Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 9:06:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No they don’t. Especially in northern states.

HUD & dwelling code standards came about for reasons, many of them very good.

“Tiny Homes” occupy an area devoid of HUD regulation due to HUD only regulating structures over 8.5” wide.

They are “Homes” in name only. Many municipalities use the term “Dwelling”, which a shitty tiny home comes no where near meeting, almost all of them minimum square footage.

I could go on, but there really is no point. They are a grifter crutch & have absolutely no business being used as a dwelling.

Now, if being used as as a recreational vehicle that may be another thing, but the whole movement of tiny homes refused to join the RVIA so as to be considered legally as a travel trailer, which they more closely align, so fuck them. They made there bed now reap the shit storm.
View Quote

Damned upptiy rich people
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 9:07:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Property taxes are a penalty for doing well.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 9:08:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Minimum square footage is BS that should not exist
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 9:13:27 PM EDT
[#4]
She eats well.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 9:32:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Bet she continues to vote democrap.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 9:33:38 PM EDT
[#6]
It's perfectly legal to have a TT, 5th wheel or motor home on your property in my county. You can even hook up power, cable, water and the sewer to it. The catch, you can only legally inhabit it 21 days of every 60 days. I'm sure this is pretty much the rule statewide in non incorporated areas.

Trying this in a city? Good luck dumbass.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 9:40:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So, you can't park trailers on someone else's lot and live in them. People would be turning their home properties into mobile home parks. If they weren't doing it for a business, I could see a completely valid argument. But this is a business for them.

And targeting Californians that have destroyed Idaho is fine. They went there as missionaries and have destroyed the state. This lady is claiming residency in CA so she isn't paying income tax in ID or paying them anything, but says she now has no place to live? Something is off.

And this setback looks good.

https://img-s-msn-com.akamaized.net/tenant/amp/entityid/AA10Loz8.img?w=768&h=432&m=6&x=328&y=206&s=56&d=56
View Quote

GUILTY
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 9:43:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

“Tiny Homes” occupy an area devoid of HUD regulation due to HUD only regulating structures over 8.5” wide.

They are “Homes” in name only. Many municipalities use the term “Dwelling”, which a shitty tiny home comes no where near meeting, almost all of them minimum square footage.

I could go on, but there really is no point. They are a grifter crutch & have absolutely no business being used as a dwelling.

Now, if being used as as a recreational vehicle that may be another thing, but the whole movement of tiny homes refused to join the RVIA so as to be considered legally as a travel trailer, which they more closely align, so fuck them. They made their bed now reap the shit storm.
View Quote

Good thing nobody gives a shit what you think. I could care less if someone else decides a tiny home is all they need in life.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 9:50:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
This

I 210 support both the property owner and the "tiny home woman."  This is going to royally bite Meridian in the ass. For the record, I live in McCall. I have met more "born and raised Idahoans" who far and away supersede most batshit crazy progressives than Californians by a loooong country mile. Hell, some of the most staunch conservatives I know in Idaho are ..from CA.
View Quote

I see this all the time here in TN.

The most solid pro-liberty people we meet are the 'foreigners' from other states.

Link Posted: 8/17/2022 9:54:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
But if she had a tent on a city street no code enforcment officer would care.  Fucking clown world.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/17/2022 10:03:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

They have to be approved beforehand here. You can't just roll up like Christmas Vacation expecting to stay forever.
The health department gets up your ass about the septic or sewer tie in and ensuring your septic field is sufficiently sized.

Kharn
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Most zoning allows for an "accessory dwelling unit" (often called an ADU) up to 600 sq. ft. to be placed on a property that already has a primary home IF the setbacks and other conditions are met.  I'm surprised these haven't become more popular.

They have to be approved beforehand here. You can't just roll up like Christmas Vacation expecting to stay forever.
The health department gets up your ass about the septic or sewer tie in and ensuring your septic field is sufficiently sized.

Kharn

Here there is no such thing as a detached living space and all the money in the world wont get you one.  Go to a campground and pay the daily fee or fuck off.

Even if you own an empty lot here with sewer and water they wouldn't allow that shit.  If it doesn't have a concrete foundation(not a slab) its not a house period.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 10:05:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It’s a trailer. You can’t just park your trailer wherever you want and live there. It was called a “secondary home” because it was on somebody else’s property that wasn’t zoned or taxed for a second permanent residence.
View Quote

Usually, all you have to do is move it occasionally and don't draw attention to yourself, like annoying your neighbors.
But, yeah that's technically illegal in most cities.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 10:06:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Now, if being used as as a recreational vehicle that may be another thing, but the whole movement of tiny homes refused to join the RVIA so as to be considered legally as a travel trailer, which they more closely align, so fuck them. They made their bed now reap the shit storm.
View Quote

Tell us you like the gov to have their fingers in everything and boots on necks without telling us you're OK with and omnipresent gov.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 10:14:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Shit, here in my podunk county you can live in a camper/RV on your property while a new house is being built.  But if it’s a property with a built house, there is a time limit of something like 60 or 90 days. Keeps away the rentals, etc.

