Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/9/2012 2:57:21 PM EDT
My daughter is sixteen...and driving. I am continuously preaching safety. I said, "You need to always have at least 1/2 tank of gas so you don't run out and get stranded. Her response..."Im not gonna run out..Im gonna have a couple of spare cans in the trunk at all times."
Link Posted: 7/9/2012 2:57:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My daughter is sixteen...and driving. I am continuously preaching safety. I said, "You need to always have at least 1/2 tank of gas so you don't run out and get stranded. Her response..."Im not gonna run out..Im gonna have a couple of spare cans in the trunk at all times."

my head hurts
Link Posted: 7/9/2012 3:04:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Got a text from my 17 year old neice last week. "Can I drive your truck to summer school?" Let me see. I saved for months and worked my ass off to finally have a truck to go hunting and fishing in. I just spent $1000 on tires. I said " Sure you can use MY truck all fucking summer and Ill just trus that you will only drivr it to school and back and not ride around with your idiot fucking boyfriend and tear my shit to peices. Id love to borrow my own fucking truck from you to take my trash to the dump on sundays and Id really love t borrow my own fucking truck from you to maybe go fishing every now and then this summer." I then get a text back. "Ok, god nevermind"
Link Posted: 7/9/2012 3:10:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Got a text from my 17 year old neice last week. "Can I drive your truck to summer school?" Let me see. I saved for months and worked my ass off to finally have a truck to go hunting and fishing in. I just spent $1000 on tires. I said " Sure you can use MY truck all fucking summer and Ill just trus that you will only drivr it to school and back and not ride around with your idiot fucking boyfriend and tear my shit to peices. Id love to borrow my own fucking truck from you to take my trash to the dump on sundays and Id really love t borrow my own fucking truck from you to maybe go fishing every now and then this summer." I then get a text back. "Ok, god nevermind"

Anger issues?
Link Posted: 7/9/2012 3:12:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You mad, bro?
Link Posted: 7/9/2012 3:12:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Dude, wow. Not saying I don't agree with your response, but wouldn't a simple 'no' have sufficed?
Link Posted: 7/9/2012 3:12:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/9/2012 3:13:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Pics of niece?
Link Posted: 7/9/2012 3:13:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/9/2012 3:14:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

When I was about that age, or maybe 17, I ran out of gas and had to call my Dad. He came out with a can of gas, and first thing he said, "Does the gas gauge work on this car?"  yes. "Then there's no reason to ever run out again."

Never ran out again, and I am pretty anal about never letting the level get to far below half.

Link Posted: 7/9/2012 3:14:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/9/2012 3:16:13 PM EDT
[#11]
You can't talk a teenager out of hubris.  You have to let 'em feel the burn once or twice.
Link Posted: 7/9/2012 3:16:58 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Girlfriend's 14 year old daughter said "You use big words and it makes me angry!" during conversation at dinner last week after I used several three syllable words in one sentence...LOL Idiocracy is happening for real.

Link Posted: 7/9/2012 3:18:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Girlfriend's 14 year old daughter said "You use big words and it makes me angry!" during conversation at dinner last week after I used several three syllable words in one sentence...LOL Idiocracy is happening for real.

What?

Link Posted: 7/9/2012 3:18:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK backstory the one time I let her borrow my truck she didnt make it out of the driveway before swiping it against my gf's car and leaving a big blue smear all the way down my driver side door. I thougt this was the thread where we vent about what irresponsible little turds teenagers are? Im really a good uncle I swear. Ill post pics later.
Link Posted: 7/9/2012 3:21:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anger issues?

Anger?  He seems calm as the day is long.  What makes you think he has anger issues?
Link Posted: 7/9/2012 3:21:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK backstory the one time I let her borrow my truck she didnt make it out of the driveway before swiping it against my gf's car and leaving a big blue smear all the way down my driver side door. I thougt this was the thread where we vent about what irresponsible little turds teenagers are? Im really a good uncle I swear. Ill post pics later.

For the record, I don't let anyone, outside of my immediate family (dad and brother), drive my truck.
Link Posted: 7/9/2012 3:21:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What?

It means he's left-handed.
Link Posted: 7/9/2012 3:22:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of the niece?
Link Posted: 7/9/2012 3:22:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was not really being serious. I would not lend my truck to anyone either.
Link Posted: 7/9/2012 3:23:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:

When I was about that age, or maybe 17, I ran out of gas and had to call my Dad. He came out with a can of gas, and first thing he said, "Does the gas gauge work on this car?"  yes. "Then there's no reason to ever run out again."

Never ran out again, and I am pretty anal about never letting the level get to far below half.

I had a similar circumstance, except the gas gauge didn't work.

Dad taught me to watch the trip meter.  It was cheaper than a fix and worked fine.  I still reset the meter every time I get gas.  Knowing your mileage is useful. Actually, when you drive a civic like mine, that's about the equivalent of a drag strip time slip.
Link Posted: 7/9/2012 3:24:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:

What, you cannot read the gauge?  Or does you vehicle really get mileage that bad?  I am down to less than 1/4 right now and I might fill up before coming home tomorrow.  Of course, I get 40+mpg and only drive 14m round trip to work, but hey.
Link Posted: 7/9/2012 3:29:17 PM EDT
[#22]
She meant Full cans...had to explain a few things...like it's July in Houston.
Link Posted: 7/9/2012 3:37:01 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What, you cannot read the gauge?  Or does you vehicle really get mileage that bad?  I am down to less than 1/4 right now and I might fill up before coming home tomorrow.  Of course, I get 40+mpg and only drive 14m round trip to work, but hey.

