Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2005 1:07:54 PM EDT
they put over double my fee in my bank account. I just checked my account.

Should I keep it or tell them they overpaid me?
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:08:59 PM EDT
[#1]
maybe they liked you
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:11:10 PM EDT
[#2]
TAke the extra out and put it in a savings account. See if they find their mistake and ask for it back. Sure as hell you spend it, they will ask for it back.
Keep the interest and buy a new toy.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:13:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd tell them, they might be testing you to see if you are honest. Or they just messed up, I'd call em, tell em and ask if they made a mistake or were impressed with your work and rewarded you for it. Depending on what you do you might make a heck of a lot more off them long term being honest in the short term.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:14:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
TAke the extra out and put it in a savings account. See if they find their mistake and ask for it back. Sure as hell you spend it, they will ask for it back.
Keep the interest and buy a new toy.

+1
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:17:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'd tell them, they might be testing you to see if you are honest. Or they just messed up, I'd call em, tell em and ask if they made a mistake or were impressed with your work and rewarded you for it. Depending on what you do you might make a heck of a lot more off them long term being honest in the short term.

+1

Are you a thief or are you a man of integrity?
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:18:27 PM EDT
[#6]
It took them long enough to send me any payment. I finished the work back in January of this year and it took them this long to pay me something.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:19:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Maybe you should ask them for a statement, if it matches what you were paid then you are OK. If not, point out the mistake.  Simple.

G
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:20:05 PM EDT
[#8]
tell them
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:21:49 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
It took them long enough to send me any payment. I finished the work back in January of this year and it took them this long to pay me something.

your terms should be clearly specified in your contract (including late fees)

Be happy you were paid what you were owed and inform them of their overpayment - let them decide if any "bonus" for being honest is in order.

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:21:55 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I try and be an honest person, but getting screwed by companies when you worked for them doesnt go over well with me.

What if this guy depended on this money to feed the family or something. Maybe you should bank it and collect the interest for the 8 months they screwed you then give them a call.

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:23:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Well put.  Well, what's your decision?
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:26:22 PM EDT
[#12]
It's good to know that the people of ARFCOM are men on consience and principles.

I'll call them on monday. The money was transfered yesterday...
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:30:06 PM EDT
[#13]
They probably paid you extra for the long delay...

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:36:27 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
They probably paid you extra for the long delay...

I agree.

However i would call them anyway. Might score some points with them by doing so.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:39:17 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2

Man up and do the right thing.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:42:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Was it 2 entries credited to your account or just 1 entry for double the amount?

My employer direct deposited a paycheck many years ago, but it showed up as 2 seperate entries for the same amount.  

Found out the next day that the accounting dept. screwed up and double deposited everyone's paycheck.  

2 days later one of deposits was "withdrawn" from our accounts.  It was nice while it was there!!

Ask 'em about it, I would.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:46:42 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Was it 2 entries credited to your account or just 1 entry for double the amount?

My employer direct deposited a paycheck many years ago, but it showed up as 2 seperate entries for the same amount.  

Found out the next day that the accounting dept. screwed up and double deposited everyone's paycheck.  

2 days later one of deposits was "withdrawn" from our accounts.  It was nice while it was there!!

It's one credit that's more than double my fee. Actually, it was a nice surprise to see the deposit. I was about to take these guys to litigation.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:47:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:49:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Knowing you did the right thing is worth more than anything you'll spend the money on.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:52:45 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's one credit that's more than double my fee. Actually, it was a nice surprise to see the deposit. I was about to take these guys to litigation.

I would definitely contact them about it.  

Especially considering the possible litigation.  

Maybe send them a letter and have them respond back.  

If they tell you in the correspendence to keep the extra $$, do it and file that letter...just in case....
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 2:03:27 PM EDT
[#21]
When you sign a direct deposit agreement it is a two-way deal. If they make an error they can withdraw the money from your account.

If you drained your account today, they could attempt to withdraw the money to correct the mistake and you would be in an overdraft & NSF situation.

I don't like DD, but seeing how it takes the bank 2 weeks to finalize paper there's not much choice.

I keep an input account and automatically sweep my pay every payday into an output account. That way any mistakes on the payee's part are left in the account and I get what I'm owed.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 2:07:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Honesty is the best policy

Let them know if they say forget it, go out and buy yourself a new AR15.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 2:09:52 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Honesty is the best policy

Let them know if they say forget it, go out and buy yourself a new AR15.

What's the point of getting a Cali AR?
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 2:09:56 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
It's good to know that the people of ARFCOM are men on consience and principles.

I'll call them on monday. The money was transfered yesterday...

Bravo, John.  You'll be on the top of their list for their next consulting job (if they stay solvent).

I've seen similar situations go bad.  A police lieutenant in my agency (yes, a friggin lieutenant ) thought it would be a good idea to spend the extra $7,000 the IRS erroneously deposited in his account as his refund.

It hurt him a lot more than it helped him when they realized their mistake.  Now he'll be getting audited regularly for quite a while due to his lack of integrity.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 2:21:12 PM EDT
[#25]
"Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too many people who think that the
only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught."

-- former Congressman J. C. Watts
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 2:49:07 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

thief it is then.....charge them interest on the late payment if you must, but do the right thing.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:02:57 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Maybe you should ask them for a statement, if it matches what you were paid then you are OK. If not, point out the mistake.  Simple.

G

+1.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:09:16 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF? A thief takes that which is not his, he was given this money, directly into his bank account!

