BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2004 3:07:21 AM EDT
Even this 60 yr old woman wrestled one!

news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=15751

Woman wrestles croc to rescue camper
17:51 AEST Mon Oct 11 2004

A 60-year-old woman jumped on the back of a four-metre crocodile as it dragged a man from his tent near a beach in far north Queensland.

The crocodile let go of the man but then turned on the woman, pulling her towards the water before another person shot dead the killer reptile, said wildlife officers.

Authorities said the two were lucky to survive the dramatic attack, which took place at 4am (AEST) Monday as they slept at Kalpower Holding at Bathurst Bay, nearly 300km north-west of Cairns and near Lakefield National Park.

The injured pair was evacuated by helicopter and flown to Cairns Base Hospital, where the woman was being treated for a broken arm and cuts and bruises and the man for a broken arm, a broken leg and injuries to his body.

Royal Flying Doctor Service public affairs manager Stephen Pemberthy said the 34-year-old man was asleep in a tent with his wife and baby, about 50 metres from the water's edge, when the 4.2m crocodile attacked.

A 60-year-old woman camped nearby saw the reptile dragging the man by his legs and jumped on to its back.

advertisement
"She was also camping there and she saw what was happening and she jumped on the croc," Mr Pemberthy said.

Tackled by the woman, the crocodile let go of the man and grabbed her instead, dragging her towards the water.

She was saved when a third person, who has yet to be identified, shot the crocodile dead.

Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service (QPWS) northern regional service director Clive Cook said the campers had managed to set off a rescue beacon, capturing the attention of the QPWS who were in the area eradicating wild pigs.

A QPWS helicopter went to the site and evacuated the pair, stabilising them at the ranger station at Lakefield National Park while alerting the Royal Flying Doctor Service (RFDS).

The RFDS then flew them to the Cairns Base Hospital just before 12pm (AEST) Monday.

"[The victims suffered] mostly fractured limbs and they were pretty luckily basically," Dr Charles Ellis, of the RFDS, told ABC radio.

Mr Cook said a fly-by of the area had confirmed the crocodile was dead.

QPWS northern region conservation services manager Dr Mark Read said the area where the attack occurred was a remote site.

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:09:14 AM EDT
[#1]
They shot it, wonder if they are going to end up in trouble for that
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:12:50 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
They shot it, wonder if they are going to end up in trouble for that

Doubt it.  Salties get killed if they attack a person usually IIRC.

Out there in the sticks they dont care as much about the firearms regulations.

The QPWS people would have had rifles too.  They shoot the pigs from helicopters sometimes
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:34:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Hey, Fifty, please answer a question I've had for a while.  What do Austrailians really think of Steve Irwin?  I've heard he's considered kind of a dork there.  True?
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:38:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Jeez you got some bloody hard Sheilas in Aus!

Andy
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:43:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Gee I guess guns do have there place.

Kudos to that woman! Damn brave girl if you ask me.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:50:17 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Hey, Fifty, please answer a question I've had for a while.  What do Austrailians really think of Steve Irwin?  I've heard he's considered kind of a dork there.  True?

Hes bloody annoying.  Nobody acts like him or speaks like him here.  We all do our dumbarse steve irwin imitations.

I dont think hes even on tv anymore.

He does well to promote tourism though.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:57:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Major Les Hiddins…aka 'The Bush Tucker Man'… now he's the man!

Teaches survival to  the Aussie Army and SAS, bit of a hero in Vietnam too from what I hear.

ANdy
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:02:15 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Major Les Hiddins…aka 'The Bush Tucker Man'… now he's the man!

Teaches survival to  the Aussie Army and SAS, bit of a hero in Vietnam too from what I hear.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/macandy/BushTuckerMan.jpg

ANdy

Hes a bloody legend!  I used to watch him on TV as a kid!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top