Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2006 3:55:28 AM EDT
It's near the end of the month. I have seen more Police cars on the road than I nomally see the rest of the month. I mean no disrespect. They are doing their job. So my question is are there ticket quoatas?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:57:48 AM EDT
[#1]
NO
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:09:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Of course not. They just have "perfomance expectations".
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:09:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:25:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Local PD told us in class years ago they have a ticket quota. 30 tickets or something and you get a free toaster.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:28:34 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
NO

Of course not.  It's a "performance goal".

Before I was promoted to Sgt., mine was 35 moving violations a month.  Equipment violations and "fix it" tickets don't count.

In some places, 35 beans a month is easy, if you know where to fish.  Find the rattiest, nastiest block in your local district and hammer ghetto sleds.  Not only does this usally allow me get my quota out of the way early in the month (seeing as these clowns can't drive to save their lives), it also allows me to get up close and personal with some of my favorite people.  Close enough to peek into their car and see what's what.

Is it profiling?  Only in the sense that I know that Car A belongs to Joe Shitbag, who I know to be on parole with an RDP and Joe isn't usually smart enough to leave his weed at home.

In other, less 'troubled' communities, this means sitting on a busy stretch of road, hammering out speeding tickets to soccer moms and cubicle monkeys on their way to work.  

It takes a special kind of 'normal' person to get a ticket from me.  Usually, they talk themselves into a ticket, when at the onset of the stop, I've in mind to tell them to stop driving like an idiot and have a nice day.

Every cop is different.  Some are just plain traffic bunnies and would write thier own grandmothers.  Others have to literally be threatened with suspension time for failing to meet their "performance goals".  

Sheep
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:32:23 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
It's near the end of the month. I have seen more Police cars on the road than I nomally see the rest of the month. I mean no disrespect. They are doing their job. So my question is are there ticket quoatas?

"Objection your honor asked and answered"
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:32:55 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
NO

Of course not.  It's a "performance goal".

Before I was promoted to Sgt., mine was 35 moving violations a month.  Equipment violations and "fix it" tickets don't count.

In some places, 35 beans a month is easy, if you know where to fish.  Find the rattiest, nastiest block in your local district and hammer ghetto sleds.  Not only does this usally allow me get my quota out of the way early in the month (seeing as these clowns can't drive to save their lives), it also allows me to get up close and personal with some of my favorite people.  Close enough to peek into their car and see what's what.

Is it profiling?  Only in the sense that I know that Car A belongs to Joe Shitbag, who I know to be on parole with an RDP and Joe isn't usually smart enough to leave his weed at home.

In other, less 'troubled' communities, this means sitting on a busy stretch of road, hammering out speeding tickets to soccer moms and cubicle monkeys on their way to work.  

It takes a special kind of 'normal' person to get a ticket from me.  Usually, they talk themselves into a ticket, when at the onset of the stop, I've in mind to tell them to stop driving like an idiot and have a nice day.

Every cop is different.  Some are just plain traffic bunnies and would write thier own grandmothers.  Others have to literally be threatened with suspension time for failing to meet their "performance goals".  

Sheep

Those are cool
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:36:57 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
[Those are cool

My recalcitrance once earned me 5 "free" days off.  Of course, telling the Capt he could, respectfully, go get stuffed probably didn't help out either.

40 arrests in a month, 10 of which were felonies, and this douche is carping about my low ticket production.  Jeez.....

Sheep
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:43:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:46:12 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Your captain sounds like a real honest to goodness low level beurocrat.

Tj

He most certainly was.  Justice delayed, however, is sometimes justice served.  Three years after I left Chicago, he got indicited and canned.  His "brother" was on the ghost-payroll over at Public Works.

Sheep
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:46:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Negative
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:54:00 AM EDT
[#12]
I hanve't written a ticket since the first part of November. (and that was for jackass in progress) My traffic stops are mainly to ID drunks.  If you're sober, I cut you loose with a warning and proceed to the next.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:55:22 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
[Those are cool

My recalcitrance once earned me 5 "free" days off.  Of course, telling the Capt he could, respectfully, go get stuffed probably didn't help out either.

40 arrests in a month, 10 of which were felonies, and this douche is carping about my low ticket production.  Jeez.....

Sheep

Insubordination. That would be automatic termination here, not 5 days off. Do not collect $200, do not pass go, just go get your stuff and outta here, no appeals allowed.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:59:04 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Of course not. They just have "perfomance expectations".

exactly.  i had an officer that i know and trust tell me that there are no quotas, but if i traffic officer writes little or no tickets, he's going to have problems.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:05:30 AM EDT
[#15]
I have never done this before, but................
DUPE      
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:07:09 AM EDT
[#16]
I can write as many as I want....
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:17:44 AM EDT
[#17]
It maybe a Dupe. I was just curious.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:23:51 AM EDT
[#18]
In texas, it is illegal for a department to set a quota for citations.   We (dayshift) were told we need to increase our citation count.  So we did.....with warnings.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:32:43 AM EDT
[#19]
I think in real world where crime's a problem there is but in some rural areas such as I live Government has gotten way out of hand.  There's a small town of about 1500 people just northeast of me that has 6 full time officers and a few part timers.  I would guestamate the average home being worth roughly $65K so they're not paying those officers with property taxes only.  The only other revenue generating scheme they have is tickets and possible water/sewer.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:38:24 AM EDT
[#20]
No quota here nor are there any "performance goals" relating to traffic stops/tickets.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:35:04 AM EDT
[#21]
My only quotas are self imposed.  I only work three days a week, my performance goals are one felony booking per week, one DUI arrests per week, plus at least one arrest every shift.
so my monthly "quota" would be a minimum of 4 DUI arrests, 4 Felony bookings, and 16 other arrests.

I do not write speeding or fix-it tickets.  The only tickets i write are for misdemanors (paraphernalia, burg tools, misappropriate found property, petty theft, drive on suspended license, tresspass, drunk in public, controlled substance W/O Rx) or criminal infractions (marijuana, MIP, open container, zero tolerance).
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:08:25 PM EDT
[#22]
The last 15 years or so my Dad was an LEO, he probably wrote less than a ticket a year.  You really had to do something dumb right in front of him.  But a traffic motor officer probably could write tickets all day, with the numbnuts making it easy for him.  We have a couple of intersections in town, that the officers are at most of the time, and I don't think that there is a signal cycle that some bozo doesn't run the light.  And the commuters are no better.  They see the officers there every day and they still run the red lights.

Most traffic officers will tell you they could write tickets all day and they still wouldn't get all the easy ones.

Especially in small towns, how long does it take for the locals to figure out NOT to bend the Vehicle Code?  And if they were bad stops, you don't think the electorate would vote out the council?  
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:13:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Always follow the money.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top