Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2003 3:12:26 AM EDT
So it's about 2:00 in the morning, I've finished reading ARFCOM and decide to go get a hamburger. I go out to the car and notice that the trunk is open. Hmm, I ask my fiance why she left the trunk open. It turns out that she probably didn't. As we walk around to the passenger side, the window is busted out, and the $300 subwoofer that was in the trunk is now gone. After getting a flashlight, we see that the $1000 GPS unit, $100 cd-player, and Samsung cell phone are all missing. At least the low-lifes could have closed the trunk when they were finished stealing... [pissed]

So I go inside and am wondering how easy it is to break a piece of glass with one of those automatic center-punches. I go ahead and apply the tool to an old applesauce jar and am immediately faced with a huge flap of skin hanging from my index (trigger) finger. I peeled it back and you could acctually see muscle, so I went ahead and went to the emergency room. They cut the flap of skin off and wrapped it in a big thing of gause. They said that I will probably have a fingerprint again one day, but it may not be the same one. [rolleyes]

I would have gotten some before pics of my finger, but the fiance was too quesy and my mom was too furious (she tried to warn me about cutting myself).
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 3:19:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 3:20:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Sorry to hear bud. I've had my nice $300 Pioneer stolen outa my S-10 along with my tail gate. I know how you feel. Hope your finger gets better.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 3:25:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
With all that hi-tech gear in the car how did the perps get by the $100 alarm system?
View Quote

Glad you asked. I'm quite poor and thought that I lived in a good neighborhood (I live with my parents). My fiance and I decided that we wanted to get an alarm someday, but we weren't too concerned about it. We figured insurance would take care of it (hopefully it will). At any rate, we probably should have had one, but we bought guns instead. Can ya really blame us? [:D]

BTW, the GPS and cell phine were gifts from my fiance's mom. That's why we had them.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 3:30:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I live in a good neighborhood and an alarm is still the first thing I add to any vehicle.  Guess it's from living in NJ for a long time.

Hope they catch the little bastids.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 3:33:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I hope you secure the guns better than you did the mega buck stereo and GPS. Next time, just leave cash on the seat.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 3:44:57 AM EDT
[#6]
[b]I'm quite poor...[/b]

[b]$300 subwoofer... $1000 GPS unit, $100 cd-player, and Samsung cell phone[/b]

you are obviously NOT poor.

i own no subwoofers. no gps units. no cd player.

and i do not own a cell phone.

something isn't adding up here.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 3:48:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I hope you secure the guns better than you did the mega buck stereo and GPS. Next time, just leave cash on the seat.
View Quote

That's something that I've thought about. About the only time guns are in the car is when I'm going to the range. As for being inside the house, I don't have a safe. I've been thinking about getting one, BUT, the two most expensive guns I have (AR and XD40) are the ones I use for home defence. What do you guys recommend for a situation like that? Even if I got a safe, those ones should be left out and easy to get to, right? (Also, it's *VERY* rare for no one to be home (my mom is retired)...usually, there's at least one person here, although the house is empty on occasion)
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 3:48:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
[b]I'm quite poor...[/b]

View Quote

sure it does, this is America, where welfare queens drive around in Lincoln navigators while shopping for food with food stamps

Link Posted: 5/9/2003 3:51:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Buy a damn safe before you do anything else. Do it with the insurance money from your car. Don't even think about spending it on another $300 subwoofer before securing your firearms.

Get a lock box for your XD and put the AR away in the safe. Keep them there and don't rely on your mother to protect your firearms. It's not her job...
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 3:54:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
[b]I'm quite poor...[/b]

View Quote

I edited the post to mention that the $1000 GPS and the phone were both gifts. The subwoofer was bought a long time ago (about 8 months ago) and the CD player was bought in January. That's $400 that I've spent on those things in the last 8 months.

