Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/18/2001 11:59:08 AM EDT
I started a thread on "who have you met from this board" and have gotten some suggestion about a convention. I know that there are regional shoots such as; SoCal shoots, TBRS, Ohio bullet fest etc. These are in itself a kind of mini convention.

I wonder how feasible would it be to have an actual convention. In which we can have a mini gun show. Some training or lectures on topics like reloading, self defense, hunting, etc. We can even throw in a shoot. Kinda like our own version of Knob Creek. Hmmmm.......I wonder. It would have to be in a gun friendly state. NV and FL comes to mind. I wonder how hard it would be to get sponsor funds from the gun makers/mfgs. Co-operation with a hotel for the venue and rooms. Hmmmm.....I wonder. Could this be a dream or reality?
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 12:01:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't see where it would hurt to give it a shot. I'll volunteer to help out.
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 12:06:02 PM EDT
[#2]
should be held in Oklahoma City, OK its in the middle of the U.S. and nowhere. plus OK is a fairly shootum up state..
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 12:12:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 12:33:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 12:35:50 PM EDT
[#5]
This kind of thing would draw the attention of the fbi/atf/adl/hci as it would be considered a paramilitary training seminar and everyone attending would be charged with conspiracy to commit terrorist threats.
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 12:40:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds very interesting.  I would definately attend if a all possible and not too far away.
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 12:43:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:
This kind of thing would draw the attention of the fbi/atf/adl/hci as it would be considered a paramilitary training seminar and everyone attending would be charged with conspiracy to commit terrorist threats.
View Quote

So Imbro, can I pencil you in? [;)]
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 12:44:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:
View Quote

That's what makes it so much fun.
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 12:54:05 PM EDT
[#9]
The Arpalooza would have been the perfect  thing for member's to get together. Is their any chance of this being put back together by whoever was heading this up. If so the hard work would already be done, we could all just show up and enjoy. [smoke]
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 1:18:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 1:23:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 1:27:59 PM EDT
[#12]
As a first go round, you could always schedule it to coincide with an already established event, like OCtobers Knob Creek.

But we could ALSO split off into our own deal, with our own schedule of events.

Hey - how about this -

We schedule it for the same time and place as the Annual NRA Meeting, and then we "storm" the place demanding the NRA start supporting RKBA for Sport Utility Rifle Ownners!!!!!

Orlando sounds nice. I have friends that live near there. But then, I'm just being selfish.

[:D]

Someplace central US would probably be the best to maximize attendance.
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 1:28:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 1:30:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Just remember... No smoking 12 hours before flying and no alcohol within 50 feet of the aircraft.

Aviator [img]www.dredgeearthfirst.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 1:37:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 1:39:16 PM EDT
[#16]
HEY!  I'VE GOT A GREAT IDEA!!!

LET'S HAVE IT IN CALIFORNIA!

Okay, maybe not.

I'm in for a convention though!
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 1:39:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Just remember... No smoking 12 hours before flying and no alcohol within 50 feet of the aircraft.

View Quote

Wanna swing by South Carolina???

I don't smoke or drink.

[:D]
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 1:39:37 PM EDT
[#18]
I prefer Purple smoke..

Link Posted: 6/18/2001 1:42:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 1:45:53 PM EDT
[#20]
I prefer the Dallas, Texas area myself but OK City would be great if it would make it easier on other members. Wherever it is we need to make sure that it is an NFA friendly state so we can bring all of our "toys".

Michael
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 1:57:28 PM EDT
[#21]
garandman has a good idea.

[i]"As a first go round, you could always schedule it to coincide with an already established event, like OCtobers Knob Creek."
[/i]

Kentucky is centrally located, except for the far West coast, sorry.  Besides that, I'm going anyway.

Check out this post.  We are from EVERYWHERE.
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=27846[/url]
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 2:05:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Check out this post.  We are from EVERYWHERE.
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=27846[/url]
View Quote

761 members in CA.

While I really don't think a convention in CA is a good idea, we should be able to get a pretty good sized group together.

ROAD TRIP!!!
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 2:14:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Sweet, I've never seen the breakdown of users from each state.  VA is about 8th out of 50. Not too bad.  Looks like TX is #1.  Go figure. lol.

Link Posted: 6/18/2001 2:19:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Add another to the VA column, I didn't list a state.
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 2:21:16 PM EDT
[#25]
vegas baby, vegas.  

steve
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 2:41:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Yes, at Cheetahs in Vegas.
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 2:42:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Vegas seems like a good idea actually.  There are a lot of flights into Vegas for cheap, plus Vegas is C3 freindly so we could bring our favorite toys.  I relize Vegas is pretty far for some of our eastern buddies, but Vegas is always worth the trip.  Although I wouldn't mind seeing my cousin in OK. (and aren't cousins always in OK? [;)])
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 3:03:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Orlando in winter (or early spring) would be great.  

