Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2013 4:54:52 PM EDT
I find these pistols interesting due to the price.   I like the idea of the zippy 7.62 but I have some concerns on being able to pick it up reasonably.  Looks like .45ACP prices.  Is the round dead and should I consider one of these in 9mm?  I've heard the 9mm shoots low.  

Anyone have one of these?  

Any insight onto the long term viability of 7, 62 Tokarev?

Link Posted: 10/19/2013 4:57:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I find these pistols interesting due to the price.   I like the idea of the zippy 7.62 but I have some concerns on being able to pick it up reasonably.  Looks like .45ACP prices.  Is the round dead and should I consider one of these in 9mm?  I've heard the 9mm shoots low.  

View Quote

The 7,62 will Go thru a 2A vest....whats not to like..
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 4:58:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Finding ammo is the only concern and I have 9mm.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 4:59:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That it will.  But it is not known for its stopping power.  9mm is better with proper ammo.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 4:59:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Get both!
Its the only way.

ETA: I have one with a 38 super convers barrel.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 5:03:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I was fortunate to pick up some of the com-bloc surplus 7.62x25 when it was plentiful and cheap. One thing that may or may not be important to you is that much of the mil-surp 7.62x25 ammunition fired from a pistol will penetrate level IIIA soft body armor.

More and more you read of bad guys wearing body armor.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 5:04:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I sold 90% of my Tokarevs when ammo went sky high. I wouldn't really want one in 9mm, but they are extremely skinny and fun to shoot. There is probably still lots of Tokarev ammo out there, but multiple importers need to bring it in. Century Arms brought a little in recently, but without competition, it's still sky high.

There was a time when my Tokarev was my go to handgun, over my Colt 1911, Glocks,  CZ-75s, ect. However, that was because ammo was so cheap that I was shooting a tin each week, and could consistently shoot pop cans at 30+ yards each shot.

You kind of missed the boat.

The Yugo M-57 had nice beautiful bluing, holds 9, and seems nicer overall, but I shot a beat up Romanian Tokarev better. Easiest pistol to conceal that I've had. What are they, 1/3 the width of a Glock?
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 5:10:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Get both!
Its the only way.

ETA: I have one with a 38 super convers barrel.
View Quote

I want both but my wallet is making me choose one.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 5:13:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I sold 90% of my Tokarevs when ammo went sky high. I wouldn't really want one in 9mm, but they are extremely skinny and fun to shoot. There is probably still lots of Tokarev ammo out there, but multiple importers need to bring it in. Century Arms brought a little in recently, but without competition, it's still sky high.

There was a time when my Tokarev was my go to handgun, over my Colt 1911, Glocks,  CZ-75s, ect. However, that was because ammo was so cheap that I was shooting a tin each week, and could consistently shoot pop cans at 30+ yards each shot.

You kind of missed the boat.

The Yugo M-57 had nice beautiful bluing, holds 9, and seems nicer overall, but I shot a beat up Romanian Tokarev better. Easiest pistol to conceal that I've had. What are they, 1/3 the width of a Glock?
View Quote

I see some surplus going for the same ppr as single box stuff.    I guess I missed the boat on the round.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 5:14:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought 7.5k rds before I even had a gun for it. I have 2 T33's, 1 CZ52, 1 PPS43
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 5:14:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Glad I bought a couple of cases when it was cheap.

Worse comes to worst, you can turn .223 brass into 7.62 tok brass.   Though I think you might have to ream it out a little.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 5:17:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I bought 7.5k rds before I even had a gun for it. I have 2 T33's, 1 CZ52, 1 PPS43
View Quote

Any stock tips?
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 5:51:50 PM EDT
[#12]
do you really have to ask?
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 5:53:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Got a cz52 in the safe with the stock Tok barrel and an extended / threaded 9mm barrel,... Got both?
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 6:03:30 AM EDT
[#14]
I went with the yugo m88a in 9mm  that I found for $200.  

Ill be on the lookout for 7.62 ammo deals and get a Tokarev as well.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 6:09:20 AM EDT
[#15]
there are so many firearms coming into the country in 7.62x25 that I don't think it will become unobtainium once the surplus dries up. PP and SB both make new rounds in the caliber though they are slightly pricey. Winchester makes it too, but I have not seen any in a long time.

Love the round though, I have been meaning to pickup a PPS 43 to go with my Tokarev.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 6:26:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Worse comes to worst, you can turn .223 brass into 7.62 tok brass.   Though I think you might have to ream it out a little.
View Quote

+1

And it was cheap for a long time, years in fact.  AIM Surplus had sealed surplus Romanian 1224 round spam cans forever at $120 + shipping.  Dan's Ammo had sealed crates (2 cans) of this ammo at one point and I snagged one of those for historical collecting purposes.

There was a lot of Yugo surplus that came in as well.  It was priced a little higher but it is beautiful ammo.  Prvi Partisan and S&B non-corrosive ammo used to be very reasonably priced and I got a stash of that as well.

The round will be around for a long time but new production will be expensive.  If there is any lead-core stocks in Russia, there may be surplus coming in from there if there is ever a change in what ammo/arms Russia will export.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 6:52:13 AM EDT
[#17]
They are really an under rated gun. I have a 1950 Russian, 1964 Norinco (bringback) and picked up a 1967 Norinco at the last gun show for $125. I still have about 1500 rounds of surplus. You can shoot  7.63 Mauser
in them and reload using .30 cal M1 carbine bullets.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 8:12:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Slightly different casehead diameter, and the .223 brass would have to be fireformed to the chamber, after it is trimmed to length and run through a full length sizing die.  Winchester brass for .223Rem apparently has the thinnest walls, so it would allow the largest powder charge and have better odds of not having to ream the neck after forming.

I've never bought any of the surplus, but I have a stack of unopened boxes of new Starline brass (and a pile of once fired brass).  I've also got some Winchester brand .223Rem brass set aside to make 7.62x25 brass out of, as a step toward making .22 Reed Express brass out of it.

Besides a CZ52, I've got a 16" AR upper and a 10" AR pistol upper in 7.62x25.  A 16" upper in .22 Reed Express has been on the 'to do' list for a while.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 4:47:13 PM EDT
[#19]

My Norinco Tokarev came with 2 barrels (7.62 & 9mm) and 4 mags, so I got both!!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top