I'm not living on the street, but I do have to really save up for purchases such as that. My fiance and I are planning on getting married in June. We really tried to get our money together to buy the AR and the pistol as we see these as borderline necessities. My point was, the subwoofer was old and came out of a different car. The only accessory I bought for this car was the $100 cd-player, and after paying for that (which I really had to scrimp for), I simply had to money to afford an alarm. When I had money that I could have spent on an alarm to protect my car, I decided that I would be better served by spending it on a gun to protect my family.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 3:58:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Buy a damn safe before you do anything else. Do it with the insurance money from your car. Don't even think about spending it on another $300 subwoofer before securing your firearms.

Get a lock box for your XD and put the AR away in the safe. Keep them there and don't rely on your mother to protect your firearms. It's not her job...
View Quote

Point taken. Once again, the subwoofer was something I bought when money wasn't so tight, and on the way home from the hospital my fiance and I were already discussing how we were NOT going to buy another one with the insurance money. (I don't think we'll replace the $1000 GPS either, at least not with one that expensive).

Serious question about the safe: How do you typically use one to protect your main defence guns? Do you only lock them up when you're away from home, or do you leave them there all the time and just run to the safe if someone breaks in?
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 4:12:00 AM EDT
[#12]
If you haven't already done so, I encourage you to take the NRA Personal Protection in the Home course. There is much more to home defense than stacking the AR in the closet.

Do you have a safe room to retreat to? Is there a clearly understood plan by all concerned about what to do in the event of an armed intruder? What are the potential access points?

I CCW and generally always carry in the home. I do not foresee a situation where I will need to slug it out with intruders with my AR's. My secondary weapon is an 870 that is secured to the closet wall (can't remember the name of the locking device). And don't forget a good flashlight as well.

The safe need not be expensive- anything to slow someone down is fine. Bolt it to the floor or the wall. You can find one for less than $200 bucks- less than that if you shop around. Lock them there whenever you leave home.

Link Posted: 5/9/2003 4:26:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you haven't already done so, I encourage you to take the NRA Personal Protection in the Home course. There is much more to home defense than stacking the AR in the closet.

Do you have a safe room to retreat to? Is there a clearly understood plan by all concerned about what to do in the event of an armed intruder? What are the potential access points?

I CCW and generally always carry in the home. I do not foresee a situation where I will need to slug it out with intruders with my AR's. My secondary weapon is an 870 that is secured to the closet wall (can't remember the name of the locking device). And don't forget a good flashlight as well.

The safe need not be expensive- anything to slow someone down is fine. Bolt it to the floor or the wall. You can find one for less than $200 bucks- less than that if you shop around. Lock them there whenever you leave home.

View Quote

Thanks for all of the great info. I have not yet taken the NRA course, but I will look into that ASAP. The XD is my primary weapon, the AR more so for my fiance. She much prefers it to any pistol that she's ever shot, IIRC. It was originally bought so that she would have something for when she's home along and I have the pistol. I think that it would do us both good to take that course.

As for safe rooms, we havn't really thought about it much. The extent of my planning is to take them out as soon as they come in. The living room has access to all major entry points, and that's usually where I am and where I sleep, along witht he XD. My parents aren't quite as concerned with the whole aspect of home protection as I am. To add insult to injury, they don't like guns either. [rolleyes] However, stuff like tonight really makes you realize that these people are out there, even in this neighborhood.

I have seen some relatively inexpensive safes. Are the ones at Bass Pro and Wal-Mart even worth looking at? The one at Bass Pro, specifically, seemed to be relatively well made, but instead of having locking bolts like on the more expensive safes, it had two simple locks like what is commonly used on store display cases. Are these even worth my time, or should I be looking only at the safes with the multiple locking bolts?

Thanks again! I don't mind people taking my stereo nearly as much as I think I would mind someone taking my guns and using them in a crime.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 4:31:55 AM EDT
[#14]
I am quite fond of my "stack-on" safe from Dicks sporting goods. About $80 when on sale.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 4:36:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Money's an issue for you now so anything is better than nothing. Get what you can afford.