Florida is...

1. Gun friendly state
2. No problem with C3 toys
3. Plenty of outdoor range available
4. Cheap hotels in the area
5. A lot of flights from all over US
6. I'm sure your wife/children would enjoy sunny FL while everybody else is freezing
7. Good weather in winter/early spring
8. I'm only 4 hr drive away

and there are a lot of things to do for rest of the family.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 3:13:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Vegas:

1. Cheetahs
2. Rio Carnival World Buffet
3. Olympic Gardens
4. Rio Seafood Buffet
5. Palimino
6. Free watered down drinks

If you have a family, get the kids fake id's and let them loose.
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 3:15:49 PM EDT
[#30]
I love how each of us says.. come here and and lists the same reasons as everybody else !!!
well I'm in for AZ or Vegas
its got hotels, places to shoot and.....oh yeah heard it already !!!!
I'm in wherever its at. 6 mos. notice sounds cool
[x]
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 3:20:45 PM EDT
[#31]
According to the link and 20 of most members, it would seem like two seperate meets should take place. One near Fl and one in Vegas.
They should be at least one week apart for people that can make both and logistics.
I will offer help organizing any portion.
Maybe in Jan or Feb, after the holidays.
Maybe Rachel and others might find a venue.
We could pay for much with sponsors and admission.
Vegas has many places that could be used.
Maybe Front Sight would host it for free advertisment. Pawrump is a lovely place to spend the night. The Chicken Ranch is my favorite place to unwind.[:)]
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 3:23:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Also, a competition could be standardized and used at both locals. Maybe a team event. State vs state. I know it would be unfair as we Cali shooters are the best, but it would be fun to see who can come in second.[:)]
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 3:26:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Paintgun war?
Males vs females, male are shirts, females are skins.
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 3:29:58 PM EDT
[#34]
I likes tha way you think son...
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 3:31:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Paintgun war?
Males vs females, male are shirts, females are skins.
View Quote

No, no, no.  Females are shirts and males are pants.
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 3:46:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Well, for the same reasons as any other convention, it would be better to have it in a location that has the infrastructure to support a large number of people who will be "moving in" for the weekend.  It must also be a location with direct flights from all over, public (and other) transportation, lodging, food, etc.  Without these, a great many people could not attend.

The suggestion of Vegas makes some sense, though it certainly isn't the only option.  Orlando might be another.  Any of the major "convention cities" meet all of the above requirements.

I'd be thrilled to go, but this would need to be planned at least 6 months in advance, if not longer.  Most of my vacation schedule is filled this year, as is probably true for many who would like to attend.

Still, it's very do-able; we just need to decide to do it.

-Troy
View Quote

Vegas makes a lot of sense since it is probable the most affordable airfare from almost anywhere, and hotels are plentiful and cheap.

Not to mention the fact that Nevada is rather gun friendly, and I always wanted to check out a high priced call girl. [:)]
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 3:54:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Hey, if we can make it happen, I'm in.
Vegas or Florida sounds great!
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 4:01:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Critter, totally off subject here but the call girls (hookers) have business cards put on every light pole in Vegas.  I don't think I'd do that myself but every man for himself...
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 4:52:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Slave 1:
Critter, totally off subject here but the call girls (hookers) have business cards put on every light pole in Vegas.  I don't think I'd do that myself but every man for himself...
View Quote

It HAS to be Vegas, and we can all toss in a ten spot, and get the prettiest and most expensive call girl in all of Vegas to spend the entire night with Imbroglio! How's that? [}:)]

Yeah, I know, she'll want a couple of paper bags, one for him, and one for her in case his rips, but still, we can get that boy a little action for once in his life, and maybe we won't have to read those damned GAW threads anymore. [:)]
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 4:56:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 5:09:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Been there and do this every year. If it too presumptious of me I'll toss out some suggestions.

1. Do not be too ambitious (especially the first year). The work involved in getting people together for a "meet" (not just a one day shoot) is bigger than you think. Instead plan it around a smaller (300 to 500 table) gun show. Lodging and actually meeting the people you came to see at something big like Nob Creek are a problem!

2. Restrict it to members of the board only. The reason for a "meet" (again not a shoot) is to meet the people you have came to know on the board. You do not do that by inviting people whom no one knows from all over the planet and the Internet.

3. Make it centrally located.....Missouri, Arkansas, Oklahoma, etc.....Travel expenses can get expensive in a hurry and will put off a lot of people you would other wise not get to meet.

