Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/19/2014 10:23:20 PM EDT
It seems like lot of people think media like comic books, animated movies/shows, and video games are meant only for children. I think this attitude stifles creativity. I think there should be more comics and animated films/shows that cover mature topics. I think American animation is geared too much toward adult comedy and children's entertainment. Can't we have an animated show or movie cover a serious topic like war or politics? Comic books have already started covering serious subject matter. When will animation grow up? If comics could move past super heroes I don't see any reason why animation should be relegated to adult comedy or childrens entertainment.

What genre would you want an adult animated TV series to be? Sci fi? Action? Fantasy?

http://nathan-e.com/Site/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/The_ACTIVITY_wallpaper.jpg
http://ifanboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/activity4_1.jpg
http://ifanboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/activity4_2.jpg
http://ifanboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/activity4_3.jpg
http://ifanboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/activity4_4.jpg

Would you watch an adult orientated animated series about Special Forces Operators?
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:32:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Ghost in The Shell.

ETA: Yes, yes I would.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:33:30 PM EDT
[#2]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rnF-h1tyho[/youtube]

Is this the closest we will get toward an adult oriented animated action series?
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:36:26 PM EDT
[#3]
For once I like a 1st post.

IBNC
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:39:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Is the reason why we don't have any action oriented animated series is because of the perception on animation people have towards animation? You know some people think only comics are for kids and should only cover the superhero genre.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:42:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is the reason why we don't have any action oriented animated series is because of the perception on animation people have towards animation? You know some people think only comics are for kids and should only cover the superhero genre.
View Quote

There's plenty of adult oriented animation. What's your point here?
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:43:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd watch it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:45:58 PM EDT
[#7]
My first choice would be Stephen King's Dark Tower series.  There are issues with making a live action version which are easily solved by animating it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:47:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AnimationAgeGhetto

http://nerdragereport.blogspot.com/2008/10/animation-age-ghetto-for-children-only.html

There is still the perception that anything animated is for kids.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 3:49:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ghost in The Shell.

View Quote

Yep, good one. Animation is alive and well in Japan. My personal favorites are Knights of Sidonia, Ergo Proxy, Texhnolyze, and Berserk.

Link Posted: 6/20/2014 3:54:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Any William Gibson book. (except his last one, it sucked)
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 3:57:28 AM EDT
[#12]
"Archer" anyone?
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 4:14:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Wasnt someone going to do an epic animated movie about the Korean War from the perspective of a Marine private?

What happened to that?
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 4:21:44 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

My first choice would be Stephen King's Dark Tower series.  There are issues with making a live action version which are easily solved by animating it.
View Quote
Heck yeah! That would be awesome.

Even though it was rabbits, Cat Shit One was awesome and would probably work with human character animation.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 4:33:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Some of the Avatar Comics (particularly the Crossed series) would be absolutely devastating if they were ever ported to animation.  

There are no boundaries they will not cross (no pun intended).

There's a free webcomic out there; I'm not sure if the content violates the CoC in some way so I'll leave you to search on your own.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 4:35:00 AM EDT
[#16]
In some senses we already have adult oriented animation: digital special effects. One of the benefits of animation was the ability to have characters do the impossible. That's no longer a limitation.

Unfortunately it hasn't really been used to enhance the stories. Instead it's gone the opposite direction: we now have live action cartoons.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 4:35:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Ghost in The Shell.

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/20/2014 4:39:30 AM EDT
[#18]

They need to make another Cat Shit One.

Link Posted: 6/20/2014 5:29:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Not only are comic books cool but they are linked with giving little boys better literacy. I think comics are actually important for any parent who has little boys for the literacy aspect alone.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 5:33:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Are you kidding me?  

Adult toons have been huge since the mid 90's.

Comedy Central
Cartoon Network/Adult swim
MTV
HBO

Been doing this for years, and pushing the art higher and higher.  The various styles seen over the past 20 years is amazing.    Not to mention the technical and stylistic influence of anime genres.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 5:33:54 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Not only are comic books cool but they are linked with giving little boys better literacy. I think comics are actually important for any parent who has little boys for the literacy aspect alone.
View Quote

This.  

I'll never understand why some parents discouraged reading that was entirely voluntary.  

Same goes for the lunatics that wouldn't let their kids read Harry Potter.  Thousands of pages...
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 5:34:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Black Lagoon might be worth a look for you, if anime is not a problem.  Not full on what you're after but certainly comes to mind for me.

Link Posted: 6/20/2014 5:34:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

http://nerdragereport.blogspot.com/2008/10/animation-age-ghetto-for-children-only.html

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol if you say so
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 5:37:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 5:37:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Polish animation sure is good

Paths of Hate

Link Posted: 6/20/2014 5:39:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Hey OP, is this first post really someone shilling for their buddy's anime project?

Because, that's what it looks like
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 5:40:00 AM EDT
[#27]

Plus, anytime I see "serious" animation it's still feels "ridiculous". At least when it's comedy that ridiculous feeling doesn't seem out of place.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 5:41:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Hey OP, is this first post really someone shilling for their buddy's anime project?