As for taking them out as they enter- sounds good but reality is often much different. What if they are already in the house before you notice? Odds are it'll be dark and you might be awakened from a sound sleep.

As for the AR being a primary weapon for the fiance- might want to see if she'll reconsider. 223 rounds will punch through drywall like nobody's business. And close quarter battle with an AR requires more than just shooting targets at the range. How much practice does she do at five feet, in the dark, while moving to a safe location?

The point of all this is to really develop a plan that is executable and reflects your situation.

But the safe is an excellent start. Hope the finger heals quickly. And leave the applesauce jars alone...
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 4:45:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Money's an issue for you now so anything is better than nothing. Get what you can afford.

As for taking them out as they enter- sounds good but reality is often much different. What if they are already in the house before you notice? Odds are it'll be dark and you might be awakened from a sound sleep.

As for the AR being a primary weapon for the fiance- might want to see if she'll reconsider. 223 rounds will punch through drywall like nobody's business. And close quarter battle with an AR requires more than just shooting targets at the range. How much practice does she do at five feet, in the dark, while moving to a safe location?

The point of all this is to really develop a plan that is executable and reflects your situation.

But the safe is an excellent start. Hope the finger heals quickly. And leave the applesauce jars alone...
View Quote

Once again, very good points. I'm checking out the local NRA classes as we speak. The thinking behind the AR15 was that the m193 rounds would fragment upon hitting something, supposedly making them safer indoors that most other rifles. However, regardless of ballistics, the CQB practice with low-light is the real kicker. I'm hoping we can both get some quality traning soon after we get married and then go from there.

I think that she probably wouldn't mind using a decent 9mm. She's sorta picky about her guns. She shot a Jennings 9mm and said that it hurt too much, but then she thoroughly enjoyed shotting a Sig 357. For whatever reason, the Sig [i]did[/i] hurt less than the Jennings, even for me. We wanted the AR because of the previously mentioned fragmentation issue, and that combined with the precarious AWB situation we decided to get it and make due.

I think I'll be looking into a safe today though. Once again, thanks for all of the thoughts.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 4:52:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Johnphin
That sucks about the finger. Finger wounds take awhile to heal due to use. Keep it clean and covered.

It may not seem like it now but they did you a favor by stealing that getto blasting supwoofer. Its bad for you and annoys those around you. MMM maybe thats how they picked your car. You may have been sitting at a light and boooomming and they followed you home.

Link Posted: 5/9/2003 5:06:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
As for the AR being a primary weapon for the fiance- might want to see if she'll reconsider. 223 rounds will punch through drywall like nobody's business.
View Quote

5.56 actually penetrates LESS than most handgun rounds.

9mm has a nasty habit of punching through several walls at a time.

Av.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 5:08:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Johnphin
That sucks about the finger. Finger wounds take awhile to heal due to use. Keep it clean and covered.

It may not seem like it now but they did you a favor by stealing that getto blasting supwoofer. Its bad for you and annoys those around you. MMM maybe thats how they picked your car. You may have been sitting at a light and boooomming and they followed you home.

View Quote

Yeah, I thought about that, but I doubt it. I'm not really the bass type. I bought the thing just to add a little low end to the Yanni music that I listen to. I probably listen to music 1 out of 5 time that I'm in the car. Of that one time, my music choice has a lot of bass probably 1 out of 5 times. Usually I listen to the Moody Blues or Yanni. Most of the time, I'm listening to AM talk radio. I feel more educated that way. Of course, it's always a possibilty that someone took it because they heard it.

Right after 9/11,  my parents put a flag up on a pole with a light, and they've had it there ever since. Consistently, the flag would get stolen, sometimes 2 or 3 days in a row. We'd put a new one out that night just to spite 'em. Eventually we put a hidden camera up and cought the people doing it. It was some wannabe ganster white boy punk down the street a ways and his little friends. We had the cops called and gave 'em a criminal trespass warning, etc., and got about 6-10 flags back that he had been stockpiling in his room. I usually make it a point to drive down the street their direction if they're out to see what they're up to and they usually go the bad-to-the-bone stare down the car thing. Mind you, I'm not into antagonizing, but just driving down that street instead of the busier parrallel street. And that only when it looks like they're up to something. I figure it was them getting some sick little revenge.

