Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2006 12:51:09 AM EDT
First two are questions stemming from statements I have heard from the handful of LEOs I know. Posted it here and not GD to keep it a little more civil.

1) Is it true that over half of the time you have made a decision on a traffic violation before you even get out of your car?

2) Do you watch the Television show "Cops" very often?

3) How do you keep from beating the living hell out of the shitbags who dont take care of their kids? This is just a question I have after watching Cops a bunch and thinking that one day if I were those officers I would probably snap and beat the tar out of the dirtbags who are smoking meth with their 3yo kids running around. I mean does that ever get to you?

Thanks for looking.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:11:44 AM EDT
[#1]
1. Yes

2. Its good for laughes.

3. It makes me thankful for the parents I had as a kid. I use to think I had it rough. Some of these kids have no chance at all. Yes it get to me everytime I come across some of the horrible things that are done to kids. I have not snapped I hold myself to a higher standard than the f**king human garbage that I deal with.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:16:47 AM EDT
[#2]
1. Yes.

2. It's generally regarded as "what not to do", therefore it's funny and frustrating at the same time.

3. By remaining calm, doing what's right, and not reducing yourself to the level of the animals you can hope be a positive role for kids that won't otherwise get one.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:22:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes.  then again, I only stop the most outstanding examples.

It's the perfect "what not to do" training aid.

Don't let it get to you. If it does you'll end up eating your own gun. In my academy class , 5 have died by their own hand in various ways.  (More than have died by accidents/duty.) Emotional control is very important.  (You read that right.  Of my class, over 1/3rd have died since 1983) )
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:46:51 AM EDT
[#4]
What they said.

The only exception is, I know only 1 who ate his gun. (thankfully only 1)
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:50:24 AM EDT
[#5]
What about the one legged cop that chased down the crackhead?  Anyone else think it was staged to make him look fast? lol  Either way, dude can outrun me and he only has one leg.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:14:46 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What about the one legged cop that chased down the crackhead?  Anyone else think it was staged to make him look fast? lol  Either way, dude can outrun me and he only has one leg.

Don't laugh.  When I was younger and a LOT faster than now I had to chase a 17-year -old car thief for almost three city blocks before I snagged him.  He could MOVE.  He ran out of air before he ran out of speed.

Little bastard had an artificial leg from the knee down.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:32:22 AM EDT
[#7]
1)  No.  Many times my decision is made AFTER contact with the driver and finding out why they are speeding.

2)  Yes, but only because my 10 y/o son loves it and says "dad, you ever do that"?

3)  Simple, self protection.  After the satsfaction of giving a good ass-whoopn' has wore off, now my family and I will be left to suffer.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:48:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:09:58 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
1. Yes.

2. It's generally regarded as "what not to do", therefore it's funny and frustrating at the same time.

3. By remaining calm, doing what's right, and not reducing yourself to the level of the animals you can hope be a positive role for kids that won't otherwise get one.

+1
Could not have said it any better myself.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:20:14 AM EDT
[#10]
1. yes
2. no
3. I like my house and want to send my kids to college.  I don't want to pay for someone else's house and kids.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:19:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Thank you for your insight and replies.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:10:18 AM EDT
[#12]
1.  If I'm on regular patrol I almost always cite the operator.  Although there are some good reasons out ther and they get let go.  If I'm in a really aggressive mood looking for something big I'll stop for minor (not really minor) violations and give a lot of warnings.

2.  Not really.  I did in the past but now only when there is nothing better to do.  Maybe 5X a year.  But like others said it what not to do.  It is obvious that most are playing up to the camera.

3.  It's sad but I think it makes you a better parent/spose/citizen.  You learn from other's mistakes.....usually.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:14:21 AM EDT
[#13]
When you finially get the chance to give a good justified ass beating (), It makes up for alot of the times you couldn't !
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:16:46 AM EDT
[#14]
For the most part, those guys on cops do things the way they do because they are on carmera! However, you'll see the real deal sometimes on one of the older tapings of Cops from the 80s.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:24:24 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
1) Is it true that over half of the time you have made a decision on a traffic violation before you even get out of your car?

There are so many people on the roads that I only stop the really bad ones. Of course I'm planning issue a citation if I pull the car over.  I'm not planning to invite him to lunch.

Never.  I watched it before I went to the academy though.

3) How do you keep from beating the living hell out of the shitbags...

My families financial security is worth more to me than them or their family.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:46:46 AM EDT
[#16]
1. No not really, it depends on the driver, but as I have stated before I hate traffic court, so I really have to be motivated to write a ticket.
2. The show sucks. It has no truth in it whatsoever, they are being extremely nice just because of the camera.
3. I haven't dealt with meth heads yet, but crack,heroin,PCP,and of course DRO(hydroscopicly grown cannabis) are all over the west side. It's hard not to do what you would like to do to them, so I pray I that I don't.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:04:45 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
First two are questions stemming from statements I have heard from the handful of LEOs I know. Posted it here and not GD to keep it a little more civil.