Because, that's what it looks like
View Quote

The dialog in that is garbage
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 5:42:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
http://37.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_liphezMCdd1qztqsao1_1280.jpg

Plus, anytime I see "serious" animation it's still feels "ridiculous". At least when it's comedy that ridiculous feeling doesn't seem out of place.
View Quote

Is that the uncanny valley?
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 5:48:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://37.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_liphezMCdd1qztqsao1_1280.jpg

Yeah, its a screenshot from the 30 Rock episode about it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:00:32 AM EDT
[#31]
The Boondocks yo!!!
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:04:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The Boondocks yo!!!
View Quote

What a load of absolute garbage.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:07:12 AM EDT
[#33]

As long as animated films like Frozen earn "One Billion Dollars!" and GI Joe:Resolute is stuck on Adult Swim, you will see more Frozen and less GI Joe.  Disney spent $150,000,000 on Frozen.  While I don't have the numbers, I would presume that much less was spent making GI Joe: Resolute.

Its a Chicken and Egg problem.  The studios won't spend $100,000,000 making cartoons for adults and the adults won't go see anime until it is high quality animation on par with a Disney film.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:08:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Go watch Black lagoon and then come back :)
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:18:00 AM EDT
[#35]

RIN:Daughters of Mnemosyne

Edit: Here's a bit of a review.

Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:27:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:33:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Yeah! That's it.

A brutal epic of a bitter forgotten war.  Didn't know it was a Graphic Novel.

The Korean War has far greater potential without Alan Alda preaching causes of the week.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:34:33 AM EDT
[#40]
http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/object/950/950634/Valkyria-Pack-Front_001.jpg

Ever heard of this? I heard it was fantasy mixed with WW2.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:36:50 AM EDT
[#42]
As long as it's westernized I can usually get behind it. I can never manage to take anime's art style seriously enough to watch it, unfortunately. I guess it really just doesn't gel with me correctly.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:43:24 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/object/950/950634/Valkyria-Pack-Front_001.jpg

Ever heard of this? I heard it was fantasy mixed with WW2.
View Quote

That reminds me of a PS2 game that came out years ago like 2001 called Ring of Red.  It was about Japan being taken without nukes by Allies and Soviets and ultimately halved.  Also mech technology existed since WW2 and the game has a conflict at the Japanese DMZ and there are references to the (then) current war in Vietnam and trying to recover a stolen mech from a communist spy. It was soooooo hard. Never beat it.  God that was a while agi.

I like some anime but can do without the cutesy art if the topic would be interesting.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:49:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Call me an "early adopter" of more adult animated shows. I still enjoy animation when done for a youthful audience (after the first 10 or so minutes of Frozen, it got really good - and if you notice the characters were totally Anime designs), but there have been some awesome non-youth themed Anime shows in particular.

Appleseed, GiTS, Patlabor, even some of the younger shows like Macross (Robotech here) and the like, have themes like death and lasting repercussions.

What needs to happen is a shift in perception by adults. I remember my mom babysitting some kids like 15 years ago and she put South Park on while the kids played. I about jumped out of my skin when she told me that. But for her, animation was all for kids.

It's changing now. More and more young people know about and watch animated shows that are not just for kids. Batman, Clone Wars, stuff like that.

I do welcome and encourage more and more people to get involved in the creation of new comics and animated shows. It's the only way for the audience to grow, is by having more content that more people will relate to.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:58:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Call me an "early adopter" of more adult animated shows. I still enjoy animation when done for a youthful audience (after the first 10 or so minutes of Frozen, it got really good - and if you notice the characters were totally Anime designs), but there have been some awesome non-youth themed Anime shows in particular.

Appleseed, GiTS, Patlabor, even some of the younger shows like Macross (Robotech here) and the like, have themes like death and lasting repercussions.

What needs to happen is a shift in perception by adults. I remember my mom babysitting some kids like 15 years ago and she put South Park on while the kids played. I about jumped out of my skin when she told me that. But for her, animation was all for kids.

It's changing now. More and more young people know about and watch animated shows that are not just for kids. Batman, Clone Wars, stuff like that.

I do welcome and encourage more and more people to get involved in the creation of new comics and animated shows. It's the only way for the audience to grow, is by having more content that more people will relate to.
View Quote

I have been a fan of animation for a long time, and was really excited when Pixar came out with a full length movie.  I was working night shift at the time, so I decided to see a mid-week matinee.  I get in line behind a woman with 2 small kids, and behind me there is another mom with a kid.  I get up to the window and say "One Adult for Toy Story."

Booth Drone: "One?  Adult?"

"Yes - one adult."

He pauses and slowly hands the ticket over, and I look over my shoulder and the woman with the kid is looking at me funny.  Great - they think I'm a pedophile cruising for a date.  

I enjoyed the movie anyway - now no one bats an eye if I go see an animated flick alone.  Though now I am interested in picking someone up - lots of MILFy goodness in there.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:59:53 AM EDT
[#46]
I haven't read comic books since Rogue Trooper and Watchmen, and that was ages ago.

And I tolerated anime (is that the appropriate word?) because the girl I was dating a few years back was really into it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 7:00:22 AM EDT
[#47]
Saving Private Ryan, Blackhawk Down, Full Metal Jacket, or The Hurt Locker.... but animated. Yes please.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 7:05:47 AM EDT
[#48]
Samurai Jack

Neon Genesis Evangelion 1.1, 2.2

Attack on Titan

Bleach

One Piece
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 7:12:33 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Saving Private Ryan, Blackhawk Down, Full Metal Jacket, or The Hurt Locker.... but animated. Yes please.
View Quote

You must see The Sky Crawlers and Wings of Honneamise. Not exactly apropos since you're looking for a real-world military animation and these are alternate worlds, but still excellent.

Full disclosure: Wings of Honneamise is my favorite anime of all time.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 7:15:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Cat Sh!t One been posted yet?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top