Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2004 8:20:45 AM EDT
Just wondering  the Who, Where, and why my rifles get this name?
Such a vicious name for the rifles we all have come to love.
After previous thread I got to thinking “Just how did my rifles get this name”
The name Assault Rifle seems to have two different meanings to two different types of people.
To me and some of my friends who have or want them it means a rifle that is modified but looks like the same rifles some military units use.
To some other type of people it means a rifle that looks like and is used by the military, and /or street gang members to kill other people.

Is this name a exaggerated, over stated name for a weapon that the media can’t see a use for?
In closing just a thought and or a ponder, why such a evil name for something that has several uses.
My AR, I can use for hunting smaller vermin. (ground hogs, coyotes, farrel hogs, and wild dogs)
My MAC 90, I can use for larger animals such as deer.
Both where fairly cheap to buy. (especially the MAC 90)    

OUT  3.14159265
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 8:22:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Sport Utility Rifle.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 8:24:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Homeland Defense Rifle
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 8:27:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Both very good alternative names.

OUT 3.14159265

Link Posted: 10/31/2004 8:32:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Bill of Rights Defense Rifle
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 9:09:33 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

From Hitler - Sturmgewehr "Storm rifle."  The name first given to the StG44, the first rifle of its type and the one all modern military weapons are patterned after.  Mid-caliber, high-capacity (compared to five-round bolt-actions) magazine-fed selective-fire rifle or carbine with a pistol grip.  

That's the origin, anyway.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 9:12:56 AM EDT
[#6]
tszipper... your tag... hahahah!
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 9:15:47 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Bill of Rights Defense Rifle

Sounds like a rifle you'd use to defend yoursef against the bill of rights
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 10:21:17 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Historically speaking, it was Adolf Hitler who first came up with the term "Sturmgewehr" (Assault Rifle).  He gave that name to the then MP44 which was developed against Hitler's direct order that no German arsenal should be developing any new rifle; all gun production capacity should be focused on manufacturing machine pistol (sub-gun) such as the MP40.  Hence, to hide it from Hitler, the design team named it "MP44".  The rifle achieved great success with the German troops at the eatern front.  Reports of its performance sent by the field commanders finally reached Berlin, and they requested more of the new "rifles" to be sent immediately to the front.  They used the word "gewehr" instead of "machinenpistole".  Hitler asked, "What new rifles???  I ordered not to manufacture anymore new rifles!!"  But, instead of getting mad and executing the entire design team for violating his direct order, Hitler was to excited about the MP44 and he called it "Sturmgewehr" .... hence the name of the gun was changed to STG44.

Link Posted: 10/31/2004 10:37:25 AM EDT
[#9]
And the bottom line, in order to be a true "Assault Rifle" it has to be select fire which means that all these stupid anti-gunners are 100% wrong when they call our semi-auto AR15's and AK's "Assault Rifles".  
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 11:34:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Hitler.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 11:38:48 AM EDT
[#11]
The Democratic Party.

"We need to ban semi Auto Rifles" - Solution: Label them Assault Rifles.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 11:45:58 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
My AR, I can use for hunting smaller vermin. (ground hogs, coyotes, farrel hogs, and wild dogs)

AR works for deer and deer-sized (or slightly larger) upright bipeds too
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 1:19:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

AR works for deer and deer-sized (or slightly larger) upright bipeds too

Especially in .300 Fireball, same balistics as a 30/30 but with a 30rnd. mag in semi-auto. OH DEAER,LOL.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 3:00:17 PM EDT
[#14]
And during the 80's WE gunowners adopted the name "Assault Rifle" wholeheartedly.  It was Josh Sugarman (at that time, Handgun Control, now VPC) and that bunch started using the term "Assault Weapon".  This was to expand it to cover evil handguns, too.

They tried as much as possible to confuse the terms, switching from the military definition of "assault rifle" to the criminal definition, assault.

We need to keep using the terms defense, such as Homeland Defense Rifle.  I don't like the "Sport Utility Rifle" thing because it goes along with the European concept of the only legitimate reason for civilian ownership of firearms to be for "sporting purposes".  The UN bunch specifically deny self defense as being legitimate.

Thus my insistence on Homeland Defense Rifle rather than Sport Utililty Rifle.  

"Nothing sporting about it

Yes, my AR-15 IS made for killing people.

Some people need killin'."
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 3:09:21 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

From Hitler - Sturmgewehr "Storm rifle."  The name first given to the StG44, the first rifle of its type and the one all modern military weapons are patterned after.  Mid-caliber, high-capacity (compared to five-round bolt-actions) magazine-fed selective-fire rifle or carbine with a pistol grip.  

That's the origin, anyway.

You mean, intermediate cartridge.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 3:11:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Defensive Weapon....that is what it is....that is what I call mine.
The name assault weapon is propaganda....and people like us should not be using it.

Link Posted: 10/31/2004 3:53:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Homeland Defense Rifle
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 4:11:23 PM EDT
[#18]
How about we just call the one that I own "MY RIFLE" and tell the government to keep their damn hands off of "MY RIFLE" or they'll get it bullets first.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 4:15:42 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Historically speaking, it was Adolf Hitler who first came up with the term "Sturmgewehr" (Assault Rifle).  He gave that name to the then MP44 which was developed against Hitler's direct order that no German arsenal should be developing any new rifle; all gun production capacity should be focused on manufacturing machine pistol (sub-gun) such as the MP40.  Hence, to hide it from Hitler, the design team named it "MP44".  The rifle achieved great success with the German troops at the eatern front.  Reports of its performance sent by the field commanders finally reached Berlin, and they requested more of the new "rifles" to be sent immediately to the front.  They used the word "gewehr" instead of "machinenpistole".  Hitler asked, "What new rifles???  I ordered not to manufacture anymore new rifles!!"  But, instead of getting mad and executing the entire design team for violating his direct order, Hitler was to excited about the MP44 and he called it "Sturmgewehr" .... hence the name of the gun was changed to STG44.

I think "Sturmgewehr" loosly translates to "Storm Gun", Wich we Americans changed to Assault rifle because it sounded cool!  
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 4:56:12 PM EDT
[#20]
The term ASSAULT WEAPON achieves a goal . It is to scare and confuse the naive and ignorant people into believing you have a machine gun and then they ask the same people " What does he need with a gun like that!" This saying is what I say all the time " Fear is applied where control is desired ." ......Think about how true that statement is .                 HAMMER OUT
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:14:04 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
tszipper... your tag... hahahah!

Ha Ha never saw it like that!!!

Out 3.14159265
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:19:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Homeland Defense Rifle

I no longer own a assault rifle. Thanks for the history and insight.
I have to say very insightful.
Thanks.

OUT 3.14159265

Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:21:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Like Pie?

Railgun....
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:28:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Liberals don't use Logic.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top