Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/27/2002 8:39:16 PM EDT
Any good tips to do before hand or any good reads? It's been a while since I have taken any BIG tests,so Im a little rusty,do you have any tips?
Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 8:45:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah...DONT!  Unless you are sure that you want to join the service and know where YOU want to go.

I took a Pre ASVAB sample test, this was approx 7months after I had taken the GED. To say the least I scored high. I get a call from a recruiter, and junkmail in my mail box atleast once a month.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 8:45:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 8:52:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 8:56:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes math is not my strong point. Im good till I get to high level algebra.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 9:30:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, what SB said.  I got a 99 too.  I didn't mind the junk mail so much though.  I seriously thought about the Navy for a while.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 1:19:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Go to the restroom before the test. IIRC if you went to the restroom during the test you were not allowed to finish.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 7:37:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yeah, what SB said.  I got a 99 too.  I didn't mind the junk mail so much though.  I seriously thought about the Navy for a while.
View Quote

What made you change your mind?
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 12:25:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Just get a good nights sleep.  They will make you feel like a genius, and offer you all kinds of jobs.  Don't do it unless you really want to serve.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 3:01:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I too scored a AFQT of 99.  However, something like 40% of  High School Graduate applicants can not achieve a passing AFQT of 31 on this test.  The AFQT score should give you an indication of what percentage of recent High School grads you scored higher than, but average AFQTs have steadily declined for many years.  The grading was changed a little a few years back to differnetiate more in the middle, more high scores now pile up in the 99 percentile, whereas some of those testers might have previously been 95,96,97 etc.

Anyway, all you 99 AFQTs can pat yourself on the back.  You're theoretically smarter than 99% of High School Seniors.

If you fail, well, there's always the food service industry...
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 3:11:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 4:22:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Is there an online sample test?

I am curious of what type of questions they ask. I would take the exam myself, but I am unable to serve for medical reasons.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 5:09:21 PM EDT
[#12]
I would do the most basic things and go into the test well-rested and with a good breakfast on your belly. The night before, don't drink anything and maybe go see a movie. Going into any test with a clear head makes all of the difference in the world.

If you really feel the need to study (it won't hurt if you do), get one of the many guides offered by Amazon and do this: get up 30 minutes early every morning prior to the test and go over the test questions. You'll get in the routine of the test questions and be pretty fresh when you actually take the ASVAB.

Lastly, get it scheduled in the morning. I've found that I test better overall on morning tests than in the evening for all of the previous mentioned reasons.

Good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top