Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2008 12:28:48 AM EDT
Tip cups at sandwich shops now. Subway and Port of Subs in my area. For WHAT! Oooo thanks for sprinkling that lettuce on with such skill.
Then today I got take out from Chilli's and the guy who did nothing more than ring me up and hand me a bag of food wanted a tip. The total was like $44 and I hand him $50. He askes me if I want the change, like he's already figured that would be his. I said, 'yea, you didn't serve me'. Then he gave me the change counting it back real slow and careful like I was being a cheapskate and he wanted me to get every last penny.
Chilli's is a decent place and had I gone in and had a full sit down meal I would tip. I always tip at least 15% or a lot more if I know we were a PITA. But hell, a woman took my order over the phone, I maybe tied her up for 45 seconds. And then the guy that rang me up I tied up for maybe 30 seconds. Who in that equation deserves a tip and why.

Entitlement Society

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:32:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Eh, there a sandwich shop a few blocks from my office that I visit regularly.  The employees are all local HS and college kids that are in there working and not out being douchebags.  I don't mind throwing some extra their way every once in awhile.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:34:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Fuck 'em. I don't get paid twice for doing my job.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:36:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Well personally I think that it might be good to tip the person that is actually making your food (like Subway) than some dude or chic that just brings it out to you.

I mean if you think about it Subway acts as a surrogate wife for you making your sammich. If you were to be stingy with your wife she would take half your stuff, the least you can do is give the poor kid behind the counter a buck.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:37:44 AM EDT
[#4]
There is a local Chinese restaurant that I frequent on occasion. They have a tip jar that I've been wondering if customers feel obligated to contribute to.

They don't serve drinks, or anything worthy of tipping.

Just point to the number on the menu and they cook it up, put in bag and tell you "thank you"

Is that deserving of a tip? Just doing their job?

I wonder every time I see it.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:46:18 AM EDT
[#5]
If I frequent a place, I'll tip and as a result usually get more/better chow. There's a local sub place I've been going to for years, and I get a pretty good discount on whatever I get - the rest of the normal price goes into the tip jar.
People that think they're entitled to a tip for handing something over? Fuck them.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:49:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I tip frequently at a local mama and papa bagel shop near my apartments, simply because I love the place and hate to see them closed down due to bigger businesses (e.g. They are building a lot of Einstein Bagels in the area, which suck ass).

After a while, I noticed they no longer charge me for coffee. Ever. It's pretty nice.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:50:51 AM EDT
[#7]
F*ck Tipping
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:46:49 AM EDT
[#8]
When they ask"Do you want your change" the correct reply is"I do now Bitch and I would also like to see your manager." I waited tables for years and always brought thier change back. What they are doing is asking for a tip, not earning one. I have stiffed several good servers just because they asked for thier tip.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:24:21 AM EDT
[#9]
You live in Phoenix?  I have a great place to recommend you check out to eat
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:27:31 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
F*ck Tipping

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:28:38 AM EDT
[#11]
I dont tip at subway/fastfood type places, but if it is a sitdown type place that I am getting carryout at, I will tip. I usually wait for my order at the bar with a beer or two anyway.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:29:15 AM EDT
[#12]
All they are doing is taking your order and getting it for you. I don't tip at McDonalds or Burker King so I don't tip at place like that. I will tip at curbside takeaway, but maybe only 10%, because they are bringing the food to my car.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:32:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:44:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Who exactly would you be tipping at Subway, anyhow? The person that so skillfully sliced your bread? The well trained individual who put the pre-measured packets of meat and cheese on the bread? The super disciplined pivot-man doing the veggies-that you've only had to repeat your request of "Lettuce, onions, olives and pickles" to 5 times? Or the virtuoso whose application of mustard and vinegar managed to leave spots inside the sandwich completely dry while coating the outside with oil and mayo?

Or is your gratuity going to the leader of the group-the register operator. Quickly and fairly accurately touching the pictograms which dictate what your one of a kind sub gets charged as, this is obviously the senior person of the team...

Seriously-I'm not tipping someone for making a cup of coffee or making a sandwich. If I haven't been able to order and recieve my food while seated at a table, I'm not paying a tip.

Pizza delivery is different-UNLESS the motherfuckers charge a delivery fee. Then my tip will be just enough to double the fee.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:51:09 AM EDT
[#15]
toss washers in the tip jar
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:58:40 AM EDT
[#16]
i never really thought of tips as customary...
i always give them to reward good service.

the dude that gave you the food doesn't deserve anything, for being a punk.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:04:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top