Neighbor knows someone that was doing an extensive remodel that required living in the RV.  Supply chain issues caused a slow down on the project.  No one thought about the 60 or 90 day limit. Except the inspector that came to look at and sign off on the wiring job.  He threw a hissy fit and refused to sign off until they moved the RV off the property and paid some fines.  Last I heard they were now having to pay a lawyer to fight this asshole.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 10:18:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Tiny house owners throwing their shit and piss from the composting (lol) toilets on the ground is a health hazzard.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 10:19:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Trailers are taxed as personal property in some states.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Private property doesn't exist as long as you have to pay property tax
I doubt you pay property taxes on a trailer since she probably doesn't own the land
Trailers are taxed as personal property in some states.

They're taxed as vehicles in AZ. They're on wheels, which makes them a vehicle (trailer). This applies to ALL mobile homes, park models, travel trailers, motor homes, and "tiny houses". Wheels=motor vehicle registration.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 10:22:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It's not a tiny home, it's a camper. Travel trailer. Campers slide into the bed of a pickup truck.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/17/2022 10:22:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Mostly I think the “tiny house” idea is a bit ridiculous but based on the photo of her place that looks a bit compact but certainly it’s a livable space. The city should piss off. I know plenty of people who live in campers smaller than that.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 12:16:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Good thing nobody gives a shit what you think. I could care less if someone else decides a tiny home is all they need in life.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It has absolutely nothing to do with what I think. My perception, however, is based off the fact of an understanding of Federal HUD code & the knowledge many states have adopted that as a mandate of building code for many reasons.

If a state has not adopted HUD standards then by all means allow people to live in sub-standard living conditions in urban & suburban areas. If they have adopted such build quality standards the shit “Tiny Homes” should not be allowed in those areas. They simply lack adequate insulation, build quality & much often time heating & cooling standard, not to mention minimum square footage to be nearly associated as a legitimate dwelling.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 12:26:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Tell us you like the gov to have their fingers in everything and boots on necks without telling us you're OK with and omnipresent gov.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Come the fuck on.

“Oh gramma froze to death in a shity, poorly insulated, heated by a shit ass 45k BTU 75% efficiency furnace not designed for 100% duty cycle, in sub zero temperatures, but fuck logical insulation & heating & cooling efficiency standards.

If you idiots had half the experience I’ve had trying to get customers through a sub-zero winter in a unit 3x better equipped for it than these shit ass built & equipped so-called-tiny-homes you’d shut your mouths & never respond to a thread correlating to them ever again.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 12:29:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Chasidy? White painted cabinets? "Blessed" sign?  Checking a lot of boxes there.

GTFO.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 12:31:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Shit, here in my podunk county you can live in a camper/RV on your property while a new house is being built.  But if it’s a property with a built house, there is a time limit of something like 60 or 90 days. Keeps away the rentals, etc.

Neighbor knows someone that was doing an extensive remodel that required living in the RV.  Supply chain issues caused a slow down on the project.  No one thought about the 60 or 90 day limit. Except the inspector that came to look at and sign off on the wiring job.  He threw a hissy fit and refused to sign off until they moved the RV off the property and paid some fines.  Last I heard they were now having to pay a lawyer to fight this asshole.
View Quote

These kinds of stories are what push me towards the "extremist" position of "stay the fuck out of other people's business."

If they are throwing shitter waste on the ground like another poster said he sees, there are plenty of health standards to solve that.  But red tape isn't exactly set up to handle the bullshit that two years of government idiocy created in our response to the Chinese-Mexican Bird Flue.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 12:33:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Come the fuck on.

“Oh gramma froze to death in a shity, poorly insulated, heated by a shit ass 45k BTU 75% efficiency furnace not designed for 100% duty cycle, in sub zero temperatures, but fuck logical insulation & heating & cooling efficiency standards.

If you idiots had half the experience I’ve had trying to get customers through a sub-zero winter in a unit 3x better equipped for it than these shit ass built & equipped so-called-tiny-homes you’d shut your mouths & never respond to a thread correlating to them ever again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Come the fuck on.

