounds and mags of blank rounds without swapping a blank-firing adaptor on or off his rifle?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, he pulls a Die Hard 2
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:43:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
Kodi has it in HD
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:46:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Kodi has it in HD
View Quote
Uh oh...........

Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:55:20 AM EDT
[#21]
I wore that book out in the 7th/8th grade. That and "Guns Up!".
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:29:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Good movie, haven't seen it in years.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:49:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have borrowed his "Emperor of Montana" line on occasion.
View Quote
Wyoming, not Montana

Fucking love the movie
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:07:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Great book. I've never seen the movie all the way through - I always seem to catch it halfway in.  I'll have to make a point of looking it up.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:48:40 AM EDT
[#25]
The Rock did it better
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:05:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The Rock did it better
View Quote
The Rock was more coup d'etat and less everyday man being pissed off.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:12:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Are those blanks?
View Quote
Most film production companies frown on shooting actors, or even extras or set crew, with actual bullets.

Yes, there is some cost in realism, but it helps with insurance expenses immensely.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:13:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Most film production companies frown on shooting actors, or even extras or set crew, with actual bullets.

Yes, there is some cost in realism, but it helps with insurance expenses immensely.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are those blanks?

According to some in Hollywood; Brandon Lee was worth the expense. 
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:29:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's how I watched it several years ago.  It looked like typical VHS quality to me.  May have to check out the HD version to see how much I missed.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:34:02 AM EDT
[#30]
One of my all-time favorites.  

"Come here, Duluth.  You got change for a dollar?"
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:40:11 AM EDT
[#31]
80s action movies are the best. U scored this on DVD a few years ago. Shitty homemade VHS to DVD copy, but still love it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:47:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

One of my all-time favorites.  

"Come here, Duluth.  You got change for a dollar?"
http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/4/4d/TPIM_10.jpg/600px-TPIM_10.jpg
View Quote
him standing there in camo, with a knife and an AK, chastising the guy for bringing a girl to Central Park at night because "there are weirdos out here!" is classic
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:02:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

him standing there in camo, with a knife and an AK, chastising the guy for bringing a girl to Central Park at night because "there are weirdos out here!" is classic
View Quote
That's the magic of the film. The obviousness of the situation and him poking phone at it. 

Also Pay Phones. 

Kids these days don't understand Pay Phones.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top