Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2006 3:58:53 PM EDT
I already have basic cell phone service with Cingular SIM Card type phone.

I have been thinking about picking up a Cingular compatible TREO 650 off of EBAY.

Can I just insert my current SIM card and be good to go?

Is there anything that has to be done on the Cingular side for me to be able to send and receive email from the phone?

I already carry a pocket PC and a phone and I would like to consolidate the two.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sharpknife
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:17:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the 650 on SprintPCS.

It does most of what I wanted - apps, email/web, games, music (with a large SD card).

It failed on IPSec VPN - they removed support a few weeks before I got it, but didn't bother mentioning it. Most people wouldn't care about this - but securely pulling up my work servers on my phone would be useful (customer support calls and such)

How do you feel about your phone rebooting? It does not do it during a call, but every so often (maybe once a week) switching apps it'll reboot (takes about 5 secs.)

The small amount of onboard memory makes upgrades a pain - in my case I backup, purge the unit, upgrade, restore. It should not be that hard.

I will probably pass this one on to my son when my contract is up and get something else (if it's "cool" enough).

I hear better things about the 700....

It really depends what you want it for, as a basic everything device it's ok. But for me it's like guns...I always want more....

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:12:01 PM EDT
[#2]
TeamDoh
That doesn't sound to encouraging. I am not fond of re-entering data.

My useage would be minimul for apps, occasional spread sheet, word.
I have a bunch of  Engineering palm apps that I would want to be able to run, but they run on just about any Palm OS.

Still be interested to know if all I need to do is plug in the SIM card.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:13:39 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
TeamDoh
That doesn't sound to encouraging. I am not fond of re-entering data.

My useage would be minimul for apps, occasional spread sheet, word.
I have a bunch of  Engineering palm apps that I would want to be able to run, but they run on just about any Palm OS.

Still be interested to know if all I need to do is plug in the SIM card.

Thanks

YES SIMPLY INSERT YOur sim and your good to go.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:19:49 PM EDT
[#4]
thanks cluster
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:30:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Just - to be clear, I never have lost data because of the phone rebooting. That, like the upgrade process is doable, just a PITA.

The magic of the SIM card is the ESN and your provisioning data lives in it, not the phone (so no funky activation steps). I'm not sure about phone SW though - some of the features are carrier specific. Not a big deal since you'd probably reset the unit and clean load SW to begin with. Maybe cluster can chime back in.

Good luck!
Jay
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:57:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:54:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I would have thought the cost would be down a bit more on these since the 700 is out. I may have to wait on this a while. They seem to be still going for aroud $300.00 used
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top