4. The organizer must live very close to where it will be held! You will be responsible for several things....securing a range, gathering supplies, arranging lodging, etc., etc., etc....

5. Once one person has agreed to take on the work of organizing it start calling motels and campgrounds to dicker for rates. After establising the lowest rates post the number for the lodging and encourage members to stay there. It will save some major bucks for everyone and allow more people to be able to afford to come.....that is your goal.

6. Plan for one entire weekend but expect members from the Wednesday before until at least the Tuesday after. You, the planner, are the host and will be responsible for entertaining these folks for five or six days. Make damn sure they do not run out of food or beer during that time!

7. Plan it for some time late in the summer. Too early and people have early spring plans with family. Avoid holidays. People make family plans, it makes for more difficult air travel and a pain in the ass driving.
Also, you will have college students, parents with kids in scholl and teachers that will want to come that can't during school terms.

8. Give no less than four months advance notice so people can plan their vacations for the meet.

Link Posted: 6/18/2001 5:12:18 PM EDT
[#42]
9. Collect money from those coming. You are the host....you are responible for people being taken care of. Plan on buying beer, soft drinks, tea, food (cook out on at least Friday and Saturday nights), range fees, targets, port-a-potties, big freakin' tent (for shade), barb-b-que grill(s), fold tables/chairs, big fans...yada, yada, yada....don't forget that they will want to eat something in the morning....at the range for lunch and have a cook out in the evening.

10. Set a dead line for collecting the money up front. Those that miss the dead line can not come. People will say they are coming and you will have to get enough supplies to handle that many people. Then half of them will back out. Ever try to take back a hundred pounds of thawed burger meat to the store? Not pretty.
$25 bucks will usually cover everything if you collect up front and plan carefully.

11. You must have a place for the evening cookout that has your port-a-potties, grills, coolers, ice, etc...... Everyone needs a place to meet at the end of the day. You are all there to meet each other that you know from the board and bullshit.....you gotta have a place to do that...the range ain't it!

12. Insist on securing all weapons before the cookout/beer bash. (You will be surprised at how little beer gets consumed. People are more interested in b/sing than drinking.)

13. Do a lot of shopping and plan on spending a great deal of your time prior to the meet getting everything ready.

14. Forget about sleeping for at least one week during the meet itself.

15. Ice cost more than one thinks in the midwest humidity when trying to keep beer and soda cold.

16. You will forget something.

17. You will have the time of your life, be completely exhausted, look forward to the next year meet and have things to tell your grandchildren.
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 5:24:10 PM EDT
[#43]
hmmm... convention town, intercontinental airport, gun friendly state, most members? yup, Texas is the place. I think Dallas/Ft. Worth or Houston, either one will do. see ya there!!!
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 6:42:46 PM EDT
[#44]
OK, not to sound selfish but...

Central location should be a must. Missouri, Oklahoma, Arkansas, would all be good choices. Don't know about the rest of the states, but Missouri has pretty lenient gun laws.
Just a thought.
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 6:45:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 6:53:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Don't forget, there are some major hubs here, at least in Missouri.
Kansas City and St Louis both have major airports, plenty of convention centers, and places to play. Though KC would probably be more gun friendly.
Again, just a thought.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 4:35:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Well looks like this could be a possibility. However this is an idea that i do not know how to get going. Never had much experience in setting this up. I would assume it would take money to reserve convention hall(for the presentation and gunshow) and time to call sponsors and event supporters.

Unfortunately at this time I am devoting most of my time to finding another job. Maybe someone with experience in this can step up and see exactly what we need.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 5:36:06 AM EDT
[#48]
i`LL START LOOKING INTO THE vEGAS THING opps caps. I`ll try for begining of FEB. See what we have to do to get this rolling.
I understand the post from Gunslinger but I dont think that many people will come ifn thar aint no shootin and people cant show off what they own.
Part of the interest for me is seeing what equipment people use and see if it runs.
I think a shoot is a must.
I`ll contact Front Sight and a few local hotels/motels to see what we can do. If it looks like a possibility I`ll start recruiting help.
Into the fire, boys.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 6:25:22 AM EDT
[#49]
Rich if you get it going I'd be glad to help out.  I still vote for Vegas.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 6:33:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Yeah I think Vegas will have a lot to offer.

Entertainment
Abundance of Hotels for said venue
Ranges
C3 friendly
Abundance of flights in and out.

The only thing I am afraid off is that we get this thing going and the majority back out. We'll be sitting in the middle of a room with about 10 people. Don't get me wrong that would still be a hoot. But I am thinking it would be a disaster if we get sponsors and vendors to come.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top