[#1]
obvious fake is obvious.

i mean, the bubbles are going down???

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:31:02 AM EDT
[#2]
It usually requires Japanese folks to make something so awkwardly weird
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:36:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Divers wear a weight belt to make them neutrally buoyant. They are not. The suit makes them float up. Their feet are up and heads down. The camera is just turned 180 degrees. The wheel barrel is held to the bottom of the ice by the air in the barrel.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:42:04 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

obvious fake is obvious.

Not fake. The bubbles are your clue to the true orientation of up & down. Figure the rest out with that as the key.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:42:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:
obvious fake is obvious.

Not fake. The bubbles are your clue to the true orientation of up & down. Figure the rest out with that as the key.

was not serious. thus, the goofy face.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:47:36 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

obvious fake is obvious.

Gotcha. Coffee first, internet 2nd!

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:13:28 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

obvious fake is obvious.

Gotcha. Coffee first, internet 2nd!

I saw it for the first time last night at about 11:30 and had a few drinks. I thought it was amazing

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:23:17 AM EDT
[#8]
They are going to be in so much trouble for leaving that trash in the lake.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:24:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I got a headache just watching. Its gotta be disorienting being upside down under water like that.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:24:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Probably have their BC's fully inflated and are upside down. Looks like it was a fun video to make though.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:29:29 AM EDT
[#11]
That was pretty cool.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:36:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
obvious fake is obvious.

In cold water, divers will breathe a mixture of air with a much higher nitrogen content.  Thus, the air is actually 1.2 times heavier than the surrounding water, causing bubbles to sink in these circumstances.  The wheel barrel is of a special tactical variety that, through the use of magnets, is able to exhibit anti-gravity characteristics when submerged.

GD + Science = Fail.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:46:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Creative.   Very amusing and different.

There must not be an awful lot to do in Finland in the winter, to come up with that.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:50:06 AM EDT
[#14]
They are not tethered from the surface.  Bad idea.  If a seal on the drysuit fails/or your reg freezes( usually happens after the drysuit leaks due to severe overbreathing)  you have minutes to get out  of the water.  

Still a neat video.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:51:51 AM EDT
[#15]
I liked the music.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:52:39 AM EDT
[#16]
I got a 12mm Otter Bay hood and a new drysuit undergarment for Christmas, and I'm still too pussy to hit the local water.  Trying to build up my courage though.

Those guys must be freezing their asses off, drysuit or not.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:54:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I got a 12mm Otter Bay hood and a new drysuit undergarment for Christmas, and I'm still too pussy to hit the local water.  Trying to build up my courage though.

Get a 4th Element thermals.  Very warm.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:56:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Checking out their site now.  My real issue is face, head, ears and hands.  Have dry gloves, ought to get a full face mask and dry hood.  Especially since I get cold diving dry in 62F water.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:00:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Checking out their site now.  My real issue is face, head, ears and hands.  Have dry gloves, ought to get a full face mask and dry hood.  Especially since I get cold diving dry in 62F water.

I always use a 7 mil hood and make sure it is tucked in well.  Never had a problem with my head or face with that.  I have the Smurf Gloves with my DUI suit

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:11:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Im so confused... everything I thought I understood about life has been disproven by this video.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:19:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Pretty damn cool even if fake. Those divers had some serious thermals on. Under those dry-suits but I'm surprised the didn't have full face regs as I'm sure their faces were numb from the cold. The coldest water I've been in was around 68, even with a dry-suit and thermals I was ready to get out after 30 mins, can't imagine those temps they were diving in.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:35:23 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I got a headache just watching. Its gotta be disorienting being upside down under water like that.

Actually its not disorienting at all. You can't really make big body movements fast enough to get any real vertigo going. If you have a wetsuit, of any kind, on you don't really feel too much gravity pull. The buoyancy of the suit balances most of it out. I like to look for nudibranchs when I dive and spend a lot of time upside down sometimes. You actually think the people who are right side up look odd after a while.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:38:38 AM EDT
[#23]
They are getting cold, but not as fast as you think. Dry suits are amazing. Standing upside down on the ice is no biggie, and it is no discomfort to the diver at all as you don't weigh much under water.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:41:36 AM EDT
[#24]
silly finns are silly
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:50:10 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

That was pretty cool.

