Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2009 6:08:59 PM EDT
I'm watching these movies for the first time. (I'm on the 2nd one).  

In the first movie, what is the whole deal with how Beckett (tom berenger) holds the sniper rifle with his arm's crossed and shoots his pistol while simultaneously doing a lunge?  

In the 2nd movie, I cringed when I heard him say a mosin was one of the finest GERMAN weapons ever made.  

Pics:

Arms crossed:

Lunge thing:

Also for good measure:

These are good movies
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 6:12:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Arms crossed was a technique taught in the 60's through at least the mid 80's.  I taught it to my platoon members at Ft. Ord and Hunter Liggett until the mid 80's.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 6:15:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Pretty sure it was a mauser they were talking about.

ETA: yup, he says mauser 7.92  at 37:22
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 6:15:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Arms crossed was a technique taught in the 60's through at least the mid 80's.  I taught it to my platoon members at Ft. Ord and Hunter Liggett until the mid 80's.

I've never seen it before.  Why teach that?

Quoted:
Pretty sure it was a mauser they were talking about.

He says mauser 7.92 but it isn't.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 6:15:20 PM EDT
[#4]
It's ironic, that billy zane is in a more tactical observation position (shadowed), than Bad Ass Beringer (in the wide open, fully exposed, sunny).
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 6:15:22 PM EDT
[#5]
that isn't meant to bee a lunge, but a modified kneel. i am not sure why he is doing it-i have seen it common amongst SPETSNAZ/Russians, no so much americans
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 6:17:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 6:19:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Did you notice every shot was "one thousand yards"??????????  The ranch even had the outbuildings built a thousand yards from the house.  Hoo boy!  >makes wanking motion<

HAHAHAHAH no I didn't think about that.  Beckett was a BAMF though being out in the open and then sticking his face in poo so he wouldn't get caught.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 6:21:36 PM EDT
[#8]
As to the pistol thing, if I remember correctly it was after he was tortured and his right hand was injured thus he had to switch to his off hand.  Not sure why he did that technique, but it's a movie.

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 6:23:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
As to the pistol thing, if I remember correctly it was after he was tortured and his right hand was injured thus he had to switch to his off hand.  Not sure why he did that technique, but it's a movie.

He did the lunge earlier in the movie before his finger got 'chopped' off.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 6:24:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 6:24:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It's ironic, that billy zane is in a more tactical observation position (shadowed), than Bad Ass Beringer (in the wide open, fully exposed, sunny).

More light for the cameras
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 6:25:48 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you notice every shot was "one thousand yards"??????????  The ranch even had the outbuildings built a thousand yards from the house.  Hoo boy!  >makes wanking motion<

HAHAHAHAH no I didn't think about that.  Beckett was a BAMF though being out in the open and then sticking his face in poo so he wouldn't get caught.

The crawl on the ranch reminded me of the crawl carlos Hacthcock described in his book to make the shot on the NVA general (IIRC, he said he could safely move as fast as the wind blew the blades of grass)

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 6:26:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I've shot a pistol during a lunge/fall/dive.

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 6:26:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I am pretty sure he did the funky crouch before they took his finger. I have tried to duplicate the wonderful stance when I was young and it didnt work really well
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 6:28:01 PM EDT
[#15]
It's just a movie, watch it for entertainment value and it's fun.

Kinda like when a mechanic/drag racer watches fast and furious. If you don't take it light heartedly, you'd puke in your own mouth and try to gnaw open your own carotid artery within 5 minutes.

And don't get me started on Torque or Biker Boys if you've ever owned a motorcycle and aren't a complete douche.

It's Hollywierd, take it for that and drink some beers and it will be ok.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 6:29:20 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I'm watching these movies for the first time. (I'm on the 2nd one).  

In the first movie, what is the whole deal with how Beckett (tom berenger) holds the sniper rifle with his arm's crossed and shoots his pistol while simultaneously doing a lunge?  

In the 2nd movie, I cringed when I heard him say a mosin was one of the finest GERMAN weapons ever made.  

Pics:

Arms crossed:

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd23/LatexDucky/4858.png

He was observing that "dude" that had been following them or whatever. He didnt give a shit if he saw him, as he "was the best tracker" or some shit.

Lunge thing:

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd23/LatexDucky/endofmovie.png

Wasn't this after he was beaten and had one of his fingers piano wired off by the ex cia guy? He couldnt shoot with his right hand since his trigger finger was gone so he was trying to shoot offhand but couldn't steady the pistol for crap.

Also for good measure:

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd23/LatexDucky/5949.png

These are good movies

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 6:32:45 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

All that's wrong with those movies and you managed to home in on the one thing that's not?

BTW, that shooting position and variants of it were even being used by Elmer Keith to shoot rifles in the 1920s.

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 6:33:48 PM EDT
[#18]
I've shot rifle with the arms-crossed thing. It works ok.

The rest of the it... eh, it's at least as good as "Shooter"
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 6:37:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

All that's wrong with those movies and you managed to home in on the one thing that's not?

BTW, that shooting position and variants of it were even being used by Elmer Keith to shoot rifles in the 1920s.

lol
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 6:38:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Now I need to puke, Shooter=
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 6:45:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Its back. We were taught it at last drill. Its the new THIRD shooting position in Army BRM Qualification. I shot 38.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 6:45:41 PM EDT
[#22]
It can be a stable technique in the field and is best used when you need to get off a fairly quick shot.  You can do it humping a ruck as youe arms are clear.  I don't think it can be doen with Interceptor or Dragon Skin, but I'm going to try it again.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 6:52:36 PM EDT
[#23]

I've tried reading this book, but haven't been able to get past some of the overdone "descriptions" of bullet impacts.

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 6:57:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 7:11:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Billy Zane's character does not use a HK MSG-90.

It's a HK SRT-9(TC) which is a 'civilian' version of the HK PSG-1, but still keeps the iron sights.

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 7:12:19 PM EDT
[#26]
i have to be honest i havnt watched any of these movies in their entirety.

something i will fix by next week.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 7:42:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Billy Zane's character does not use a HK MSG-90.
It's a HK SRT-9(TC) which is a 'civilian' version of the HK PSG-1, but still keeps the iron sights.

That guy really annoys me for some reason, I don't know why. I think he's the reason I don't like the movie
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 7:53:30 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now I need to puke, Shooter=

Read the Book...... It kills me how they fucked up such an AMAZING book

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top