Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2015 9:12:00 AM EDT
http://www.katu.com/news/local/TEAM-WORK-SAVES-Vancouver-baby-in-HOT-CAR-302291071.html

VANCOUVER, Wash. — Sean Berk doesn't even live in Vancouver, but he was in town a couple of days ago on a job when he spotted a frantic mom in the parking lot of the Ross Dress For Less near Vancovuer Mall.

She had locked her keys in the trunk of her car, and Berk could see the baby sweating inside.

He called 9-1-1 and was told a tow truck would be on the way to unlock the car, but could take 15 minutes to get there.

Berk thought that was too long to wait.

He went into Ross to see if he could borrow something to slip through the small opening in the car's sun roof.

Berk says the manager at Ross said "No."

"I was just flabbergasted," said Berk in a phone interview with KATU.

"I couldn't believe the manager refused to let me borrow something they weren't even using. Really shocked," said Berk.

But Berk didn't give up.

He noticed a Play It Again Sports store across the street, so he went there to buy a hockey stick.

But the manager of the store had a better idea, a metal rod for hanging merchandise, exactly what the staff at Ross had, but wouldn't let Berk use.

Bryan Young didn't hesitate for a minute to let Berk borrow it.

"Not when there's kids involved," said Young.

Berk used a retail hook to pop the window lock and help get the baby out.

"What would I have been out if he had broken it or wandered off with it, a five dollar piece of metal. And he ended up bringing it back and shopping in the store before he went home. It was just people helping people who needed help," said Young.

The tow truck driver unlocked the trunk to get the car keys, and mom and baby headed home.

A Ross spokesperson told KATU the company didn't have a comment at this time on the manager's decision.

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:35:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Not that I ever shop in that store(live in vancouver), but I'll make sure to never go there now. The manager of Ross should feel ashamed.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:40:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Ross just ate a bag of donkey dicks.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:41:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Good on Berk & Play it Again, piss on that Ross guy...
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:11:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Ross seems to have a problem with hiring its managers. My wife went into one and got CHEWED OUT because she wore a cross on a chain around her neck!
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:12:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Why not just break the window? If 15 minutes is too long to wait, then it's too long to go asking around for a hook.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:16:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why not just break the window? If 15 minutes is too long to wait, then it's too long to go asking around for a hook.
View Quote

Exactly what I was thinking.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:18:31 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote

temps there have been from the upper 40's to about 70 depending on the time of day.  maybe it wasnt too warm at the time?

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:20:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

temps there have been from the upper 40's to about 70 depending on the time of day.  maybe it wasnt too warm at the time?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then wait the 15 minutes to have the door opened, or don't freak when you have to go two stores to get your hook.

Either it's urgent or it's not.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:25:04 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I was thinking it couldn't possibly be warm enough in Washington this time of year to actually panic about a kid being locked in a car.

Some people sure make a big to-do about nothing.  This certainly wasn't an emergency.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 1:46:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yeah, I was thinking it couldn't possibly be warm enough in Washington this time of year to actually panic about a kid being locked in a car.

Some people sure make a big to-do about nothing.  This certainly wasn't an emergency.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's been clear sky and warm the last couple of days (I'm in the area).  Vancouver hit a high of 73 that day, with no clouds in the sky.  If the car is in direct sunlight it can get very hot inside on a day like that.  

http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/enforce/ChildrenAndCars/pages/Unattend-HotCars.htm
“Cars parked in direct sunlight can reach internal temperatures up to 131° F - 172° F (55° C – 78° C) when outside temperatures are 80° F – 100° F (27° C – 38° C).”27 Even outside temperatures in the 60s can cause a car temperature to rise well above 110° F. When the outside temperature is 83° F, even with the window rolled down 2 inches, the temperature inside the car can reach 109° F in only 15 minutes."

Even if the time and eventual temperature aren't an issue, think about the mother there.  She's in a panic, her baby is locked in a car and it's her fault.  You ever watch a mom who can't help her crying baby?  I'd break the damn window just to calm her down.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 1:57:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top