That was fk'ing FREEZING!

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:57:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Damn that looks cold.

Years ago I did my first dives during February in 50F water (old quarry) wearing a wetsuit....I can still remember how numb my face and hands were about halfway through the dive.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:58:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Dupe
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 8:36:17 AM EDT
[#28]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyUf7r_9yNs&feature=player_embedded

Dry suits are for pussies.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:38:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyUf7r_9yNs&feature=player_embedded

Dry suits are for pussies.

Watch the last part. That dude was way into a bottle of Vodka.  

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:43:58 AM EDT
[#30]
First time I've seen someone actually deliver a bucket of prop wash
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 10:06:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
They are not tethered from the surface.  Bad idea.  If a seal on the drysuit fails/or your reg freezes( usually happens after the drysuit leaks due to severe overbreathing)  you have minutes to get out  of the water.  

Still a neat video.

That was the first thing that popped in my head. When I got my ice diving certification one of the other student's neck seal on his dry suit failed causing his dry suit to flood. It took a lot of pulling from the line tender and a little assistance from the other diver and instructor to get him out of the water.  

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 10:24:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
obvious fake is obvious.

first post.......wrong.....turn in your arfcom man card......
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 10:34:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Probably have their BC's fully inflated and are upside down. Looks like it was a fun video to make though.

Technical nonsense follows: Usually when you dive a dry suit you use the suit to control buoyancy and you BC is backup. It is vital that you remain aware of your orientation at all times or you feet fill with air and you will flip upside down. This is bad because the valve you release excess air with is high on your chest. If you are an idiot and get in this position while ascending the air in the suit will continue to expand and you will continue to increase your ascent rate. The most likely outcome is the bends and possibly death. Though if you are careful with your weight and your awareness this won't be a problem.

These guys probably pulled themselves in buoyant and just inverted which in theory should be safe at this minimal depth. However there are going to be folks who disagree with me on the safety.
I would try it, looks like fun.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 10:37:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It usually requires Japanese folks to make something so awkwardly weird

What you talkin' 'bout, Willis?! If I'd have had the pure genius required to think this up first, I'd have TOTALLY done it. This beats my buddy and I's idea of taking fishing poles down with us and fishing from the bottom of the lake, and beats it BAD!

I saw this a few days ago, and it was an instant classic for me. These guys are brilliant!

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 11:08:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Dupe

The other thread has the video in higher quality, and in a longer version.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1273709_Cool_video_from_Finland.html
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 11:43:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 12:13:32 PM EDT
[#37]
It's Finland.  What the hell else are you going to do all winter?
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 12:17:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Technical nonsense follows: Usually when you dive a dry suit you use the suit to control buoyancy and you BC is backup. It is vital that you remain aware of your orientation at all times or you feet fill with air and you will flip upside down. This is bad because the valve you release excess air with is high on your chest. If you are an idiot and get in this position while ascending the air in the suit will continue to expand and you will continue to increase your ascent rate. The most likely outcome is the bends and possibly death. Though if you are careful with your weight and your awareness this won't be a problem.

These guys probably pulled themselves in buoyant and just inverted which in theory should be safe at this minimal depth. However there are going to be folks who disagree with me on the safety.

PADI might think so*, but no one I've ever met, including in the tech dive community uses their dry suit inflator for anything but controlling squeeze, and as backup buoyancy.

This also reduces the risk of foot float or runaway inflation becoming a dire situation.

Inflator is chest, vent is upper arm or wrist.

*IIRC they are the only agency that advocates such

I always make sure I wear a knife when diving dry.  I always figured that worst case, I could slash at my ankle and the bloody injury and flooded suit would be better than ballooning up toward the surface from 100 feet.  Lesser of evils and all that, but it would also be some major suckage in 43F water like I dove last February.  My nuts would have retracted so far into my body cavity from the cold my GF would still be trying to pull them out.