I'm anxious to move to the country...
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 5:12:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
As for the AR being a primary weapon for the fiance- might want to see if she'll reconsider. 223 rounds will punch through drywall like nobody's business.
View Quote

5.56 actually penetrates LESS than most handgun rounds.

9mm has a nasty habit of punching through several walls at a time.

Av.
View Quote

True. But it will still blow through a couple of sheets of drywall- especially when at close distances.

I thought it worth noting because there are at least two others in the home and it is important to know where the rounds may end up.

Your right about the 9mm. Medium weight bullets and over 1,000fps really play hell on drywall.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 5:49:00 AM EDT
[#21]
dont you have a garage? youre poor? but you're getting married? and you live with your parents? and so does fiance?  

[size=6]Time for a life re-assessment bud.[/size=6]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 5:55:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Seems like you already have a prime suspect.

I had some rims/tire stolen and it was the neighborhood badass/dumbass. How I found out was talking with the other kids in the neighborhood and I found out were he bought his pot. I went over there and found my tire/rims.

The dumbasses parents may not be bad people and may even be willing to help you if you take the approach that you would rather have the stuff back than turn his name over to the cops.

Link Posted: 5/9/2003 5:59:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
dont you have a garage? youre poor? but you're getting married? and you live with your parents? and so does fiance?  

[size=6]Time for a life re-assessment bud.[/size=6]
View Quote

No, really, thanks for the encouragement. [;)]

We were planning on getting married after school, but the fiance's mom decided she didn't want us dating. She simply decided that we spend too much time together and should see less of each other. This is when we were both living in Abilene and going to school there. So, that meant being separated for months at a time while my fiances mom wouldn't cooperate and let us see each other. We switched schools and now go to school here in the D/FW metroplex. My parents were nice enough to say that we could stay with them for our last 2/3 years of school so that we could focus on our studies and not have to worry about paying for a dorm/apartment. As you know, the economy isn't very good and I was laid off, so now I'm looking for another job. I intend to have one before getting married. I'm sure different people define poor different ways. We make a budget and we try to stick with it. Currently, we've budgeted for living expences and are doing quite well in that area. When it comes to extra income (car stuff, guns, etc.), we're poor.

As for the garage, yeah, we have one but it's filled with woodworking equipment. I imagine that if it wasn't, my parents would have dibbs and my car would still be outside.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 6:08:28 AM EDT
[#24]
We figured insurance would take care of it (hopefully it will).
View Quote

Unless you had a rider on your insurance that itemised those items you might find out that they aren't covered on the primary policy.

I hope for your sake I'm wrong.

Good Luck
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 6:30:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Unless you had a rider on your insurance that itemised those items you might find out that they aren't covered on the primary policy.

Good Luck
View Quote

Check your policy, but in Texas you are typically only covered for items [i]permanently[/i] attached to the vehicle.  The GPS and other "non-permanent" items stolen will fall under homeowners' coverage, with a separate deductible.  The fact that you live with your parents may make this a bit of a difficult situation from a coverage standpoint.

As Princeton said, good luck.

Bud
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 6:40:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Good Luck
View Quote

Check your policy, but in Texas you are typically only covered for items [i]permanently[/i] attached to the vehicle.  The GPS and other "non-permanent" items stolen will fall under homeowners' coverage, with a separate deductible.  The fact that you live with your parents may make this a bit of a difficult situation from a coverage standpoint.

As Princeton said, good luck.

Bud
View Quote

The GPS unit was screwed into the dash, but was powered by a cigarette lighter plug. The insurance company asked about both of those things, so I'm not sure what they want to call it. We have USAA insurance, and my parents seemed pretty confident that they would pay for everything, but I'm not so sure...

