Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 7/11/2008 3:13:21 PM EDT
I bought a new set of Goodyear Assurance TripleTreds from TireRack just a few weeks ago and logged less than 50 miles on them. I just noticed that on one of the tires, there appears to be a molding issue where there's a "slit" in the sidewall right before the tread blocks meet the sidewall. The reason I suspect it is a molding issue is that the edges of the slit are "porous" and not clean cut like from a gash. I dug into it slightly with my fingernail and it doesn't look deep enough to show cords or steel belts.

Should I be worried?
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 3:35:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By metroplex:
I bought a new set of Goodyear Assurance TripleTreds from TireRack just a few weeks ago and logged less than 50 miles on them. I just noticed that on one of the tires, there appears to be a molding issue where there's a "slit" in the sidewall right before the tread blocks meet the sidewall. The reason I suspect it is a molding issue is that the edges of the slit are "porous" and not clean cut like from a gash. I dug into it slightly with my fingernail and it doesn't look deep enough to show cords or steel belts.

Should I be worried?

Pics please.
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 4:35:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By KirkP:

Originally Posted By metroplex:

Should I be worried?

Pics please.

In addition to posting pics here, maybe sending some off to Goodyear might not be a bad idea.
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 3:40:47 AM EDT

I sent the photo to TireRack since that is where I bought the tire. There's a 80,000 mile treadlife warranty and no time limit for the workmanship. However I suspect they will consider it damage from a road hazard or some BS.
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 3:49:42 AM EDT
Goodyear owes you a new tire.
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 9:48:19 AM EDT
You need to get that warrantied. I would have given it to you back in my tire days (so long as you were cool about it) and I was a stickler.
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 9:53:34 AM EDT
I think I'd have to see it in person to make the call. I've never seen a tire defect that looks like that, but I have seen road hazard damage that looked like that. Could go either way.
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 3:45:13 PM EDT
Thanks. I'm awaiting TireRack's response. Here's a better pic of the gash:

Link Posted: 7/12/2008 4:27:33 PM EDT
That is a good picture.

I hope it works out for you.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 12:26:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/22/2008 12:26:42 PM EDT by metroplex]
They said it was a road hazard and not warrantable, so I'm stuck with a new tire at 50% off but the old tire was only 30 miles old. After a huge run-around given by Goodyear AND Tire Rack, I am not impressed. FYI, the Assurance TT supposedly have a 30-day test drive policy, 80,000 mile treadlife warranty, and 1 year free replacement for workmanship. However, if they deem it is a road hazard type damage, everything goes out the window. I still call bullshit that it is road hazard damage.

Bottom line: Goodyear is sh*t, tire warranties are useless, and TireRack has lost a customer. I will no longer buy anything from Goodyear and Tirerack, including their subsidiaries which isn't hard to do, considering Goodyear makes the shittiest tires and I only tried the TT's based on a lot of positive feedback.
Top Top