Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2001 7:51:04 AM EDT
I was forwarded this article, I think it deserves to be read.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SERGEANT TIMOTHY J. MCVEIGH

Someone has to write and article favorable to Sergeant Timothy J. McVeigh as I know some of you, like me, see the good that he did. Guess that someone is going to be me. I'm probably on a bunch of "lists" already, so this "OP-ED" ought to be the icing on the cake.

Yesterday was the anniversary of the Oklahoma City bombing (we'll get to the birthday later). I was not surprised how the victims families wept at their loss on national television. Of course, they blame Sergeant Timothy J. McVeigh for the deaths of their loved ones. I don't.

Now I'm no conspiracy guy here. I believe McVeigh acted alone that day. I don't know how he got the charge to be shaped so well, but absent proof it can't be done, I accept the Ryder Truck was the source of the detonation. And given how flimsy the Murrah Federal Building looked, I'm not surprised it fell down like Jack and Jill.

So let's put the bombing in context: Janet Reno was running wild and in full Gestapo mode. Randy Weaver had been through a fire fight and assassination attempts by the government that left his wife with her head blown clean off while holding her baby. In Waco the government burned children alive in order to save them...a little Clinton style Day Care eh? Fact is only one man had the guts to do something about.

I ranted and raved like a lunatic, but sat safely on my ass. Sergeant Timothy J. McVeigh though was a man of purpose. He knew correctly the courts were not going to punish the government nor it's agents. So he experimented with some explosive mixtures and primers out in the desert and then mixed himself up 7,500 pounds worth in 55 Gallon Drums and then made a very special delivery. The cab of the track filled with smoke from the fuses as he drove up to the building. He  had to be thinking; "I hope I didn't short those fuses any!"

The target was picked with care. Sergeant McVeigh insisted the federal building he selected had at least two offices out of three: the FBI, the BATF or DEA. Murrah had all three. It also had a day care center, that Sergeant McVeigh did not know about. In the end, it's the bad press over dead kids, not the act itself that troubles Americans. Sergeant McVeigh will have to live with that and soon die with that on his conscience.

I am a parent, so I'm not callous, but since the government seems to think every building it owns is about to be blown up, as evidenced by all the security that was in place even back on April 19,.1995, why in the heck did the government put a day care center there? If this was a private industry, and something like this happenned you can bet the law suits would be flying against the company for putting kids in harms way.

Point is, the Murrah Federal Building was not a random target, rather it was on a target list and rose to the top after due reconnaissance. The result? At 9:02am, 19 April 1995 the US Federal Goverment got a wake up call. The message: BACK OFF! And you know what? In large measure they have, at least in terms of sending storm troopers out to kill civilians. Even the Elian Gonzalez fiasco (Reno's final chance to make another ass of herself) was restrained, though the firepower deployed was over the top.

So while one could argue Sergeant McVeigh gave ammunition to Clinton to bash gun owners, Clinton was going to do be on our case anyway. But the one thing we do know ab
Link Posted: 4/21/2001 11:04:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Save the juice, just starve the dude.
Link Posted: 4/21/2001 11:09:48 AM EDT
[#2]
For McVeigh's side of the story read "American Terrorist: Timothy McVeigh and the OKC Bombing".
Link Posted: 4/21/2001 11:17:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Sit him on a barrel of fertilizer and diesel fuel and ignite it. I think it should be televised.
Link Posted: 4/21/2001 11:20:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Open Fire:
I think it should be televised.
View Quote

So does McVeigh.
Link Posted: 4/21/2001 5:57:11 PM EDT
[#5]
On the whole, I hardly think anything positive resulted from the Oklahoma City bombing. Though I did notice Congress got a sudden burst of curiosity about Waco shortly thereafter and held those mock hearings on the issue that had pretty much been already swept under the carpet before that.

But I think there is a grain of truth in saying that McVeigh did something where so many of us did nothing. We all talk about what we'd do if such-and-such agency shows up on our own doorstep. Tim McVeigh saw them not on his own doorstep, but on someone else's. He tried, in his own tragically bumbling way, to stand up for someone other than himself.

Maybe if more of us had taken smaller, more sensible steps after Waco, this one sadly confused fellow would not have felt so compelled to embark single-handedly on such a radical and self-defeating course of action.

Did you ever write your congressman about Waco? Or anything else?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top