On an unrelated note, I told my mom that I was planning on getting a safe, and she rolled her eyes and said do whatever you want. She apparantly views anything gun related as a waste of money, even if it's something designed to keep the guns from getting stolen. (Which would REALLY be a waste of money, IMO)
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 6:51:53 AM EDT
[#27]
I just want to tell you guys that have a set of big booming speakers in your car and get them stolen. What better advertisement can there be to a thief to break into your car? When you drive around playing that loud music its the same as saying "look at me and what I have". Don't get me wrong. You have the freedom to have that stuff, but It's just something to think about.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 6:57:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I just want to tell you guys that have a set of big booming speakers in your car and get them stolen. What better advertisement can there be to a thief to break into your car? When you drive around playing that loud music its the same as saying "look at me and what I have". Don't get me wrong. You have the freedom to have that stuff, but It's just something to think about.
View Quote

I agree, but please understand, new cars have better factory stereos than what I had stolen. This was not your average "boom car." I had two 5"x7" speakers, one in each front door, and 1 10" subwoofer behind the rear seat. I doubt that the outside noise level was any higher than the average factory stereo with 4 speakers, let alone the new ones with 7+. Besides, I listen to Yanni...Orchestras have bass too, ya know.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 7:33:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I listen to [red]Yanni[/red]...
View Quote

Obviously, they were just breaking in to your car and removing your stereo to prevent you from playing that crap![:D]

I've had my car broken into once, but only lost a few CDs and a CD player.  It sucks.  They broke a window and that was the biggest hassle.  When I filed the police report, they recommended leaving the vehicle unlocked as to prevent extra damage next time.[rolleyes]

Car alarms are fairly useless,  they usually break in, steal your stuff, and leave before your could react.  Any people just ignore car alarms that aren't their own.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 5:36:09 AM EDT
[#30]
OKAY, the guns now have an official home. I got an 8-gun safe last night, and promptly bolted it to the wall. It's not one of those expensive fireproof ones, but I think it's certainly better than not having one at all. It has two anti-drill cam locks, each activating 2 bolts, for a total of 4.

I don't usually see pictures of people's safes. Is that considered a no-no?
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 6:14:12 AM EDT
[#31]
I am always amazed at the people in the world who think their car is a vault, ie: $3000.00 dollars of CD's in it, whatever. No sorrow here my friend. A 1000.00 GPS unit, expensive sub woofers, what were you thinking. If it is in a car it can be taken, and usually is.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 7:24:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Johnphin, sorry about your breakin.I used to be in the mobile electronics biz years back and have close friends that are still in.Someone KNEW what was in your vehicle .The same has happened to me, let it be a learning experience and let it pass, otherwise it will eat you up.Leave NOTHING in your car.If you replace your sound system, do it in a way that it does not attract attention and don't show it off.Many of my customers paid for bad ass sound systems only to be stolen.Good Luck.BTH
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 7:40:21 AM EDT
[#33]
When I lived in a different city a few years back some scumbags tried to steal my stereo system from my car. I lived on the top floor of a 2 story apt building and my bedroom window overlooked the spot on the street where I parked. About 3AM a friend that lived in the next building down called and awoke me telling me that 2 guys in a Blazer were trying to break into my car. I retrieved the Maglight and Remington 740 semi auto in .30-06(no AR back then and my only other choices were a shotgun and pistols) from the closet and quietly opened the window. Holding the rifle from the window pointed at the ground I yelled "Can I help you guys find something?" "Fuck!" the guy standing by the back of my Mazda screamed. The guy under the car got up and they ran for the Blazer. The driver took off while the second guy was still trying to get in and he busted his ass. They had not yet got into my car and they left their tools behind.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 11:56:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Buy a damn safe before you do anything else. Do it with the insurance money from your car.
View Quote

There will not be an insurance claim. Anyone with an aftermaket stereo knows that all that good stuff is covered under your HOMEOWNERS insurance. Unless you specifically added the items to your car insurance. The fact that he had no alarm suggests to me he did not insure the extra stereo stuff either. And I doubt the value of the items is worth the filing of the claim.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 12:17:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
As for being inside the house, I don't have a safe.

