Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/27/2009 9:01:21 PM EDT
Rant mode on:

I've been reading various areas of Arfcom all day, in between work and going about my day.  And I swear, no fewer than 10 or 12 times today alone, I ran into someone claiming that they "lost their guns in a tragic boating accident."  

Now, what's really annoying is that each time this is stated, the person doing so acts like they're the first one to ever declare such a thing!  The context in these posts suggests that the people parroting this cliche are really proud of how clever they are to have said such a thing.  As if the exact same sentiment hasn't been repeated - word for word - about 5,000 times in the last month alone.

Ok guys, got it.  We know that no one is going to get your guns because you "lost them in a tragic boating accident."  If you must parrot this overused cliche, please, PLEASE stop acting as if you're the first one to ever think of it.

Ok, I feel better.  Rant mode off.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:02:03 PM EDT
[#1]
And so it... well, you know...
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:02:56 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Rant mode on:

I've been reading various areas of Arfcom all day, in between work and going about my day.  And I swear, no fewer than 10 or 12 times today alone, I ran into someone claiming that they "lost their guns in a tragic boating accident."  

Now, what's really annoying is that each time this is stated, the person doing so acts like they're the first one to ever declare such a thing!  The context in these posts suggests that the people parroting this cliche are really proud of how clever they are to have said such a thing.  As if the exact same sentiment hasn't been repeated - word for word - about 5,000 times in the last month alone.

Ok guys, got it.  We know that no one is going to get your guns because you "lost them in a tragic boating accident."  If you must parrot this overused cliche, please, PLEASE stop acting as if you're the first one to ever think of it.

+87

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:03:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:04:04 PM EDT
[#4]
And so it begins...

Post edited by CTD.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:04:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, I'll tell you what, I was on the lake today and.....oh....wait
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:04:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I hope your guns get lost...in well you know...
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:04:34 PM EDT
[#7]
yeah, well your new here, you don't rate to complain yet.

come back in a few years and we'll see about listening to your rant then.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:05:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Shit, arfcom came along way after that phrase was coined. It's just used here excessively.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:05:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Mexicans got all mine.  After the tragic...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:05:54 PM EDT
[#10]
you only need a .22 and a .38
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:06:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
And so it begins...

Post edited by CTD.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:07:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
And so it begins...

Post edited by CTD.

FU Arock x 87
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:07:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I've never owned a gun.  I've just been trolling Arfcom for the last 4 years.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:09:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Rant mode on:

need a tissue now ?

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:12:19 PM EDT
[#15]

StephenNW

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:13:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
And so it begins...

Post edited by CTD.

FU Arock x 87

I was going to say that, you bastard.    
Now all I got is something lame about taking fore on a plane...

ETA:   Fire, dammit.
OK, it's late, I've been drinking, now I'm foing to bed.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:14:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Rant mode on:

STFU Newbie.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:15:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Negative 10 score for that rant.  It is just that, a cliche.  Meant to be humorous.  If you don't find it to be so, use your mouse to move on.  I have never used it, but it is a damn good story if ever needed.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:16:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rant mode on:

STFU Newbie.

LOL!  Must have hit a nerve!
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:16:41 PM EDT
[#20]
There is what, 100,000 members on AR15.com? It's no wonder the phrase isn't used more

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:17:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Negative 10 score for that rant.  It is just that, a cliche.  Meant to be humorous.  If you don't find it to be so, use your mouse to move on.  I have never used it, but it is a damn good story if ever needed.

Yeah, and it is humorous...the first couple of times you hear it.

The 215th time?  Not so much.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:18:47 PM EDT
[#22]
We need a new ARFcom saying: LGIATBA (Lost Guns In A Tragic Boating Accident).
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:18:57 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rant mode on:

I've been reading various areas of Arfcom all day, in between work and going about my day. And I swear, no fewer than 10 or 12 times today alone, I ran into someone claiming that they "lost their guns in a tragic boating accident."