1) Is it true that over half of the time you have made a decision on a traffic violation before you even get out of your car?yes

2) Do you watch the Television show "Cops" very often?yes, great entertainment

3) How do you keep from beating the living hell out of the shitbags who dont take care of their kids?Restraint  This is just a question I have after watching Cops a bunch and thinking that one day if I were those officers I would probably snap and beat the tar out of the dirtbags who are smoking meth with their 3yo kids running around. I mean does that ever get to you?Yes

Thanks for looking.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:20:42 PM EDT
[#18]
1.  Yes, unless some other circumstance mitigates my decision.  Note "mitigate" not "aggravate".

2.  No.  

3.  It's a job that requires emotional neutrality.  Because of this unfortunately you usually come off as an asshole to most "normal" people.  I have a wife and two kids and a career.  Why should I let those people cause me to do something that would jeopardize that?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:29:07 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
1. Yes.

Yep, I quote this because it's EXACTLY how I would have answered. hers
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:30:09 PM EDT
[#20]
1) Yep, usually for me it is closer to 75-90% of my decision is made even before I put the top lights on.

2) Usually catch it when it happens to be on.

3) I figured long ago that the legal BS they are going to go through is much than what I could do to them right now. That rational part of my brain kicks in and remembers that if I do beat the tar out of this guy he'll be out quickly, with my money, and smoking meth around his kid again. Rather actually do my best to try and correct the problem.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:45:14 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

It's a generalization - I may be leaning very heavily toward wanting to issue a ticket for a stupid/reckless/careless etc. violation but the decision is not final until I put pen to citation. Then again there's been a time or two I've voided a written citation - usually because the driver ends up finding his insurance proof.

Sure, it's funny to watch how some of the guys like to "perform" for the camera.

3) How do you keep from beating the living hell out of the shitbags who dont take care of their kids? This is just a question I have after watching Cops a bunch and thinking that one day if I were those officers I would probably snap and beat the tar out of the dirtbags who are smoking meth with their 3yo kids running around. I mean does that ever get to you?
42 USC 1983

Thanks for looking.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:24:04 PM EDT
[#22]
1) For the most part, yes. I have stopped people for a violation and after listening to their story decided to give them a warning (verbal or written) instead of a citation. Then of course you have the other people who have talked or acted themselves into a ticket instead of getting just a warning.

2) Yeah, plus several other "cops" shows......First 48, etc. When watching COPS I find myself critiquing the events.

3) Not my job to beat the crap out of them, although I may want to.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:46:38 AM EDT
[#23]
1) Yes, or at least know under what circumstances they will or will not get a ticket (i.e. stop them for a brakelight out and know that I'm only gonna write a cit for no insurance if it applies).

2)Hell no, I see enough of it at work.

3)Same way I never hit my ex wife. Just eat it and know you're the better person. And drink a lot of beer when the opportunity presents itself.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:06:02 AM EDT
[#24]
1. Not usually, I at least like to see if there might be a reason for the behavior (wife in labor, etc.)
2. Not if I can avoid it...a live show is always better than a tape
3. That just makes a bad situation worse. I try to concentrate on improving circumstances for the kids. Accuse me of being a libtard all you want, but today's child victim is tomorrow's perp.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:03:17 PM EDT
[#25]
1.  No, I'm pretty openminded about whether or not I'm going to write or not.

2.  I can't stand COPS.  A good show, but I generally find things that they did wrong, or that I would never get away with.  I don't watch COPS, except as entertainment.  Kind of like professional wrestling.

3.  Dealing with abused/neglected/mistreated kids is one of the worst parts of the job.  Motivates me to hug my Mom every chance I get for not raising me like the parents I have deal with raise their kids.  CPS isn't worth much either.  

-K
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:25:09 AM EDT
[#26]

Never done a traffic stop, so I couldn't say.  I'm not that type of LEO.

Try not too watch it too much.  Can be frustrating to watch officers with bad habits, and unsafe practices.  Some of the stuff on there is cool, because I'm not a street cop, and it seems like a good gig.  If they had a show called "Federal COPS" I might watch it more.

I see shitbags all the time here in DC that have kids with them.  It's hard not too pull them aside and tell them what you think about them, but I'll never admit to what I really want to do to them :-)

I'm glad I don't have to deal with domestics on a day to day basis, like beat cops.  We get the occassional domestic where I work, but it's not usually as bad as you see in someones living room.  People are a little more tame with things when they're out in public.  

Thanks for looking.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:52:40 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
1. Yes.

+1

1.  Yes, my decision is that I am not writing a citation.  Your actions and attitude determine whether a citation will be issued.  I have let people go for  20 over, then again I have written for unclean license plate.  You would be surprised how far politeness and honesty will go.
BTW, I do work patrol, although not required to write citations.

Same on the other two questions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top