Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2002 1:26:38 PM EDT
[url]www.lileks.com/screed/college.html[/url]

Beginning partway down the article which is certain to anger many in here, but:
[i]American students intensely and overwhelmingly disagree with the statement that Western culture is superior to Arab culture. Only 16% believe Western culture is superior to Arab culture but 79% do not.[/i]

A. Essay question. Two choices: life as an gay atheist in Fargo North Dakota, or life as a Christian gay in Riyadh. Write 1,000 words describing how each faces equal hardship. If your essay contains less than 1000 words, you will either be docked one grade or have your left hand removed with an ornately engraved scimitar, depending on which morally-equal culture the teaching assitant wishes to consult.
View Quote
Much more.  Please read and comment!
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 5:42:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 5:55:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 6:00:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 6:40:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I read Lileks most every day - he is one of the better bloggers in my view.

Of particular note is his essay ripping apart a British newspaper and their reporter for a condescending story on rural America - Alabama in particular, and on American chain restaurants.

The concluding paragraphs -

“Here’s the deal: we don’t need your support. But understand that if Iraqis had flown planes into Big Ben, we’d take out Saddam, because we understand that an attack on you is an attack on us. The West is not defined by Belgian edicts on acceptable levels of tomato sauce viscosity. The West is a set of ideas that need defending. Forgive us our passable wines; forgive our standardized veal. Forgive us our simple-mindedness, for we - from Alabama on outward to outer, distant Alabama and beyond - have a gut feeling that “quarrels” usually boil down to two sides. Forgive us for believing that fascism's side ought to lose.

And if we seem arrogant when it comes to beating fascism, forgive us once more, for we have something you don’t.

Practice. “

[url=http://www.lileks.com/screed/olivegarden.html] Notes from the Olive Garden[/url]

Mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top