Now, what's really annoying is that each time this is stated, the person doing so acts like they're the first one to ever declare such a thing! The context in these posts suggests that the people parroting this cliche are really proud of how clever they are to have said such a thing. As if the exact same sentiment hasn't been repeated - word for word - about 5,000 times in the last month alone.

Ok guys, got it. We know that no one is going to get your guns because you "lost them in a tragic boating accident." If you must parrot this overused cliche, please, PLEASE stop acting as if you're the first one to ever think of it.

Ok, I feel better. Rant mode off.

STFU Newbie.

LOL! Must have hit a nerve!

DISSENG... aw, nevermind.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:19:29 PM EDT
[#24]
THIS...will not end will
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:20:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I forgot to tell you about my other rant.

It involves people who don't know the difference between "your" and "you're".

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:20:58 PM EDT
[#26]
What are ya gonan do if someone says it to your face, blade @ 45 degrees?
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:21:25 PM EDT
[#27]
I would say" and so it begins"
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:23:10 PM EDT
[#28]
So...how does someone "act like they're the first one to ever declare such a thing!" over the internet, with written words?
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:25:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
So...how does someone "act like they're the first one to ever declare such a thing!" over the internet, with written words?

It's implied.

You're obviously a racist.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:25:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I forgot to tell you about my other rant.

It involves people who don't know the difference between "your" and "you're".

How many times did you proofread that to make sure you didn't mess up anything?

EAT:  I would have said "mess anything up", but I  didn't want to split any infinitives or anything.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:27:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

'Tis not hard to discern how happy people are with themselves after having written this.  I guess "you have to be there" to get it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:28:31 PM EDT
[#32]
If you saw how many guns these guys carry around in their boats, you wouldn't be so surprised that they capsize so easily.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:29:03 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

'Tis not hard to discern how happy people are with themselves after having written this.  I guess "you have to be there" to get it.

that's the point. you weren't "There"

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:30:19 PM EDT
[#34]
See, the thing is, there are so many people in the world, and most of them don't stop by here.  So the phrase continues to be of great efficacy among the general population.  And if any of my acquaintances are ever questioned, they only have to say one thing . . .  It's so much simpler this way.

eta: rant 2/10 cuz you forgot these:

tag
ibtl
in on x

etcetera

and you failed to provide a statistical chart backing up your claim ( that would be the 'pics' part ) with actual analysis.  Anybody can throw numbers around, but if you're going to say something like that, you should have some data to prove that you are right.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:31:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

that's the point. you weren't "There"

Oh, OK.  You're right.  I must be imagining things.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:31:23 PM EDT
[#36]
I've never said that.  Though I did lose a lot of my guns in a tragic spelunking accident.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:33:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Rant mode on:

If people are going to be smart about it, they wouldn't "parrot" it until necessary.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:37:24 PM EDT
[#38]

I have made recovery attempts....

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:38:32 PM EDT
[#39]
So it begins.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:39:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Don't let the door hit ya on the way out.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:41:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:41:42 PM EDT
[#42]
sand. mangina.

'nuff said.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:45:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see.  
Perhaps you could go back to one of the posts you are complaining about, copy some of the context you are referring to, and paste it here so we can all see how easy it is to discern the way the original poster was acting as if they are the first one to ever use the offending phrase.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:45:34 PM EDT
[#44]

That's great... I haven't been Rickroll'd since my tragic boating accident
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:49:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see.  
Perhaps you could go back to one of the posts you are complaining about, copy some of the context you are referring to, and paste it here so we can all see how easy it is to discern the way the original poster was acting as if they are the first one to ever use the offending phrase.

Yeah, I suppose I could.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:51:09 PM EDT
[#46]
I suggest we start using:

"Guns were stolen by a Mexican drug cartel."

It will seem more believable.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:51:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Rant mode on:

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:54:30 PM EDT
[#48]
9mm is so much better than .45 acp
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:54:32 PM EDT
[#49]
I used mine in the 2nd revolution.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:55:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I used mine in the 2nd revolution.

Now, was that one fought because they banned boats?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top