Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2002 11:28:12 AM EDT
I have an assortment of stout knives, but after reviewing a couple movie moves with tomahawks it seems there is a bit more to be had with  hawk. Any favorites' out there?
Lebrew
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 5:59:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm glad I'm not the only one to get the Tomahawk bug!

I'm doing some mods on my current tomahawk and I'm not done yet.  I still need to strip the paint off the head and blue it and finish honing the cutting edges properly.

I chose the Vietnam style becasue it's bit shorter, lighter and faster then the standard throwing style hawks.  It's designed for fast and dirty CQB[}:D] and I don't like the idea of throwing my weapons and possibly loosing them.

I'm saving up for an American Tomahwk version so now I've got another expensive hobbie...[:D]

Here's how it looked out of the box.

[img]http://a1.cpimg.com/image/01/CE/11712001-1469-01800200-.jpg[/img]

Here's how it looks now as my "Fighting Hawk and Knife Combo" the tomahawk is a Cold Steel Vietnam Hawk and the knife is a SOG Desert Dagger.

[img]http://a9.cpimg.com/image/09/CE/11712009-768d-02000180-.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 8/2/2002 7:50:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks pretty wicked.At one time Cold Steel made a spiked hawk, but now i can only find one with the hammer end. I like the way the head is  slid up the shaft to fit securely close to the top. I ve seen some Vietnam styles that look like the head would fly off once it was worn a bit. The American Hawks are outrageously expensive,but the Damascus steel is appealing.
I wonder how they made them it in the 1800's from a rail road spike?
Lebrew
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 9:37:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Lebrew,

You are right about some of the Vietnam style heads getting loose.  A buddy of mine has a no name model and his got loose after about a week of heavy use.  I beat the crap out of the one you see pictured above.  I chopped some cinder blocks with it and used it for digging, chopped old hard dried wood and even threw it into larger trees.  I missed a bunch too... [:)]

So far it has held up really well and is still tight as when I got it.  I did notice this model used two wedges instead of one on top of the shaft.  I wonder if that's what made the difference.

The ATC's do seem pricey but I think I'll be getting one in the future.

In the meantime for some good inexpensive hawks try HB Forge at [url]http://www.hbforge.com/tomahawks.html[/url].

Later!
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 1:16:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Take a look at RMJForge.com
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 7:14:58 PM EDT
[#5]
VAShooter,

The RMJ Forge stuff is awesome but you can't get them.  I'm not even sure what the wait time is anymore.  If they ever start stocking them regularly I might pickup a Eagle Talon![:D]
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 7:24:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I bet I can find a place in India or Pakistan to make some decent heads at a fair price.
350 is a lot of money for a "handmade" that is really a forging. Coldsteel has a hammerback I should be getting it from Widners in a few days.
Lebrew
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 7:39:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I use these:

[img]http://www.varmouries.com/weapons/pics/va_m045.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 8:32:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Get a gun .

They work better .

[x][x]
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 8:46:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 8:54:15 AM EDT
[#10]
AR_Rifle:  I think lebrew is inquiring about business, not pleasure.  [;D]

-White Horse
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 4:17:18 PM EDT
[#11]

I have one of those SOG SEAL2000 knives.  

It is one huge chunk of evil-looking steel.  1lb., 12"long, 1/4" thick blade base.

I like it.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 4:23:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I have an RMJForge Eagle Talon....
IF you go to the site and look at the pic youl see one that has "semper fi" engraved that one went to my best friend the one with the all micarta handle went to my brother in law and the one with the cord/micarta handle is mine I love it worth the $350 and the 2 month wait.....
Great for camping and as a last ditch weapon
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top