Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2004 8:51:56 PM EDT
A question.

I've recently enlisted in the US Army and asked my recruiter out of curiousity, if by some chance I end up being deployed to a combat zone (Iraq or the like), if I would be allowed to bring my personally owned weapon ACCESSORIES, not weapons.  (Surefire light, ACOG, CQB Solutions sling) and got a firm NO. He explained a few reasons why (The main reason he gave me was that should I be injured fatally, SOMEONE now has my stuff, which I personnally don't think I'd give a damn about if I was dead, at least I knew I had my good gear trying to prevent it) and that was the end of that discussion.

Now, I see you military guys on here talking about bringing your own gear (weapon related, tactical gear and so on) on deployments all the time, how do you do it?

I'm confused here....
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 8:55:37 PM EDT
[#1]
maybe he was just tring fdor you NOT to bring personal weapons.. I know you said acc's but when packing that surefire you might be tempeted to put in JUST ONE gun..

besides if your his lips were moving ... he was lying anyway
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 8:59:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Lots of guys do it. In many combat units, it is reportedly the norm. Talk to your superiors when you get to your unit, they will tell you what the rules are and which will be enforced. Any officer with a brain will do everything in his power to increase the units effectiveness.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 8:59:39 PM EDT
[#3]
The recruiter is full of shit. Bring all the accessories you want. Just pack them in your duffle bag. No problem.

TC
FOB Summerall, Iraq
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:03:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I took a shitload of stuff over with me, and got alot more sent while I was there.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:15:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Its up to your chain of command.  I would imagine most accessories wouldn't be a problem.  Alot of guys in my squad have non-issue slings, gloves, eye protection, and some other shit.  I really don't see a surefire or anything being a problem (unless you make a habit of using it in a way that gives away your position).

Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:16:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for clearing it up

I don't mind my recruiter too much (considering the BS'ing reputation they have), but I figured he has never seen anything resembling combat since basic, and had no clue.

So the best thing is to leave my shit home for OSUT, and have them shipped once I get to my duty station?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top