Sounds like people make bad decisions.  I would say, don't make use pay for their dumbass decisions.  Someone wants to be stupid, let 'em.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 12:51:58 AM EDT
[#24]
I 210 support both the property owner and the "tiny home woman."  This is going to royally bite Meridian in the ass. For the record, I live in McCall. I have met more "born and raised Idahoans" who far and away supersede most batshit crazy progressives than Californians by a loooong country mile. Hell, some of the most staunch conservatives I know in Idaho are ..from CA.

I was recently there. I heard the call it "McCali"
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 12:59:02 AM EDT
[#25]
What's stopping her from buying a small postage stamp sized piece of dirt to park the thing on?
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 1:01:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
So you could care less? How much less could you care?
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 1:02:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Code enforcement is just trying to keep the commies from ruining their state.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Code enforcement is just trying to keep the commies from ruining their state.

Decker and Calacal’s lawyers believe they were targeted for the code violations because of their out-of-state license plates and because Calacal lives in California

I rescind my prior opinion.  Good eviction!
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 1:05:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I was recently there. I heard the call it "McCali"
View Quote
McCall is right up there with Sun Valley on the 'infested with dipshit progressives' meter.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 1:10:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Go be a nuisance somewhere else.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 1:11:19 AM EDT
[#30]
I came here ready to be mad about government overreach, but then I read the story, applied critical thinking and came to the conclusion that the Govt is right, that while there are legit ways to live in a tiny home, this isn't one.  Pay a towing company to drag that shyte back to cali and see how THAT goes for you...
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 1:33:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
This is about to happen in Austin. There is a mobile home park that was recently purchased and the developers want all the mobile homes gone in the next few months. Some of them are 20 years old and will cost more to move than they are worth.
View Quote
Congress Mobile Home and RV Park...  Happened to Pecan Grove about 20 years ago...  It went on for a long time, a lot of residents moved out, others decided to wait till the last minute.  The last minute was a long time in coming as the economy hit a blip and apparently the development never broke ground - Pecan Grove is still there.

I honestly don't know if they were are still are a trailer park - mostly it was a mobile home park (abet the mobile homes rarely left).  That said, it is a lot easier to wait for the last minute if all you have to do is rent a truck with a trailer hitch to move.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 1:36:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
But if she had a tent on a city street no code enforcment officer would care.  Fucking clown world.
View Quote

They would in Meridian Idaho.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 1:40:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Change the code to include that all dwellings be on a foundation, anchored, if it was moved in on axels the axels must be removed, the building must be connected to city sewer and water, if available, if not then a approved septic and well.

The it can be used as a permanent  dwelling.

I really dont care what size your house is, as long as its not a health hazzard or eye sore.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 1:47:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Most zoning allows for an "accessory dwelling unit" (often called an ADU) up to 600 sq. ft. to be placed on a property that already has a primary home IF the setbacks and other conditions are met.  I'm surprised these haven't become more popular.
View Quote

Not in Meridian Idaho freind and they dont care what anyone thinks about it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 1:47:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Meridian, just an extension of Boise.
Boise, just an extension of California, Portland, Seattle, etc.
View Quote

Not so much
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 1:47:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Sounds like she has a pretty good case.  

Best of luck to her
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 2:37:07 AM EDT
[#37]
The City.

Link Posted: 8/18/2022 3:03:59 AM EDT
[#38]
I can see both sides of the argument.
She’s not on section 8 that’s a plus.
If her tiny home is discreetly located behind trees or a fence and not an eyesore I could see it being ok.
I really wouldn’t want to see more than one on a property not designated as a tiny home community though.
I think there’s a camping trailer on the property across from me the owners brother “single no other people” lives in they have it located behind the house out of sight.
There’s no drug activity or other civil nuisance from them and they all work.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 5:09:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Problem is, once you allow one, you can't stop anyone else from doing it also. That is what communities get concerned about. No septic systems should make neighbors a wee bit concerned, especially if in a subdivision.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 5:57:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Tiny house owners throwing their shit and piss from the composting (lol) toilets on the ground is a health hazzard.
View Quote

Meh, wastewater treatment plants give away composted shit every day for people to put on the ground for there gardens.
Hugh trucks also haul it away for compost to sell in bags to the public at lowes and home depot. Farmers also spread it on there fields.
So composted human waste isn't the boogeyman that you think is!
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 6:08:01 AM EDT
[#41]
IJ has a post about living legally in a tiny home

https://ij.org/case-intake/living-legally-in-a-tiny-home/

Tiny homes, sometimes defined as homes under 400 ft2, offer many benefits. Some view them as a way to simplify and downsize, and others see their quick and affordable construction as a way to combat the housing crisis. The movement has grown massively in recent years—there are a tiny home trade association, a grassroots association dedicated to improving the legal environment for tiny homes, and even several TV shows on tiny homes. But the legal landscape is still adjusting, and it can be confusing to determine whether a tiny home is within reach. This article lists five factors to consider before building or buying a tiny home, including several promising locations to consider.
View Quote

--
It covers zoning, building codes, wheels or no wheels, some locations where tiny homes are welcomed, permits.  There are legal ways to do a tiny home and illegal ways to do them.  If they're always illegal with no valid government purpose, then that gets into constitutional issues.  IJ will force the city to allow tiny homes in some fashion, bet on it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 6:37:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

These kinds of stories are what push me towards the "extremist" position of "stay the fuck out of other people's business."