(Also, it's *VERY* rare for no one to be home (my mom is retired)...usually, there's at least one person here, although the house is empty on occasion)
View Quote

How old are you and why do you still live with your parents?!?!

Also, I think it's cool you peeled your finger off.  I didn't know it was so easy to change your finger prints!!!  In this state, with assholes like Chuck Schumer getting elected, we are supposed to be fingerprinted like child molestors before we can buy a handgun.  It'd be nice to be able to change fingerprints so easily!  So be consolated by the fact that [b]the man[/b] no longer has your prints!

You need to count your blessings!

-Nick Viejo.

-Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 12:49:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
As for being inside the house, I don't have a safe.

(Also, it's *VERY* rare for no one to be home (my mom is retired)...usually, there's at least one person here, although the house is empty on occasion)
View Quote

How old are you and why do you still live with your parents?!?!

Also, I think it's cool you peeled your finger off.  I didn't know it was so easy to change your finger prints!!!  In this state, with assholes like Chuck Schumer getting elected, we are supposed to be fingerprinted like child molestors before we can buy a handgun.  It'd be nice to be able to change fingerprints so easily!  So be consolated by the fact that [b]the man[/b] no longer has your prints!

You need to count your blessings!

-Nick Viejo.

-Nick Viejo.
View Quote

I'm 22. My parents said that my fiance and I could live here until we finish school, since UTA is within a 30 minuite drive, that way we wont have to pay for a dorm or apartment.

Since the CD-Player and GPS was bolted down, the insurance company said that they would just go ahead and send me new ones (better models, even, at least as far as the GPS in concerned). We only had a $50 deductable, and we went through that just having the window fixed, so the there was no real reason not to file for the rest.

The amp/subwoofer and cell phone were covered by homeowners, and the deductable for that is $250. Since the amp/subwoofer was worth about $300, and the cell phone is arguably free, it's probably not worth the time to file a claim, especially since I'm not particularly interested in replacing the amp and subwoofer. I'm working on a deal to get a replacement phone w/o filing a claim.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 1:16:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Here's pictures, first of the safe, then the finger:

[img]http://www.mortgagepoodle.com/pics/safe1.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.mortgagepoodle.com/pics/safe2.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.mortgagepoodle.com/pics/finger.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 5/18/2003 4:12:54 AM EDT
[#38]
A few suggestions for you. It appears that you are not living in an apartment or a condo, which is good. Keep in mind that a .223 round could possibly kill a neighbor, or a child due to over penetration. I'd suggest, esp. since your better half preferes a long gun, a 20 ga. shotgun. Something like the Remington LT1100. 20ga is the equivelent of two .38 slugs. It's cheaper than an AR so if it would get stolen, you wouldn't be as heartbroken. More importantly, there is less chance that it will exit the house or an interior wall and kill an innocent person i.e. mom. Plus it's simpler to operate under stress.

Second suggestion, Ebay! If you need to raise some funds for stuff, clean out you closets, garage, etc. and sell the stuff on Ebay. You'd be suprised what sells and what you can get for it. I've sold my old Levis, baseball caps, crap & clutter that I've had taking up space since I was a kid. I've bought a Glock 19, a Winchester 1200, a pre-ban AR, a Bushmaster AR, two other AR's, a Trijicon Reflex, Surefire lite, dozens of mags, and a bunch of other gun stuff from my Ebay funds. If you haven't used it in a year, sell it.

Good job on the safe! Keep anything of value in there including your important papers, jewelry. Store your ammo inside if there is room. I'd recommend that you put the safe in a closet, out of site. If you can't, toss a throw over it to disguise it and put a lamp on top.

Finally, when you can afford it, before you buy any more guns, invest in some training, good training. Being in TX, you have one of the best schools in your backyard, Thunder Ranch. If you can afford a vacation in the future, make that your vacation destination for you and the little lady. 3 days to a week will make a difference in your lives. Remember, the wife is your backup.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 4:38:33 AM EDT
[#39]
"subwoofer"........that tells me something.