I have a cave cut suit though, which fits fairly snug around my lower legs.  The Viking I used to have was horrifically bad.  My Bare and DUI are both much better.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 12:41:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Brings back fond memories..lol  I had a picture of myself standing under the ice like that from my first ice dive.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:10:25 PM EDT
[#40]
pretty cool
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:25:44 PM EDT
[#41]

"Technical nonsense follows: Usually when you dive a dry suit you use the suit to control buoyancy and you BC is backup. It is vital that you remain aware of your orientation at all times or you feet fill with air and you will flip upside down. This is bad because the valve you release excess air with is high on your chest. If you are an idiot and get in this position while ascending the air in the suit will continue to expand and you will continue to increase your ascent rate. The most likely outcome is the bends and possibly death. Though if you are careful with your weight and your awareness this won't be a problem."

Sorry Charlie.. You use your BC for buoyancy control, and the dry suit for warmth. The amount of air or argon in the suit is just to control suit squeeze at different depths, so you can move. A part of dry suit training, is pulling yourself out of an inverted runaway ascent. Its a quick and easy drill. Plus there are suits with exhaust valves in each ankle.

Doing ice dives are fun, I miss it. As for the cold, the water is only 32, thats if your diving fresh water. Your face gets numb quick and your good to go. What does hurt like a MOFO, picture an ice cream head ace from hell. Cold water, no mask, and your eyes open, the cold goes right through your eyes to the brain...

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:27:15 PM EDT
[#42]
That vid was clearly filmed on the moon but the moon landings were faked.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:31:06 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

PADI might think so*, but no one I've ever met, including in the tech dive community uses their dry suit inflator for anything but controlling squeeze, and as backup buoyancy.

This also reduces the risk of foot float or runaway inflation becoming a dire situation.

I always make sure I wear a knife when diving dry. I always figured that worst case, I could slash at my ankle and the bloody injury and flooded suit would be better than ballooning up toward the surface from 100 feet. Lesser of evils and all that, but it would also be some major suckage in 43F water like I dove last February. My nuts would have retracted so far into my body cavity from the cold my GF would still be trying to pull them out.

I have a cave cut suit though, which fits fairly snug around my lower legs. The Viking I used to have was horrifically bad. My Bare and DUI are both much better.

Better and faster then slashing away with a knife at your ankles is this. pull yourself verticle, then pull open your neck seal with a finger. Quick fast and easy. I had my drysuit inflator stick on me in about 100 FFW. By the time I figured out what the fuck was going on, and had the run away ascend fixed I was in 80 FFW. I pull the inflation hose off of my drysuit power inflator and finished the dive.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:47:46 PM EDT
[#44]
How deep is the water there, anyway? When the camera pointed "up" (Down), all I saw was blue...that's pretty deep.

Based on my own considerable swimming (but not diving) experience,  I can say that I'd be perfectly comfortable inverted

as long as my ears don't flood.  And when they DO flood, that's a slightly painful moment,  but once they are flooded,

I can just leave them like that and then swimming inverted is tolerable.

I used to do that so much as a kid that I had problems with ear infections.    So I stopped swimming upside down and

the infections stopped.

CJ
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:52:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Pretty creative. I dig it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:59:42 PM EDT
[#46]
I am going for another beer
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:02:47 PM EDT
[#47]
That may be camera trickery, but this is real.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:11:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
That may be camera trickery, but this is real.

http://static.binscorner.com/a/amazing-underwater-river-in-mexico/126660494056.jpg

read that article.... wicked stuff!
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:39:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I always make sure I wear a knife when diving dry.  I always figured that worst case, I could slash at my ankle and the bloody injury and flooded suit would be better than ballooning up toward the surface from 100 feet.  Lesser of evils and all that, but it would also be some major suckage in 43F water like I dove last February.  My nuts would have retracted so far into my body cavity from the cold my GF would still be trying to pull them out.

I have a cave cut suit though, which fits fairly snug around my lower legs.  The Viking I used to have was horrifically bad.  My Bare and DUI are both much better.

Busted, I am a padi diver and have used my drysuit very little. however the guys I have dived with are very experienced and they use their suit also. A quick search on the net will produce many opinions on both methods.

The inflator vent switch up was a brainfart on my part. My DUI is at the shoulder.

Having said that...I have much to learn and hope to do nsscds courses in the near future and may very well change over with experience.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:45:47 PM EDT
[#50]
That was cool.  Thanks.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top