Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2003 7:18:17 AM EDT
...and not just a bomb strapped to a RC plane...

[url]http://www.interestingprojects.com/cruisemissile/[/url]

Thought you guys might like this...
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:22:54 AM EDT
[#1]
once he gets the plans up, then we won't be able to link to the site through the forums, since they would contain plans on building an illegal item
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 10:27:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Talk about an alphabet magnet...............

When you start developing technology with military application, don't you become subject to some pretty strict laws? (Beyond firearms & related laws, and regardless of the lack of a warhead)

Seems he may be required among other things to get a security clearance, and / or possibly lose control of his creation inthe name of national security.

I don't know the details, but this is the gist of what I read long ago on the topic of soembody else's inventionn.

Wait, I sorta remember his jet engine project.  Is he even in the US?
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 10:31:27 PM EDT
[#3]
This guy is my new hero...
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 10:41:12 PM EDT
[#4]
The author stated that he does not live in the United State, but that he would attempt to locate all the parts from US suppliers.

I really don't think he'll be getting in trouble.  All he is really building is a remote control jet with a payload capacity.  Once he gets the bugs worked out of that, he'll integrate the GPS unit and attempt to make it fire and forget.  The author appears to be rather intelegent and I have little doubt that he'll fail.

Notice that one of the design objectives was to have an accuracy of about 100 feet.  Most targets one would engage with a missle are much smaller than that.  Also note that this the missle will have no tracking capibility.

As for the terrorist connection. . .I don't really believe this type weapon fits their battle plan.  It will require a very technically educated person to construct with LOTS of testing even on a model made from plans.  This testing would be hard to do covertly.  It seems as of late terrorist prefer to use themselves as a weapon.  I have a feeling that most of these sucide bombers are not overly educated.  Only the very impressionable will be going on these type missions.  I believe most of the planning was carried out by people not directly invovled with the act of terror.  The terrorists themselves are nothing more than pawns.

Unless this guy starts selling them ready to go, I don't think he'll have a problem.

- Matt
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 10:41:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Does anyone remember that drug running submarine in columbia that was discovered before it could be finished? That was a far more expensive and complex undertaking than this would be.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top