Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/22/2012 7:11:32 PM EDT
What are the odds out of a 100 cars and two fatalities it was them. You never know.  First responders did not even know there was a suburban under the semi truck for four hours.

Send some prayers up for the family guys.

Link
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:14:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Prayers inbound.  Sorry for your friend's family members.  That is terrible.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:15:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow.  

Life is so fleeting.

I'll keep them in my prayers.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:15:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Hopefully they didn't suffer during the 4 hours

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:16:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Soory to hear that. Give your friend whatever helps he/she needs.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:17:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hopefully they didn't suffer during the 4 hours

First thing i thought of.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:18:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Prayers sent/
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:20:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Right around the corner from me. Prayers sent.

Wes
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:20:44 PM EDT
[#8]
prayers sent

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:22:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Fuck
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:22:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:27:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Where was this?

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:29:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Where was this?  

Just outside of Beaumont, TX...

Prayers sent...
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:29:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Where was this?  

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:30:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Sorry for your bad news.

Its true , in life . .. . you never do know when your time is up . Enjoy it while you can.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:30:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Sorry to hear that.  Prayers sent.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:34:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:35:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Prayers sent.

I need to call my sister, she lives in La Porte.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:38:00 PM EDT
[#18]
I am sorry for your loss. My question is, how do 100 cars pile up? Was nobody driving at a safe following distance? Not trying to be a dick at all or blame your friends at all. I'm just curious as to how this could happen as it seems completely avoidable unless you're on an ice laden freeway or something.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:41:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Prayers sent. "Life can change in the blink of an eye".
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:42:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I am sorry for your loss. My question is, how do 100 cars pile up? Was nobody driving at a safe following distance? Not trying to be a dick at all or blame your friends at all. I'm just curious as to how this could happen as it seems completely avoidable unless you're on an ice laden freeway or something.

More than likely heavy fog, we have been having issues with it all week.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:42:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:46:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

We have thick fog during the spring and fall that suddenly appears. I've driven into fog that you could see about 10 feet in front of you.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:47:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Very thick fog along that stretch of interstate (IH-10) at the Jefferson county line.

Wes
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:48:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I am sorry for your loss. My question is, how do 100 cars pile up? Was nobody driving at a safe following distance?  

Heavy traffic/heavy fog. It was thick this morning. Things can go south in a hurry.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:50:59 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Extremely heavy fog + interstate = this type of wreck isn't as avoidable as you'd imagine.  Think about it...

-You can't see anything, so you're unsure how much distance you have between you and the car in front of you.  Could be a few lengths, could be a few miles.

-You can't see anything, so you're unsure what speed to travel to move along with traffic.  You could be barreling towards someone, or have someone barreling towards you.

When your situational awareness is zero you're pretty much fucked.  If you're going too slow someone might rear end you, if you're going too fast you might hit someone going slow or stopped, if you're pulled over you might get hit, etc.  The only safe option in a situation like this is to not be driving in those conditions.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:51:11 PM EDT
[#26]
We probably know each other then.

While I never met his parents, I feel terrible for the families loss. My prayers are definitely out to the family.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:09:59 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Extremely heavy fog + interstate = this type of wreck isn't as avoidable as you'd imagine.  Think about it...

-You can't see anything, so you're unsure how much distance you have between you and the car in front of you.  Could be a few lengths, could be a few miles.

-You can't see anything, so you're unsure what speed to travel to move along with traffic.  You could be barreling towards someone, or have someone barreling towards you.

When your situational awareness is zero you're pretty much fucked.  If you're going too slow someone might rear end you, if you're going too fast you might hit someone going slow or stopped, if you're pulled over you might get hit, etc.  The only safe option in a situation like this is to not be driving in those conditions.

I didn't know that fog was a big problem there. It's something I don't even think about having lived in Phoenix, AZ all of my life.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:12:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Astonished it could include that many cars.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:47:19 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This, fucking fog, Please tell everyone you know to pull off the road at a safe place and do not drive in the fog. Praying for the victims.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 3:06:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Prayers sent

I saw this on the news this morning and prayed that none of the members here were involved in the crash, its sad to see the the two that died were known by a member.

Again prayers sent.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 3:28:08 AM EDT
[#31]
very sorry to hear. I read that in the Houston news yesterday and was horrified. They say over 140 vehicles involved.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 3:28:46 AM EDT
[#32]
I forsee 100 traffic tickets at least being issued.

Driving at unsafe speed for conditions, etc

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:21:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Last time i lived in CA there were two massive pileups in one year. One was near L.A. somewhere due to heavy traffic and big dust storm. The other was near Sacramento due to heavy traffic and dense fog. Both times drivers should have been a little more cautious with the poor visibility.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:24:10 AM EDT
[#34]
My best childhood friend lives in Orange.  He is constantly telling me about the horrible traffic and accidents on I-10 between Orange and Beaumont.

He avoids I-10 as much as possible.  You'd think all the construction they've been doing almost nonstop for the last 10 years would make things safer.

LC
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:26:48 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

The article said it was fog combined with speed....

Sorry for your loss, OP.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:27:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:27:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Likely the fog combined with dumbass drivers.  I would bet many in that situation were going too fast and/or didn't have their lights on... not that the latter would help all that much in really dense fog.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:30:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Prayers sent buddy!. God bless you man.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:12:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Prayers up!
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:23:54 AM EDT
[#40]
I know it was pretty foggy yesterday.. I am sending my prayers
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:29:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:37:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Sorry for your bad news.

Its true , in life . .. . you never do know when your time is up . Enjoy it while you can.

Especially on the road.  Things can happen in the blink of an eye.

Get up in the morning, put your socks and shoes on, step out for a routine day, and end up dead before you're ten miles from the house.

Sorry about your friends parents OP.  His Thanksgiving Days will never be the same, the poor man
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:55:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Just read this was Mac Machowicz wife's parents.

Thought's are with y'all.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:07:40 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep. close enough to the coast that the fog can blow in and its really dense.
have been in it once where you had to open the door and look down to see the stripes on the road.

sorry for your friends loss. live a few minutes away
my aunt stopped to take some pictures near baytown and that 3 minute stop kept them out of it. amazing how fragile life can be
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:15:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Sorry to hear of the loss.

I-10 has had a few fog-related incidents. Remember LA a while back? It was 100 cars or so as well.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:23:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The only safe option is to not drive into a fog bank. If a fog bank overtakes you get as far onto the shoulder as possible and full stop. leave your flashers on and wait for the fog to clear.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:30:31 AM EDT
[#47]
Prayers sent,

Weird, I am riding passenger exactly there when I saw this thread.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:38:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Not to make light of this but after driving from Dallas to Austin last week I can understand why this happened. TX has some of the worst drivers I have seen yet. Left lane campers at 75 MPH with the right lane wide open, tail gating like you wouldn’t believe,  construction everywhere, clueless drivers in shit vehicles and elderly cutting over 3 lanes of traffic to make an exit at the last possible moment while doing 80 MPH cutting off everyone just behind them. HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!

It was like driving to Vegas from Socal on new years eve.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:47:53 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Not to make light of this but after driving from Dallas to Austin last week I can understand why this happened. TX has some of the worst drivers I have seen yet. Left lane campers at 75 MPH with the right lane wide open, tail gating like you wouldn’t believe,  construction everywhere, clueless drivers in shit vehicles and elderly cutting over 3 lanes of traffic to make an exit at the last possible moment while doing 80 MPH cutting off everyone just behind them. HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!

It was like driving to Vegas from Socal on new years eve.

This man is correct, Texas drivers are fucking retarded.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:50:36 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top