Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2002 12:44:09 PM EDT
What would happen if you set your time machine to the current time.

I'm guess it would get in a loop, and you would start blinking like a strobe light.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 12:46:48 PM EDT
[#1]
You'd intersect yourself, and cause a massive explosion.  The same matter cannot occupy the same space.  Hence, when you reappear in yourself, you'd explode.  Watch Time Cop for a good demonstration of this. Excellent reference flick for the time-enabled scientist on the 'net.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 12:47:08 PM EDT
[#2]
When does school start back?
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 12:47:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't think you would go anywhere in the first place. I think.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 12:47:24 PM EDT
[#4]
In fact, this is the only setting that time machines are known to properly operate.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 12:55:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Question:

Recently there were several episodes of 'sun spot' activity noticed. In the reporting of this, scientists said that the streams of ionized particles were travelling away from the sun at speeds approaching AND exceeding the speed of light! Is this some sort of typo or mistake in reporting?

Doesn't the theory of relativity indicate that as an observer, we should not be able to see any object travelling at the speed of light. We should be able to see the object as it approaches the speed of light, but as the object exceeds the s.o.l., we would no longer be able to see it. Am I correct, in principle at least?
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 12:57:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
In fact, this is the only setting that time machines are known to properly operate.
View Quote

Actually, mine goes forward in time too.  About 1 second/sec.

The kids always ask, "Are we in the future yet?"

After a pause, I reply, "Yes".
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 1:03:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What would happen if you set your time machine to the current time.

I'm guess it would get in a loop, and you would start blinking like a strobe light.
View Quote

Wrong.

If you set a time machine to 1500:00 today, and it worked, YOU in the machine would stay at THAT time, not loop.  Everything you saw would freeze, as you occupy that time only.

Looking at YOU from the outside, you would be visible for that second, then dissappear, as observers would continue through time at the usual rate.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 1:04:55 PM EDT
[#8]
The problem is with the mass of the object. If the object has mass the mass expands as it approaches the speed of light. It would take infinite energy to accelerate a mass to the speed of light(close to 300,000 meters/second) since any mass will become infinitely large at the speed of light. This is the fundamental insight of the simple equivalency: E=M*C^2
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 1:05:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I think I have an extra Flux Capacitor around here somewhere...

Now where is that thing...
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 1:07:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Question:

Recently there were several episodes of 'sun spot' activity noticed. In the reporting of this, scientists said that the streams of ionized particles were travelling away from the sun at speeds approaching AND exceeding the speed of light! Is this some sort of typo or mistake in reporting?

Doesn't the theory of relativity indicate that as an observer, we should not be able to see any object travelling at the speed of light. We should be able to see the object as it approaches the speed of light, but as the object exceeds the s.o.l., we would no longer be able to see it. Am I correct, in principle at least?
View Quote

Actually I believe that Relativity indicates that matter cannot travel at the speed of light at all.  I don't know what these ionized particles are made of, but in theory, only a few different types of particles are able to travel the speed of light.  Whether they truly have mass or not, no one yet knows.

And No.  They cannot be directly observed.  I'm not sure they could be directly observed if they were standing still either.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 1:12:54 PM EDT
[#11]
If you put instant coffee in the microwave, will you go back in time?
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 1:45:01 PM EDT
[#12]
If you look under the temporal inducer, panel 6, PC Board 42 (the one with all of the surface mounted components). Locate jumper number 117 and cut it. This will prevent the temporal causality loop that you specified.

I really don't know why they don't come from the factory like this.

edited to fix grammatical error, and to see how you edit stuff.  [:)]
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 1:51:53 PM EDT
[#13]
When they ban Funshows we can use the time machine to go back to the time where we could buy guns.John McAzzclown will call it the "Time Machine Loophole"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top