Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2001 11:41:22 AM EDT
my sons truck yesterday.  It seems that the 93 Chevy Blazer that I cosigned for him to buy, three years ago, is a stolen vehicle.  The vin number had been replaced.  The cops caught a guy who is going to testify on the rest of the theft ring.  He sold my son the vehicle.  I'm in the process of trying to get the insurance and the bank involved as he still owes money on the thing.  I think I'll use one of the companies that will check the title on the next used vehicle I buy.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 11:55:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Sorry to hear about that.

Probably a very good idea from now on to check the title before purchasing...or...buy new!  :-)

Good luck.

Link Posted: 8/23/2001 12:15:35 PM EDT
[#2]
If the bank holds you liable for the financing of the vehicle then you/your son have been the victims of a felony theft. Depending on how much money your son has paid so far, it may already be a felony theft. See your prosecutor and press charges then contact your states victim/witness assistance (the prosecutor can tell you how) and apply for reimbursement from the states victims compensation fund. You may end up getting all your money back. If the bank lets you out of the financing agreement then except for the money you have already spent, the bank is the victim. $.02 from a Peace Officer. Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 12:35:30 PM EDT
[#3]
carfax.com or if you know the right people have them run a twix on the vin #. sorry to hear about this man..
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 12:38:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Im in the business of securied loans.  10/1 you are out a truck and will still have to pay the contract off.
Sorry to hear that.
Riz
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 12:41:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't know very much about the topic, but let me say I will be praying for ya'll and that you get all your money back.
-Chuck
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 12:43:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't know very much about the topic, but let me say I will be praying for ya'll and that you get all your money back.
-Chuck

next time definately check the VIN!!!!!! eveen if they claim it to be new[uzi]
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 12:50:11 PM EDT
[#7]
They can make you pay even if you didn't know?

That sounds crazy.  Won't insurance cover it?
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 7:24:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
my sons truck yesterday.  It seems that the 93 Chevy Blazer that I cosigned for him to buy, three years ago, is a stolen vehicle.  The vin number had been replaced.  The cops caught a guy who is going to testify on the rest of the theft ring.  He sold my son the vehicle.  I'm in the process of trying to get the insurance and the bank involved as he still owes money on the thing.  I think I'll use one of the companies that will check the title on the next used vehicle I buy.
View Quote

1. Did your insurance company inspect the vehicle when you added it to the policy?  If they failed to check the vin and make sure it matched the 2nd number on the frame or whereever, you may have some grounds to go against them, too.

1A.  Did your DMV require an inspection when you got the car? Ssme as 1.

2. The title-checking companies might not have caught this if they just went by the VIN you read off the plate on the dashboard ot wherever it's located on your vehicle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top