I followed a "ghetto queen" into the parking lot after she paid for 2 carts full of groceries with her welfare card.

Yep, she got into a "lowered" Suburban!!!
There was more $ in tires and wheels than I've spent on guns in the last year.

"Times are tough" right?

Not in the Ghetto!
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 5:50:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Usually I listen to the Moody Blues or Yanni.
View Quote

Oh! Well, thank God somebody stole your car-stereo. Yanni + subwoofer? You are weird.

Most of the time, I'm listening to AM talk radio. I feel more educated that way.
View Quote

Oh my. And checking out the latest issue of the National Inquirer qualifies as "I read a lot!"?

;)

Just pestering you, nothing is meant seriously. About the same time last year somebody ran away with my Kenwood CD-player.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 6:58:14 AM EDT
[#41]
This is more of an administration deal than cops deal, but kiss all the equipment goodbye.  You are better off buying a few lottery tickets than to fill out a police report.  The police report is a waste of time.

Cops are out there mainly to get $$ for the city and state.  Catching thieves is a low priority, if not zero priority.  Don't mistake this for a cop bash, they have their orders from above.

Sorry about your losses Johnphin, same thing happened to me a few times, a coulpa times in good neighborhoods as well.  I know how you are feelin and feel for ya.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 7:16:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 9:06:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Here's pictures, first of the safe, then the finger:

[img]http://www.mortgagepoodle.com/pics/finger.jpg[/img]

View Quote

Paging all moderators!!  [b]Johnphin[/b] is giving me the finger.  Doesn't this count as a flame/personal attack?  Punish him!  [;)]

-Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 11:05:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
"subwoofer"........that tells me something.

I followed a "ghetto queen" into the parking lot after she paid for 2 carts full of groceries with her welfare card.

Yep, she got into a "lowered" Suburban!!!
There was more $ in tires and wheels than I've spent on guns in the last year.

"Times are tough" right?

Not in the Ghetto!
View Quote

I hear ya. I got that back when I felt like I could spend money, but, I seriously doubt that I will be wanting to replace it any time soon. IIRC, I got that before I was even interested in guns... [BD]

To all of those people who bash subwoofers based on principle, I think you are either sterotyping or just not thinking it through. When you go to an acoustic orchestra concert, there's bass there. Sure, there are people who go around with the bass drowning out the rest of the music. However, I seriously doubt that you will find anyone who appreciates quality music complaining about enough bass to make something sound realistic.

As for the .223 overpenetration issue, come again? Isn't M193 considered a frangible round within 50 yards? I was under the impression that it penetrated about as much as a shotgun, and far less than a handgun? I would really like to get to the bottom of this, as I've heard some conflicting things.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 3:45:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
As for the .223 overpenetration issue, come again? Isn't M193 considered a frangible round within 50 yards? I was under the impression that it penetrated about as much as a shotgun, and far less than a handgun? I would really like to get to the bottom of this, as I've heard some conflicting things.
View Quote

It definately is not a frangible round. It is a jacketed lead bullet, ball ammo. A round striking the pelvic bone or center of mass MAY stay in the victim, a round striking sheet rock will keep on going. In fact, I've seen ball ammo drill the prettiest little holes in steel at close range. When you have that much velocity behind that tiny of a bullet, strange things happen, like 2x4's going thru a palm tree in a hurricane. All you have in your home is sheetrock and very dry 2x4's, the likelyhood of that stopping a M193 projectile is slim. Pick up some scrap lumber, an old Sears catalog, and a big pot roast and take it to the range and do some ballistic experiments at the ranges you'd expect to encounter a threat. You'll get an idea as to what to expect. IN an ideal world, bullets would always strike the threat, but under stress, we're lucky to get a round into the threat.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 4:05:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
along with my tail gate.
View Quote

tailgate?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top