Just one of those things I do, it starts bothering me when it gets at half a tank and I have to fill it up.  A pet peeve I guess....

Link Posted: 7/9/2012 3:37:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pics of niece?

Dude, she's 17.

Mark it on your calendar and ask him again next year.

Link Posted: 7/9/2012 3:38:38 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pics of niece?

Dude, she's 17.
Mark it on your calendar and ask him again next year.

Damn it man, that is soooooooo wrong.
but I did raff

Link Posted: 7/9/2012 3:40:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/9/2012 3:40:47 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just one of those things I do, it starts bothering me when it gets at half a tank and I have to fill it up.  A pet peeve I guess....

Good idea since most fuel pumps today are cooled by the fuel in the tank.  Run them too low too often and that it can contribute to premature pump failure.

Link Posted: 7/9/2012 3:48:38 PM EDT
[#28]

My friend and I are watching Bullitt on cable and his nephews are in the room. They were born in the early and mid 90s.  Steve McQueen is borrowing the bar phone and using pay phones to check in when the youngest of the two states...

"Does this cop not have a cell phone?"

Link Posted: 7/9/2012 3:49:09 PM EDT
[#29]
She's operating a vehicle?

Link Posted: 7/9/2012 4:05:45 PM EDT
[#30]
I always fill up when the light comes on

Then again, I bought this pickup 2 months ago brand new, have 16k on it now
Link Posted: 7/9/2012 4:07:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Good idea since most fuel pumps today are cooled by the fuel in the tank.  Run them too low too often and that it can contribute to premature pump failure.

doing this might get you 11 more miles on your pump it is really of minimal benefit.
Link Posted: 7/9/2012 4:15:14 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Young women of ill breeding think every man in their lives is a provider. She'll learn eventually.

Link Posted: 7/10/2012 3:27:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think your dad handled that perfectly.  I had a friend whose father told him that 'E' was for 'Empty', not 'Enough'.  
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 3:47:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

My god.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 6:28:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My god.

God.

Link Posted: 7/10/2012 6:37:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like she has a future in the "service" industry.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 6:53:47 AM EDT
[#37]
49yr old obese obnoxious brother with the maturity level and fore thought of a 17yr old at times.

He drove to a nearby 7-11 for a big gulp at 11pm.  This 7-11 also has gas pumps.

On the way home he ran his wife's SUV out of gas as he was pulling in the driveway. Stalled out & sat halfway up the driveway.  Told her it was her fault for not putting gas in it. THEN told her the gas can was in the garage....empty gas can.  SHE had to work the next day.

He is gonna find divorce papers shoved up his dumbass one of these days.

Link Posted: 7/10/2012 7:12:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/10/2012 7:17:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The only response is "I offer my sincerest apologies for my superfluous verbosity.  I shall henceforth endeavour to minimize the complexity of my communications so that every dullard within close proximity may grasp my noble and meaningful concepts."
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 7:18:58 AM EDT
[#40]
when my sister started driving..(keep in mind this is a gearhead family, lots of old cars, grew up all around them)
calls my dad and says hey my truck is leaking water on the floorboard and its smoking from under the hood.
dad asked her well what does the water temp gauge say?
her: ohh, its full of water! seriously thought it was like the gas gauge...
tough old chevy was blowing steam like a steam locomotive... didnt hurt a thing just busted the heater core and needed a water pump.

Link Posted: 7/10/2012 7:19:25 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My god.

God.

Link Posted: 7/10/2012 7:21:57 AM EDT
[#42]
My 16yo is pissed that I didn't give him the ACOG I just bought. When I picked him up from work the other night he told me he wanted to by an ESEE Junglas.  Other than that, I got nothing.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 7:25:04 AM EDT
[#43]
Half a tank?

Really?

You folks must never go on long trips.  Doubling your stopped time in order to fill up every half tank?
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 7:26:12 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only response is "I offer my sincerest apologies for my superfluous verbosity.  I shall henceforth endeavour to minimize the complexity of my communications so that every dullard within close proximity may grasp my noble and meaningful concepts."

Nice! Needs a little of this since they were arguing-

Link Posted: 7/10/2012 7:28:38 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Half a tank?

Really?
You folks must never go on long trips.  Doubling your stopped time in order to fill up every half tank?

I fill up when I hit a half tank.

On long road trips it's usually at about 1/3 to 1/4 tank when I need to pee

I got in the habit in 08 when gas suddenly hit $4 and stations were rationing out $50 purchases with some even out of gas...I don't ever want to be stuck

Speed

Link Posted: 7/10/2012 7:31:01 AM EDT
[#46]

Link Posted: 7/10/2012 7:32:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
She meant Full cans...had to explain a few things...like it's July in Houston.

Nevertheless, she sounds like a good candidate for the Survival Forum.

Link Posted: 7/10/2012 7:33:53 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pics of niece?

Dude come on.

Link Posted: 7/10/2012 7:35:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anger issues?

I don't see any anger issues.  It is the frustration of dealing with a generation that feels they deserve everything for FREE.  My tact would have be slightly different....

"Of course you may use my truck in a sensible manner, but there is a cost involved for wear and tear on the vehicle.  It shall only be used to and from school and if you choose to abuse the privlege then no more truck.  The cost is X and it shall always be returned with a full tank."

My brother in law is learning the same lesson although much later in life.  He wrecked out one of my vehicles and then demanded the insurance money....You see in his mind since he was driving it was his money.  That did not work out the way he anticipated.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 7:37:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

When I started driving, my grandpa noticed once that my car was under a quarter tank. He looked at me and said "You know, it costs pretty much the same to drive around on the top half of the tank as it does the bottom half, but there's less chance you end up walking..."
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top