I'd take the money, the hell with them, if it's been 8 months since you did the job, that's interest. You don't owe them anything. If they ask for it back, that's another matter.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:43:30 PM EDT
[#29]
I'd call them and let them know.  In the end, as a consultant and business professional, all you really have is your integrity.  Let 'em know and that might be a lead-in for additional work.

~m38a1
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:47:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Honesty is not the best policy but rather the only policy.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:54:45 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

+1

The perfect answer.

HH
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:55:47 PM EDT
[#32]
No if, ands or buts, you're not entitled to keep it.  Want to loose you CCW or whatever permit you use to carry?  Want to be a convict?  Depending on the amount want ot be a felon?  Do the right thing.  The mistake will be found.  Maybe not right away, but it will be found.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:24:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Hold the $ for the amount of time they didn't pay you, then let them know about paying you extra.  Make sure it is in an interest paying account.  

Who checks their balance anyway?  
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:28:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Were you working for an Indian tribe?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:46:46 PM EDT
[#35]
I called them today and mentioned the overpayment. It turns out they got a new CFO and he found out that the other CFO wanted to blow me off. Evidently I came up with some procedures that made the other guy look bad. So, this new guy decides to pay me 250% of my fee.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:48:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Then by all means, buy me a gun..

Quoted:
I called them today and mentioned the overpayment. It turns out they got a new CFO and he found out that the other CFO wanted to blow me off. Evidently I came up with some procedures that made the other guy look bad. So, this new guy decides to pay me 250% of my fee.  

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:50:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Looks like honesty paid off. Forgive the pun.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:01:57 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I wish I could buy the guns you Texans can get. Heck, I can't even buy another AR.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:08:59 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
No if, ands or buts, you're not entitled to keep it.  Want to loose you CCW or whatever permit you use to carry?  Want to be a convict?  Depending on the amount want ot be a felon?  Do the right thing.  The mistake will be found.  Maybe not right away, but it will be found.

Should he tighten his CCW instead?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:09:16 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Congradulations, a reward for a job well done.  Enjoy with a smile..
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:11:23 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wish I could buy the guns you Texans can get. Heck, I can't even buy another AR.

Well somebody should get a new AR out of this and since you can't have one..... and I need one.... a lot more than the other guy.

I think you should buy me a new gun.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:15:43 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well somebody should get a new AR out of this and since you can't have one..... and I need one.... a lot more than the other guy.

I think you should buy me a new gun.

Well, the good thing is that with the extra cash, I can afford to buy 4 new Bushmasters if California would allow it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:48:54 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF? A thief takes that which is not his, he was given this money, directly into his bank account!

I'd take the money, the hell with them, if it's been 8 months since you did the job, that's interest. You don't owe them anything. If they ask for it back, that's another matter.

Are you serious?

Allow me to present to you the same choice but in a different scenario.

An exterminator comes to your home to spray for termites.

After he leaves you notice that in all the crawling around, the exterminator's wallet had fallen out of his pants. Inside is about $500 in cash.

So, by your rational, it's morally acceptable for you to keep the exterminator's wallet? After all, you didn't "steal" it, right? It's not like you picked the guy's pocket while he was working...right?

John91498 was apparently overpaid for his services (we now know that not to be the case, but at the time Kroagnon posted it was still up in the air).

Somewhere there's an owner to the company that John91498 did work for.

That individual was possibly missing some money.

John91498 had an obligation, as a man of integrity, to bring the possible overpayment to their attention regardless of other factors involved (the fact that they stiffed him on the payment for 8 months, etc.).

You are either a man of integrity or you are not.

A man of integrity would have called the company to bring it to their attention.

This is a black and white issue.

You're either a thief or a man of honor in this case.

Congrats to John91498 for doing the right thing.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:58:53 AM EDT
[#44]
True Story:
When I started working for a company in Detroit (back in 1993), I had to give them a voided check for my direct deposit.

The first payday comes around and I go to check my account:  $2.5 million.  
No shit.

Their payroll company transfers payroll funds from their account into a special payroll account every week.  That week, they accidentally used my checking account as the account.

When none of the other deposits went through, they tracked it down real fast.
Took about 36 hours.
Unfortunately, it wasn't an interest-bearing checking account and I didn't make a cent.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:15:30 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
True Story:
When I started working for a company in Detroit (back in 1993), I had to give them a voided check for my direct deposit.

The first payday comes around and I go to check my account:  $2.5 million.  
No shit.

Their payroll company transfers payroll funds from their account into a special payroll account every week.  That week, they accidentally used my checking account as the account.

When none of the other deposits went through, they tracked it down real fast.
Took about 36 hours.
Unfortunately, it wasn't an interest-bearing checking account and I didn't make a cent.  

I consider myslef an honest man....but, BOY HOWDY, that woulda been REALLY tempting!!!!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:19:25 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
they put over double my fee in my bank account. I just checked my account.

Should I keep it or tell them they overpaid me?

Is there really a question? Tell them.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:39:17 AM EDT
[#47]
Just you're asking says alot about your integrity.

How would you like a mistake you made turned on you?

Edited: Didn't see your resolution. Glad to hear you manned-up and wasn't it nice to find out you were worth your work.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:49:19 AM EDT
[#48]
it is an ethical question and this is something that we deal with all the time.  We get double payments in all the time.  It is the company that cut the checks fault to call you and ask for it back.  The money is still theirs if they ask for it back with in 3 years.  But after that 3 years its yours for good.  

I collected over $25k in double payments from an airline company we did business with.  It was for them to tell us to refund the money.  We waited 3 years and spent the money  That company has now closed up.  

I nor the company I work for feel bad about this.  You really need to stand over the people that has the power to write checks in your office, they can wipe you out in a swipe of a pen!
Top Top