Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2006 9:38:03 AM EDT
I have been considering going to the US Army for their helo pilot program(I'm USN).  Spoke with our command career counselor and based on my records and the demand for this billet in the Army, he is pretty much certain I would be picked up for this.  he has faciliated this move for a couple people in his last command and says I would either go with H-60's or Apaches.  Thats where the demand is right now.  I am in an active duty flying billet here in the USN so much of the preliminary qualifications I already have such as flight status, physical, etc.

Pro's  retirement from US Army by age 52, helo pilot(cool factor), RHP, helo pilot(again cool factor).

Cons:  Extended time away from my daughter,  extended time away from my daughter, extended time away from my daughter.

I want this.  But I love the Navy and don't know how I would feel leaving.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:45:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I made the decision to choose a new career path instead of leaving my kids behind.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:18:51 AM EDT
[#2]
How old are you?
How old is your daughter?
Please clarify, what is "extended time away"?
Retirement age if you stay put?

More info needed to really give any advice, to let us weigh pros and cons. Without the details:

IMHO, helocopters are pretty damn easy to bring down. I appreciate what they can do, but I never really thought of them as being safe. I'd seriously consider that aspect, if I had a family and was looking to make it into retirement.

If I was in your shoes, I'd look for money, and forget cool factor. You obviously plan to stay in till retirement, so considering the family, stay as safe as possible while making as much money as possible, in order to provide well back home.

Good luck in whatever you choose, and Thank You.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:14:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Daughter is 9.  Lives with mom.  WCO retirement is significanyly better than E-? after 20.

Daughter has a wonderful support system with my family and would not be neglected in any manner.  As a helo pilot I would be sent to the mideast for at least 1 year and probably repeatedly until my hitch was over..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top