If they are throwing shitter waste on the ground like another poster said he sees, there are plenty of health standards to solve that.  But red tape isn't exactly set up to handle the bullshit that two years of government idiocy created in our response to the Chinese-Mexican Bird Flue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The certificate of occupancy, health department inspection of your sewer or septic, etc,  are so there aren't mystery disease outbreaks where they have to go looking for that person throwing their shit on the ground. Or a house collapses on a bunch of people who didn't know they were renting a shithole, etc.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 7:04:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
So, you can't park trailers on someone else's lot and live in them. People would be turning their home properties into mobile home parks. If they weren't doing it for a business, I could see a completely valid argument. But this is a business for them.

And targeting Californians that have destroyed Idaho is fine. They went there as missionaries and have destroyed the state. This lady is claiming residency in CA so she isn't paying income tax in ID or paying them anything, but says she now has no place to live? Something is off.

And this setback looks good.

https://img-s-msn-com.akamaized.net/tenant/amp/entityid/AA10Loz8.img?w=768&h=432&m=6&x=328&y=206&s=56&d=56
View Quote
Good enforcement

If this was someone living on their property, or family/friend's property, I'd think differently. But this is just a cheapskate Californian trying to import their Leftist lifestyle and drive the neighborhood property values down, and the property owner is just trying to run a rent scam.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 7:09:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
This

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tiny home woman is native Idahoan. Moved to Reno Nevada in 2019 to help her mom after her grandfather died then moved back.

Property owner is the Californicator.
This

If true, that does change things a bit. I have far more sympathy for an Idahoan trying to find a place to live than I do for some Californian choosing to move here in a cheap trailer and destroying the neighborhood property values.

Am I being inconsistent and discriminating? Yes. And that's ok.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 7:13:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We are starting to get homeless infestations here, so that could explain the crackdown on this sort of thing. People in Idaho really don't want their neighborhoods to start looking like CA/OR/WA with homeless camps everywhere.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 7:17:26 AM EDT
[#46]
clicked on thread,based on title,expecting to see a dwarf that owns a home...
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 8:51:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I can see both sides of the argument.
She’s not on section 8 that’s a plus.
If her tiny home is discreetly located behind trees or a fence and not an eyesore I could see it being ok.
I really wouldn’t want to see more than one on a property not designated as a tiny home community though.
I think there’s a camping trailer on the property across from me the owners brother “single no other people” lives in they have it located behind the house out of sight.
There’s no drug activity or other civil nuisance from them and they all work.
View Quote

My son was renting back yard space from his friend for $400 a month to live in his back yard in a camper.  This was near St. George.  He would have to drain his black water into a tank and drive up to the Pilot gas station where they had an RV dump site. Did this for about 18 months.  Old ass camper trailer started falling apart due to age.  1989 model.  All the plastic parts were just brittle with age.  Roof started leaking and he was done with it. We gave the camper to the friend.
Last I heard he was going to use the chassis for a car trailer.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 10:42:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
What's stopping her from buying a small postage stamp sized piece of dirt to park the thing on?
View Quote

Probably would have to connect to sewer, water, and electric and meet the local building codes.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 10:49:45 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Meh, wastewater treatment plants give away composted shit every day for people to put on the ground for there gardens.
Hugh trucks also haul it away for compost to sell in bags to the public at lowes and home depot. Farmers also spread it on there fields.
So composted human waste isn't the boogeyman that you think is!
View Quote

The key word is "treated".  Anyone with an indoor cat knows that composting toilets, like (removed CoC) is full of shit.  I don't think treated human waste is a bogyman.  I worked in the Camilla GA sewage treatment plant, crawling around on my hand's and knees pulling weeds out of the treated shit, so we could sell it to farmers.  

Interesting fact for the day: Tomato seeds pass through the human digestive system and sewage treatment plant intact and sprout readily in hot humid conditions.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 11:14:34 AM EDT
[#50]
We have some of that here as well.  Caravans of campers roam around and squat on back streets until they get told to move.  No sewer hook up so some park over the  storm water runoff drain.  They've totally overwhelmed some of the parks here with run down motor homes, campers, and tents.  They get chased away every couple of months but start tricking back in later.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top